DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Next Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/514228-next-challenge.html)

Dale Guthormsen February 10th, 2013 07:27 PM

Next Challenge

Was wondering when the next challenge is going to be anounced.

dale

Trond Saetre February 11th, 2013 08:17 AM

Re: Next Challenge

Hi Dale,

According to the UWOL Challenge rules, the next challenge is supposed to begin March 1.
So I believe the signup will be open during last week of February.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 814777)
1. Timings – The UWOL Challenge will run 4 times per year: March, June, September, plus the annual DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge every December. With the exception of the varying dates and rules of the charity challenge, each one will begin on the 1st of the month. A sign-up thread will be posted on DV Info Net in the UWOL forum one week before the challenge begins.

3. Contest Topic – On the first of the month, a theme will be posted into a new thread on the UWOL forum at DV Info Net.

Good to see I'm not the only one ready for the next round. :)

Chris Hurd February 11th, 2013 08:27 AM

I don't know that it'll be exactly on March 1st, but we'll certainly shoot for that date!

Trond Saetre February 11th, 2013 08:36 AM

Thanks, Chris!

Marj Atkins February 12th, 2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1778478)
I don't know that it'll be exactly on March 1st, but we'll certainly shoot for that date!

That would be perfect! - Start on a Friday and upload on a Sunday! :) A full month with five weekends!

Trond Saetre February 13th, 2013 08:58 AM

I agree with Marj.
The number of finished entries are pretty low already, compared to how many sign-ups we have.
To have a full month and 4-5 weekends, would probably let more participants find time to complete their films.

Mike Sims February 13th, 2013 09:52 AM

Good point. We should all really make an effort to leverage the milestone of UC25 into a better turnout.

Trond Saetre February 13th, 2013 11:55 AM

I agree, Mike.
It's about time to come up with ideas how we can have more participants finish their entries, like we used to have some years ago.
More weekends available is probably one way to do it.
I really like Marj's idea, especially since we now only have 4 challenges a year, compared to 6/year earlier.

Marj Atkins February 13th, 2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 1778856)
To have a full month and 4-5 weekends, would probably let more participants find time to complete their films.

It's not often that the first day lands on a Friday and the last day on a Sunday and it's not often that there are five weekends but March has - this year. June and September are fortunately also quite close to this. Nice for working folk. The Easter weekend falls at the end of March this year so everyone has Monday off too - okay I know that is pushing our luck!

Geir Inge February 14th, 2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marj Atkins (Post 1778996)
It's not often that the first day lands on a Friday and the last day on a Sunday and it's not often that there are five weekends but March has - this year. June and September are fortunately also quite close to this. Nice for working folk. The Easter weekend falls at the end of March this year so everyone has Monday off too - okay I know that is pushing our luck!

I hear you on this one, Marj.
Let's push our luck, and hope for many participants.
Have got a new toy that I want to try in this round.
A DJI Phantom with GoPro Hero 3
After an indoor test, where I broke a vase and scared the tail of the cat,
I was chased out the door. My wife says that indoor flying is not wise to do.
And I have to agree on that one.
Hope everyone is doing fine- out there.

Markus Nord February 14th, 2013 03:09 AM

Sweet stuff GI!

a new toy.... My new toy is on its way too. A new housing for my 5DIII and during March I’ll go up to the mountains for a cave expedition… This will be the first time the expedition date will match UWOL challenge…

Geir Inge February 14th, 2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Nord (Post 1779012)
Sweet stuff GI!

a new toy.... My new toy is on its way too. A new housing for my 5DIII and during March I’ll go up to the mountains for a cave expedition… This will be the first time the expedition date will match UWOL challenge…

Toys are fun Markus :)
Congrats on yours.
Here's my first outdoor flight in the backyard of my house.

Mike Sims February 14th, 2013 11:17 AM

You are very brave to leave the camera running on your first flights! Lucky to have some soft snow for crashes- around here you’d be landing on dirt baked rock-hard by the sun. Good-luck, keep practicing. We’re all looking forward to some great shots now!

Geir Inge February 14th, 2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1779052)
. . . We’re all looking forward to some great shots now!

Haha, silly me - now I might have set a precedent too high?
Well, I'm now deep in practice mode ;)

The Phantom can be controlled by means of satellites.
It also has an auto function for landing and come back "home", with the help of satellites.
A very handsome and smart feature for beginners.

Marj Atkins February 14th, 2013 11:54 PM

Toys for boys!! :) Look forward to seeing your results Geir. A word of warning (not that I think you will do this) - keep this away from buildings and people!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...ter-crash.html

Edit - Seems like the video in question has been removed. It showed some guys flying a quadcopter in a city centre. It crashed into a building and came tumbling down (on fire) into the busy street.