Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #31
Wrangler

Re: Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24

Plan B will be great. Hoping it comes together for you, Mike!

Okay, everyone, you have until 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 2 to get the link to your entry emailed to uwol@dvinfo.net. Looking forward to your interpretations of "interaction!"
Old September 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #32
Major Player

Are we uploading to our own Vimeo site or?
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #33
Wrangler

Check out rule #7 for all the details, Markus, and then shoot me an email! :)
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Check out rule #7 for all the details, Markus, and then shoot me an email! :)
Am I missing something..?!? Do I read the rules right when I'm suppose to get an email with the upload info (password) and then send you an email with the link to my film... I have not got any upload info on email and I have not change my email in the last 6 years.... I feel a bit stupid...? :S
Old September 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #35
Major Player

No worries, Markus. The new system is a bit confusing until you get used to it. Send Lorinda an e-mail at uwol@dvinfo.net to confirm that she has your address and to alert her that you are ready for the upload information. She will send you the user name and password for the UWOL Vimeo account for this round. Use that information to log into Vimeo and upload your video. Make it a Private video until it is time for the feedback threads. Send Lorinda another e-mail when done with the name of your video- you can also send a link to your video’s Vimeo page. This will make it easier for her to make the list of finished videos and make sure your name goes with the right video.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #36
Wrangler

Thanks, Mike! You did a much better job of explaining than I would have. :)
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #37
Trustee

OK, I have been working with an idea of interaction and I think it's not an easy task, if you ask me.
I'm not sure I'll manage to complete this round, but I'll do what I can to make something ready within the timelimit. It's not that we haven't had enough time this round, just me having a too busy "everyday" at the moment ;) anybody else out there :o)
OK, I have been stuck to my original idea (plan A) and today I got permission to use a clip of an old friend of mine - thank you PJ :)
I always struggle with my manus because norwegian is my first language. So I think the biggest challenge for me is to write and speak english. Of course there are challenges due to my technical skills, but thats the reason I joined DVINFONET and UWOL - to learn and improve.
My clips are gathered on the timeline, the hard part is as I mentioned - the narration.
I am using VegasPro and just downloaded the new 12 version.
This short will be the first to edit in the new version - puh, please all you nasty bugs, don't show up on my computer.
All the best to you Uwolers.
Geir Inge
Old September 30th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #38
Major Player

I got my film finished and uploaded... I'll try to make work a bit in the sound, I recorded it a bit hot and trying to get rid of the small distortion... any ideas? sound filter?

/Markus
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #39
Major Player

If the recording level was too high the distortion may be from high frequency clipping. Try using a multiband graphic equalizer to reinforce the highs you do have (turn the amplitude down a bit first). It might help, but if it is a human voice and the clip is in between two “normal” sounding clips it will be noticeable. If so, try some psychology. Use an ambiance filter, large room filter or just add a very small amount of reverb. The idea is to make the listener’s mind think “This was recorded in a different place” so that any differences will seem more acceptable.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #40
Major Player

Audacity is a good free audio tools program; worth a look.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #41
Major Player

thanks... I look in to it.. The recording is my voice during my self interview. I'll se if we'll get some good wether on monday, I may got som time to reshoot the interview...
Old September 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #42
Major Player

Hey Marcus,

I have exactly the same problem as you do with my voice track. I don't know what caused it, because during the recording, all the dials said there was no clipping...but there was. Just turning down the volume didn't help.

I was able to reduce the problem, but not eliminate it completely, with GoldWave, a free audio editing software.

1. Upload your clip with all it's mistakes.
2. Go into the effects filters.
3. Choose "expander/compressor", then "compressor"
4. In the presets, choose "reduce loud parts".

This helped some, but you will still hear a bit of clipping in my voice-over. I think it may be the microphone. Have to fix this soon.

Hope this helps.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Hi there!

I am a recent addition to the forum- I joined this Summer and entered the DV Challenge. I decided last minute to enter the UWOL and am finding myself running out of time. This is definitely a departure from what I normally shoot, but I wanted to challenge myself and get more involved with the community. Ruth, you inspired me to leap over!

Here's to an all-nighter!

Toni
Toni Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:13 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
I got my film finished and uploaded... I'll try to make work a bit in the sound, I recorded it a bit hot and trying to get rid of the small distortion... any ideas? sound filter?

/Markus
Hi,

I found this problem is coursed by having the audio a bit too high for some equipment. Its not your equipment that is in question but 3rd party - I'm sure the audio sounds great on your system. I have Avid media composer, with Edirol MA-15D speakers, but found if I allow the audio to go above -4dbFS then most low-mid end domestic speakers/amps for home cinema systems can't cope with the power. Also some encoding system also favor a small increase in levels, even when not required.

So, I find that limiting the audio to -6dbFS for the loudest points on the audio track works. In some cases a bit of compression so you can raise the average level. This only applys to domestic projects to stop distortion and give higher audio levels that some people like.

All the best
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:22 AM   #45
Major Player

Hi All,
I'm on the wall of shame for this project. Just haven't got time to complete the edit. Had paid work to do over the past week and now I have a open-air film fest to run at the weekend and site is very wet & cold. Ho the stress... Dam English weather.

Good luck guys & girls
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge