UWOL#29 - "Light, the force of spring" by Geir Inge B. Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 1st, 2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL#29 - "Light, the force of spring" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Norway, together with Iceland, Canada, the United States (Alaska), Russia, Finland and Sweden, is part of the Arctic.
My contribution to uwol # 29 is about the importance of light in the Arctic region.
Furthermore, it is about the life-affirming light and the seasons, spring, summer, autumn and winter. From winter's darkness to summer's midnight sun.
The spring is in the air, and life turns slowly back from winter's dark embrace.
I visit three different locations, the mountains, the forest and the shore.

Have had problems with my camera this round, and has filmed a bit with my Canon EOS 600D, which are not as well suited for video.
My main camera, Canon XLH1 have problem with focus / shivering and it is now sent to repair.
I have used my GoPro Hero3 with my DJI Phantom Quadrocopter.
To simulate the dark period (winter) I have used effects during the editing process.

I am happy to get your feedback, both positive and negative.
Oh yes, I nearly forget the music ...
It is Viking music from Norway, played on an old ram's horn.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL#29 - "Light, the force of spring" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Hi Gier,

Interesting that we have chosen to go along similar on interpreting the the theme. You certainly have it a lot harder up there compared to us here on the south coast of the UK your spring it definitely along way behind ours. Certainly enjoyed watching, your voice over really set the scene. Thanks for posting

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Geir Inge another nice story. Other than a couple shots that looked a little soft to me it looked pretty good. I like the aerials and not sure how hard it is to fly in your area but I suspect you have challenges with the wind. I liked the music.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Geir

I love the way you take us along with you on your trips to find what you are looking for. I get a real sense of being right there at your side.

Oh boy - that Dipper – one of the most fascinating birds around! (It’s on my list along with the Puffins! :)

As usual we are treated to all the beautiful scenes of your Norwegian landscape. You seem to be getting the hang of the quadcopter – that aerial view along the shoreline is pretty smooth and free of artifacts.

As I mentioned to Mick it is quite intriguing that you both had the same idea for this theme – light triggering seasonal changes. Your concluding shot is as stunning as his opening shot!!

A most enjoyable entry, thanks Geir.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi, Geir Inge. I always enjoy your videos. A couple of the shots at the beginning were very dark on my monitor. Perhaps they were so to contrast with the later light? You did a good job integrating the aerial footage into the story. I was surprised and pleased to learn that the DJIP can fly so well in conditions that windy. I’m still considering one myself and rely on you pioneers. I like the way you used the shots of yourself walking to tie the locations together. Well done. I always like a video with pretty bird shots.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Major Player

I really enjoyed the flow of the video, and the voice over tied it all together nicely. Such variety between locations - you certainly travel lots to bring us these glimpses of remote places.
I was wondering about a couple of the shots shimmering/wobbling, first thought it was heat haze (oh wait it's still cold) and then maybe they were warp stabilized. Was that the lens playing up?

The DSLR (600d) is a different way of working and it's not true 1920 wide off the sensor so the image suffers a little (debayered and then interpolated: 1752 up to 1920 or there abouts) - good video capture for the price, but I'm loving the ease of the FS100 having dedicated video over the 600d.

I'm conflicted with the aerial footage - it adds good variety, but the GoPro usually doesn't match up to the other camera quality. But to fly a larger camera, even the 600d you need a BIG 6 or 8 blade copter - in other words $$$.
As usual a great adventure. Hopefully the camera issues can be fixed for next time.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hei Geir Inge,

I like joining your field trips through your camera lenses. You always seem to find the wildlife, and that's a challenge itself.

The aerial shots complement the "ground shots" well in my opinion.
It appears you have the GoPro on "wide" setting, which gives a really fisheye view.
I have had best results with the "medium" setting. But this also gives some fisheye effect sometimes.

The "night shots" were "shot day for night" and made dark in post? Worked pretty well.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Geir Inge,

I liked the theme - having spent some time in Sweden, I can fully understand the importance of the coming of spring, and the lighter, warmer days in Norway.

The ¨I want you to join me¨and the subsequent shots sold it for me - gave a real feeling of being with you on the trek.
The rest was up to your usual high standards, even with the standby camera, although others have commented on the technical issues.
Thanks!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Nice but isn't the Coal Tit on the pine tree a Willow Tit?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Major Player

I believe he shows both actually. The first clip is a Coal Tit as evidenced by the white on the nape and more extensive black throat. The second clip is a singing Willow Tit. Both nice birds for me.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Ronald and Mike.
Now I was a little embarrassed :) you are right of course, both of you.
The first (eating from a pine cone) is a Coal Tit.
The other one is sitting in the top of the tree, a Willow Tit.
I have the name "coal tit" on the wrong bird.
Sorry about that and thank you for noticing.
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Well, the jury's still out on my top picks, but so far the best VO quote of all, in my opinion, is "come to papa you wonderful, tasty caddis larvae."

Up until that point your language is quite poetic and serious, and with your accent, it took me a second to catch up to what you were actually saying. So I was sitting and watching very seriously through that point. So funny!
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #13
Trustee

Thank you all for nice feedback.
And the answer to you Andrew is yes :) my XLH1 camera is now for repair.
Some of you have mentioned the opening shots, too dark. I see that I have to practise some more, using the night effect ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge