DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 25 - The Expedition - by Finn-Erik Faale (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/515539-uwol-25-expedition-finn-erik-faale.html)

Finn-Erik Faale April 3rd, 2013 07:31 AM

UWOL 25 - The Expedition - by Finn-Erik Faale

The history can show up with great explorers who hunted every undiscovered spot on Earth.
Many have sacrificed their lives looking for new land beyond the horizon.
Norway had their heroes in the Polar Regions.
Today, there are no more undiscovered areas to catch, but the dream of honour and fame is still there.
Just the imagination sets the limits to get a picture in the local newspaper or an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.
Tone has prepared an expedition to our district’s highest mountain Fjerdingen.
Well, it is only 361m above the sea level, but it is still the highest mountain in Porsgrunn.

The technical quality of the shots from the top is not impressing with a reflecting spot at the lens,
but it has never been a discussion to climb the icy top once again to hunt for perfection.

I hope you enjoy the more or less serious expedition as well.

Chris Barcellos April 3rd, 2013 02:13 PM

Re: UWOL 25 - The Expedition - by Finn-Erik Faale

That was fun, Finn. Loved the anticipation of being the first on the summit and the let down...

Markus Nord April 4th, 2013 06:11 AM

A job well done Finn-Erik… good fun
I love the ending, I’ve been there myself, believing that you are the first one, and then the drop of “The bomb”.

Trond Saetre April 4th, 2013 08:26 AM

Hei Finn-Erik,

Looks like we kinda have the same type of film and theme.
Nice twist at the end, discovering she was not the first one on the summit.

Well done!

Paul Wood April 4th, 2013 10:15 AM

I enjoyed very much the story!

Thanks!

Mike Sims April 4th, 2013 04:31 PM

Hi Finn-Erik. Not only is this video fun to watch, it is very well crafted. You have great compositions and exposures and wonderful camera angles as well as a strong story. Even though we were presaged by the Amundsen book and the rope “mysteriously” left from the summer, the ending was a pleasant surprise! I guess it was because I had just watched Markus’ video and had caves on my mind that when I finished laughing I recalled something that had happened. My caving club got a call from the owner of a cave. While he was cleaning up after a flood he discovered a new room (it led to an unknown level of the cave). He asked us to come check it out. When we got there we drew lots to see who would be first into the new room. I won. After crawling in through the mud on my belly I stood up and looked around- only to see an empty SPAM can, two empty beer cans and graffiti on the wall! Your video perfectly captured how I felt right then. Good show.

Geir Inge April 5th, 2013 05:05 AM

Hi Finn-Erik.

This was fun to watch.
You have developed your own brand by creating pleasant stories.
One is captivated by watching the stories you create and customize the theme in different ways.
The editing is good as usual, and so is the music and commentary.
A stroke of genius that you create a historical link between our old explorers and Tone.
It's like one will want to give her a hug when she understands that she is not the first one out there :)
Give her my greetings and tell her that she is doing well on film, lucky you.

Thanks for sharing.

Simon Wood April 5th, 2013 05:31 AM

Nice story Finn. I don't have much to add to what has already been said as I agree with it.

Your story is well composed, and its always nice to see a documentary that has a beginning, a middle, and a twisty end. I figured she wasn't the 1st up when I saw how smooth and icy the snow had become under the climbing rope, but that didn't spoil the ending.

The story had a nice circularity to it, ending back with the books, and it was pleasant to watch. Bravo!

Bob Thieda April 6th, 2013 07:10 AM

Very good, Finn-Erik...nice camera work!

The indoor shots were nicely done and the trek up the (well worn) trail was filmed like a movie, which I liked very much.
Add to that a fun story and this really is worth watching more than once.

Thanks!

Finn-Erik Faale April 6th, 2013 02:45 PM

Thanks all of you for surprising nice comments

Chris,
I am glad you liked the simple story.

Markus,
after watching your film I understood that you had found the undiscovered part of our earth.

Trond,
I am agreeing. We had the same approach to the theme this time.

Paul,
I am glad you enjoyed the story.

Mike,
thanks for your extensive comments and vivid story from your own experience.

Geir Inge,
Tone appreciates your comments. I gave her a hug from you.

Simon,
I must admit that the smooth and icy snow was a bit revealing for the investigating eye. I am glad you liked the form.

Bob,
I am glad you liked the film and for the comparison with a movie.

Dale Guthormsen April 6th, 2013 05:09 PM

Good afternoon,

What a nice video!!! the story is well done and it was all very much enjoyed. You guys have some of the finest scenery in the world in the winter!!!!

I live in the prairies and when its real icey I always wear spikes!!! Can't imagine doing the climb you guys did and the young lady had no spikes! I must be getting old for that is begging for a wreck in my mind. some years back filming golden eagles with tripod and camera over shoulder, about 40 pounds, I slipped, went over backwards and destroyed the veiw finder and tripoid head!! I been alittle more careful sense then and spikes rule in my life!!! You pulled it off with a real nice video and no damage so con grats on that!!!!
I think the entire thing was nicely shot!!

thank you for taking the time and sharing.

Oliver Pahlow April 7th, 2013 12:41 PM

Finn,

That was a nice story. I enjoyed watching it. Lovely scenery. It must have been very slippery with all that ice. Thanks.

Marj Atkins April 8th, 2013 02:02 PM

Hi Finn
No matter what the subject matter or story, your films always have a refined, elegant feel to them, with good framing, sharp images and very good sound quality and music. This one had a nice twist at the end.

I enjoyed watching your film.

Finn-Erik Faale April 9th, 2013 01:48 PM

Dale,
we had luck. None of us used spikes. However, we were aware of the risk and our ski sticks were of good help.
"The young lady": Tone is so proud by these words.

Oliver,
it was slippery, and the worst part was to get down from the top.
We were happy when we came down without broken legs and damaged equipments.

Marj,
Thanks a lot. I am glad you enjoyed watching the film.

Bill Thesken April 12th, 2013 09:53 PM

Fun to watch, it put a smile on my. Sorry it took so long for me to watch it and comment. It's one of my favorites, and do I recall a short film a few rounds ago where the instruments in the music shop come to life, as it reminded me of the beginning of this where the climbing gear suddenly appears.