UWOL 29 Visual Perception at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 29 Visual Perception

Well I knew I wouldn't have much time this month and it turned out I had less than I thought. |I tried some night time timelapse and have a lot to learn. There wasn't to many nights in March that I could see the stars but I plan to keep on trying it to see if I can figure it out.
But the biggest problem was I just couldn't get my head into this one so I slapped what I had together, which is only a bunch of clips and I hope it doesn't bore you to much.
Thanks for watching.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 29 Visual Perception

Hi Gordon,

Interesting landscapes you have there, looks bleak but yet inviting! like the light conditions you have there. Enjoyed watching , its good you took the time put the clips together and submit an entry.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mick. March can be a pretty bland, but if I would have shot some stuff in the mountains it would be a lot different. This is a very scenic area, you just have to be able to tolerate a little wind. This time of year I just don't have much spare time so I shot everything from home. When I sign up I hate it when I don't submit something, good or bad.

Gordon
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Gordon

A collection of lovely landscape shots - enjoyed watching this. Not always easy to find time to do these challenges but really glad you pushed through and submitted something.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Gordon, both you and Dale always have a tough row to hoe for the March contests. Congratulations on soldiering through! Don’t worry, Spring is headed your way just as fast as it can. Those geese were down here a month ago. I really like that pan with the mountains. Those pastel colors are really pretty. Be sure to give the star timelapse another go this summer. The Milky Way will be in a really good position for you then and we’d all like to see it.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Gordon I thought the day timelapses worked quite well, and could have watched a lot more (great landscapes there), but they are time consuming to do. And it's difficult to get the settings right for night. I've looked at the guides for Magic Lantern on bulb ramping and the other features but haven't taken the plunge to try it out. I'm sure with time and practice not only will you figure it out, the results will stand out. I guess try some very short runs just to find the right exposures and see what amount of star trails you're happy with, a wide lens might help there - but aperture is also important. Good luck with all the technical stuff.
Definitely a nice feeling to finish - I've been in that tank far too often.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Gordon,

You and me both. I hate it when I haven't been able to submit for some of the previous UWOL challenges. It's a bad feeling.

I agree with the other comments you have received.
Nice scenery, it looks very much like what we have over here. I felt almost at home watching your film.

The timelapse of the clouds moving over the night sky was nice. Follow up that idea like Mike said.

Thank you for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Marj
Thanks. It's not hard to find something to shoot here. I just don't seem to get as much done in a day anymore.

Gordon
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Mike
March is normally an unsettled month, this one was a little colder than usual and I think Dale had it harder than I did. But yes the weather forecast looks better so far.
I hope to get the hang of doing night timelapses so I'll be playing around at it this year.
Thanks for watching.

Gordon
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Andrew
Thanks. I got my hands on an older prime lens that I've been playing around with for trying timelapse at night. I need a wider one but it will have to do for now. It is a good idea to start small as it takes longer than one figures to get it all rendered out to see how it turned out.

Gordon
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Trond
Yes I think we have similiar scenery and that's what I've noticed in your videos also. I do plan on trying more nightime shots. Hopefully when the weather is nicer.
Thanks.

Gordon
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Gordon,

I enjoyed the timelapses - as you say - they are not the easiest thing to pull off, but the scenery is spectacular!
I enjoyed the mountain views, and could easily have watched more - well done for submitting, as with everyone else, I hate missing out, but sometimes life gets in the way!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi Paul
Yes scenery is something we have here!
More times than enough but you have to do what you have to do.
Thanks for watching.

Gordon
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Very nice turbine shots, Gordon. I am working on another short project that is all about those weird-looking things.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Finn
It all depends on the direction you're looking.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge