UWOL 27: How Do You Fly, Mr. Spoonbill. Steve Siegel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 27: How Do You Fly, Mr. Spoonbill. Steve Siegel

My entry this time is about slow motion photography, and how obtaining rapidly sequential images has changed over 120 years. But there is a question. Did I violate the rules? The UWOL rules state that no stock footage can be used in the contest. Does stock footage include very old, public domain still photos and drawings? I hope not.

The approach to the theme TIMING was to compare Eadweard Muybridge's pioneering photographic studies of moving subjects to what today's equipment is capable of. It's timing in the sense of slow motion as well as across the centuries. A documentary-like video using still photographs seemed like the best (and affordable) way to do it. I don't know if it is permitted. All the video, including the horserace, and the stills of the ducks and the egret were shot by me for UWOL.

I hope not to get disqualified, but if I do, it's a lesson learned. One rule that wasn't violated was #11, because this was a lot of fun to put together. The voice of the old narrator is me using VoxMorph voice-altering software. He sounds a whole lot better if you use headphones.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/75904712" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/75904712">UWOL Challenge 27, Steve Siegel: "How Do You Fly, Mr. Spoonbill?"</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user8310268">UWOL Challenge</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; October 3rd, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 27: How Do You Fly, Mr. Spoonbill. Steve Siegel

How do you get the video to embed?
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Major Player

I tried it too, the code looks right, but something isn't happening.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

That's odd; it should have embedded for you.

Okay, I tried it again and it worked. Once you make it public it should be okay.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Steve,

Very cool to see the slow motion of birds flying.
And I like the effect of using old photographs. Worked well in my opinion.
Nice to see you try something different than the "standard normal" filming.

------
As a side note:
I was also unable to embed anything from vimeo in my thread. The code showed up, but not the film.
Weird.
------
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Trustee

Really interesting stuff Steve,
It was only recently that I read about the first motion pictures & the galloping horse etc. Fascinating stuff. I am off to the mountains again for a night or two so will have another look at your video when I am back & comment further then.
Thanks,
Bryce
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Great work Steve. The flow of the narrative was excellent as were the accompanying images. I liked the slow move to colour with the swallow.
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi Steve,
Well I have managed to watch your film again & this time with headphones! Certainly made a difference to the audio quality, but I still felt the filter needs some work. I like the way it panned from side to side & faded in and out a little, mimicking old time audio, it's just that it sounded a little off to me. Maybe it is my system, but I will try to watch it on another computer to make sure it's not this one.
I have to say, your footage of the birds in slow motion is awesome! You really have the combination of frame rate to shutter speed dialled in perfectly! So that was all filmed at 720 60p? If so, it was beautifully sharp!
I also loved the story you told of the evolution of slow motion filming & where we're headed in the not too distant future!
Regards,
Bryce
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Steve,

I thought it was a clever use of the theme, and was, as always, a pleasure to watch.

I didn't find the audio VO off-putting, although, as Bryce said, maybe a different filter would have given a better result - but that`s nit picking!

I like a good historical yarn, and your last films have provided that - I also liked the use of old footage/stills to tell the story from the narrator's point of view.

Thanks!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Paul,
Your comments reminded me to go back again & look at Steve's film. Watching it on a different system I think it sounds better than what it did when I watched it the first couple of times. I have to say though, I am not convinced that filter has done justice to the lovely voice you have for narration. Your voice is truly mesmerizing, & a joy to listen to. The dialogue is brilliant & very informative and captivating. Your use of all the historical footage was brilliant & really helped tell your story.
Thanks for sharing,
Bryce
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Steve that was interesting. As mentioned the slow motoin was really nice. I don't really have a problem with the VO and it's not something I've ever tried. Anyway good job.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #12
Major Player

Steve
Your film is wonderful. It has an original and creative take on the theme and I found your story really fascinating. Your images of birds flying are quite stunning and in my opinion technically amazing – probably one of the hardest things to achieve in bird videography. I would really love to know what scope and camera you used for this.

I found the beginning of your story very difficult to follow with flickering pictures and muffled sound. I had to play your video about five times before I could understand what you were saying as the old man. I tried with earphones on different computers and nothing improved. Once I got the story I thought it was fantastic.

Last edited by Marj Atkins; October 7th, 2013 at 04:22 AM.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Steve, I like your film and it doesn't bother me that you're using stills.
You have a great history and I seccond Marj, I think it's an original take on the theme, nice work.
Audio is OK by me and suited the film.
Great to see those birds in slow motion.
All the best.
Geir Inge
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Marj,

Sorry about the audio. The consumer-quality voice modifier I use can't do any better. I would love to find a better product, but haven't seen one. These are mostly intended to be used in games, or to fool your friends on the phone (or a wayward spouse!, or if you are the wayward spouse!!). Quality is not one of their concerns. It is cheaper, however, than hiring a voice-over guy.

I am just using my Sony PMW EX3 with a Nikon 70-400 zoom mounted with a Mike Tapas adapter ring. The tripod head is a very old Manfrotto 516. Of course, since the shot is slowed down, you don't need very much good following to get useable footage. It is very hard. I wish I could afford a Miller or Vinten head, and had the back muscles to carry one.
Old October 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for your reply Steve. I thought you had used a scope to follow those birds, but yes, I suppose you only need to follow a short time to get enough footage. Really well done.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge