DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#24 - "Fields of Gold" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/511141-uwol-24-fields-gold-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge October 3rd, 2012 10:33 AM

UWOL#24 - "Fields of Gold" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

I have used all 4 minutes in this video.
Also an old clip (within the 10% rule) of my good friend Per Johan and me.
I am trying to explane interaction and what it means to me, being an amateur wildlife videographer.
I'm taking you to different places in Norway as I give you my thoughts of how to act and work in the fields.
To me, the wild is my "fields of gold" and the effect Mother Nature have on me is just unspeakable.
One just have to try it out for yourself, at least that's my opinion.
The Autumn is one of four seasons in Norway that have big changes in both weather conditions, colours and growth and gave me some challenge. Not everyday I have time to go out and shoot.
Finaly I chose these clips, put together in this short. From blue clear sky to rain and almost snow, but who is complaining as long as we can travel our fields of gold? Not me, thats for sure :)
I use 3 different cameras, as follow:
Canon XLH1, Canon HV30 and Canon EOS 600D.
The music score is from Sonicfire Pro, edited in Acid Pro 7.
Narration and filming by me. Narration is always a big task for me, as I struggle to get the right words.
I welcome your feedback and as always; good ideas and tip to improve my skills.
Hope you'll like it.

Markus Nord October 4th, 2012 01:53 AM

Re: UWOL#24 - "Fields of Gold" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Hej Geir Inge!

that's a nice looking film you got there Mr GIBB! and you grabed the true UWOL meeing... nice!

If I could suggest something that would be tow shot that you could have made a little shorter...

The last fight shot, just a few frames in the beguning (to get rid of the window frame).
The secund shot of the mård (don't konw the english name), just 2-4 frame to get rid of the zoom.

You could also have shot a few more cut aways during the computer scen, just to make it a bit more quicker.

But I have to say thet the moose shot was SUPER! love the myst!!!!

Takk!
/Markus

Simon Wood October 4th, 2012 04:28 AM

Hi Geir,

You always make honest and heartfelt films; and this one is no exception. You have captured the spirit of UWOL in this, and it was great to see some real life interaction has occurred between UWOL members out in the field. Keep up the good work!

Trond Saetre October 4th, 2012 04:43 AM

Hei Geir Inge,

You captured the UWOL spirit!
Very cool opening sequence from the air. Nice to get an overview of the area.
And I like how you built the story around the true purpose and spirit of the uwol and dvinfo.

Scary position you placed the camera at 3:26. Looks like it is right on the edge of a high cliff.

Narration was good and easy to understand as always.
Well done!!

Finn-Erik Faale October 5th, 2012 03:41 AM

It is always a pleasure to watch your films.
You have a good story as usual. I am so fascinated by the moose in the mist.
The stunning animal shots in the end have been a trademark for you. Very good!
Maybe the beginning with the scene from the air could be shortened a bit.

Paul Wood October 5th, 2012 06:02 AM

I also enjoyed this - but had some difficulty with the sound levels on the voice over, compared with the music levels.
A nice subject, but I think I would have also cut some of the more general footage, and concentrated more on the great wildlife shots to add to the strength of the film.

Ruth Happel October 5th, 2012 08:41 AM

Great film as always, Geir. I always enjoy your simultaneously soothing and inspiring narration. This film totally captured the essence of the UWOL experience, getting out in nature, looking closely, and sharing our experience of nature without disturbing it.

The introduction from the air was a great way to look down on the world we would soon explore with you. And it was neat to see you and Per together, since most of us have only met, as you said, on the internet.

The only thing I might shorten would be the computer screen, with less time on that and more on the spectacular wildlife.

The moose in the mist was a magical moment- so hard to translate on film, but you did it- I really felt I was there with you watching. And the slow motion running of the otter was beautiful.

The music really felt right for this piece, a bit mysterious, and uplifting.

Thanks for sharing your corner of the world, and your gentle but intense enthusiasm for all creatures.

Toni Dolce October 5th, 2012 09:36 AM

Hi Geir Inge,

First of all, I have to say that I am in love with your speaking voice. You sound wise, gentle, and patient.

This video was well constructed with a lot of thought and I enjoyed how you were able to add a human element to it.

I agree that the shots of the computer screen were a tad long, but I have to say that it was cool to see someone across the ocean doing the same thing I do here in NYC! Scrolling around on the boards....

Thanks for a great video!

Toni

Mike Sims October 5th, 2012 10:21 AM

Hi Geir Inge. I have to admit, this is my favorite story this round and you’ve done another great job producing it. Well said and well done. I hope your transition from student to practitioner has been smooth and that you will continue to have time to make videos for us to watch! Thanks.

Geir Inge October 6th, 2012 09:18 AM

Hi you all and thank you for nice comments on my video.
I will give my comments or your videos but first I have to watch all the videos, today and tomorrow. It will be a great Uwol movie weekend for me.

I will respond to the one of you who asks specific questions etc about my video:

Markus: I hear you about the flight shots and the tip you give, thank you. Pine Marten is the English word for maar.

Trond: The “scary position” is filmed at Runde island (bird cliff island) which I have brought to you at several occasions. This time all the seabirds had flown, nothing left but a little lark of some kind.

Finn-Erik: I hear you about the flight/computer clips. I could have used more clips of animals, but as they have to be captured within the time limit, I didn’t have others to fill in with.

Paul: When it comes to VO, maybe it’s my conscious playing in the back head of mine. Norwegian is my first (main) language and I really don’t feel comfortable speaking English. Maybe I’m afraid of saying something stupid or wrong, haha. The music score level (the flute) was done on purpose. I want it to reflect the strength that the wilderness gives me. The feeling of being completely alone out there when the fact is that you rarely are, is what I’m trying to show. Hope this make sense? But I take your point.

Ruth: I would have put in some more wildlife if I could, but as it have to be filmed (except these 10%) during the time limit for the competition, I didn’t have more to fill in. The moose in the mist was one lucky coincidence, not planned at all. But what a great happening it was for both my wife and me. I was afraid to scare it away, almost didn’t dare to take a breath.

Toni: Read what I’ve said to Paul about my VO, but I thank you for lifting me up on this matter. I’m not sure if I’m wise, but I try to be both gentle and patient – though it sometimes can be hard, haha.
Mike: I’m back in 100% full job, still I hope to get more time for wilderness.

Now it’s back to the uwol weekend cinema, and I’m very exciting about what you great people bring along this time.

Popcorn and feet on the table ;)

Paul Wood October 6th, 2012 02:30 PM

Geir,

I have a great deal of respect for people for whom English is not a first language - I thought the content, and the sound of your voice was excellent - so don't be afraid of that!.

I thought the sound level of the VO was low, and perhaps could have done with a bit more volume.

Sound is one of the most difficult elements of video editing - i always have trouble trying to get the right balance. Before I moved to Brazil, I would always test the final version (in the upload format) on my TV - there is often a difference from when you edit and the sound is on your PC.

Bill Thesken October 6th, 2012 03:10 PM

Well Geir, after the last scene faded out I just sat there and reflected a bit. Sorry it took so long for me to watch all the films, it was a busy couple of days. Some of the best of times are out in the wild, with or without a camera, listening, watching, observing. If you have to hike, or paddle, or swim a long distance to get to the scene, then all the better because you are outside, in the natural world. The pacing and the music created a reflective tone for me, so thanks for this film, looking forward to UWOL #25!

Andrew Bove October 6th, 2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 1756647)
Scary position you placed the camera at 3:26. Looks like it is right on the edge of a high cliff.

The rest of the video was relaxing, but that is definitely a crazy spot for a camera!! Is there really a cliff there?

Excellent shots of the Moose. Beautiful. Love it.

Geir Inge October 7th, 2012 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul: I think you have right that sound is a very important part of films and I will follow your advice.

Bill: I'm glad you like it.

Andrew: Yes, it is steep down where I stand, 200 meters in fact.
Attach is a photo taken a few years ago from the same spot.
My wife and our youngest daughter is in the picture, you see she keeps a good grip on our daughter.

Dale Guthormsen November 9th, 2012 01:17 PM

Geir,

So close to the edge!!!! In 1978 we were overlooking a cliff and the edge gave way and my dog went down. I could not do that kind of thing ever sense!!!

the film was a pleasure to watch and I very much enjoyed the scripting and voice over. the pace was perfect for me!! I kijed the fact you did not try to jam in tons of real short clips!! it was totally a pleasure. A nice take on the theme!!

Great Job Geir

Oh yea, was that a martin, mink or fisher? I do not know these animals well!