UWOL 25 - Top of the world, by Trond Saetre - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 25 - Top of the world, by Trond Saetre

Dale,
Thank you. Means a lot you like the film.
Yes, I wish I had brought the tripod with me. Would of course have improved the quality a lot.

I miss the good old days when we had 6 challenges a year. It's a long time to wait 3 months, not to mention half a year if you miss one. We should have some fun-shoots in between once in a while. :)

Used the built in ND filter of the XF300, and only the last two clips are slightly color corrected in post.
I did use an "outdoor preset" which is pretty much based on a preset setting you gave me a while ago when I bought the camera. But it is very close to the default setting of the camera.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post
Dale,

I miss the good old days when we had 6 challenges a year. It's a long time to wait 3 months, not to mention half a year if you miss one. We should have some fun-shoots in between once in a while. :)
Well......funny you should mention that. I had been thinking recently about an idea.

Given that the current UWOL group often consists of people from USA, Canada, Brazil, Scandinavia, UK, Uganda, South Africa, New Zealand (Australia?) - that means that we have got 4 to 5 continents, from the Extreme North down to the Equator, and then on to Australasia.

How about we arrange a collaborative UWOL project, whereby we produce a single film that comprises footage shot from the various countries? Essentially we would need to work out a collaborative theme, where the different countries are connected by a common thread?

I had tried to do this once for a UWOL project (last winter I think) where I had been in Finland for 3 weeks of the UWOL project, and then would be in Uganda for the last week of it. I was going to try and make a movie about fishing - one in Finland (fishing in the ice-holes) and then 1 in Uganda fishing on Lake Victoria. The movie would have tried to show the connection between the 2 different extreme activities (one in ice, and one in the burning equatorial sun) - in both cases it was the fisherman's love for fishing that was common.

Obviously, I did not make that film (I still hope to!) - but perhaps we could brainstorm a similar idea for a collaborative UWOL project?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Simon,
Awesome! That would have been a very interesting and fun project to do.
I'm definitely with you.

We shoud post this in a separate thread, so it won't get lost.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #19
Major Player

Very pretty Trond! Lovely area you live in.

I know you had a short clock and couldn't do what you wanted to do, but you still finished something very beautiful.
Technically very nice also. Exposure of the snow was right on and your handheld shots were better than my monopod shots...

Thanks!
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Major Player

Trond,

That looked like a fantastic ski trip. It must be nice to have such scenery in your backyard. Nicely done.
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Bob,
Thank you for the feedback.
Never tried a monopod, but thought about maybe getting one for my hiking and ski trips. (Less weight than tripod). I have a lot of experience with handheld filming. Works well until you want the close up shots, or the steady smooth pans. :)

Oliver,
Thank you. I spend much time in this area all year round.
It's amazing.
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #22
Major Player

Hey Trond - glad you were able to enter something this round despite all your difficulties!

It seems like most people have picked up on similar things to me so I can’t find anything new to add. I agree with what has been said about your film. I hope next time you will have more success time wise.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Marj, thank you for the comments.
Yes, let's hope the next round will be a very good one. :)
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #24
Wrangler

Thanks for not giving up on this round, Trond! You gave us an enjoyable view of the area--it's always a pleasure for me to look over horizons in a land I will probably never see in person. And isn't that a big part of what the UWOL Challenge is about? :)
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:21 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Lorinda, thank you. I totally agree with you. It is so fantastic to learn so much about everywhere in the world, and even about places you never knew existed... Not to forget meet the great group the uwol family has become!
Some years ago we discussed the possibility of an UWOL get together "somewhere in the world". Unfortunately it did not happen. But who knows what the future might bring. Would have been absolutely fantastic if it someday becomes reality.

To give up is not a valid option, unless everything is tried at least once.
"I am uwol"! :) Can't wait for the next round.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge