Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 1st, 2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 30

Ladies and gentlemen, same procedure as always:

What goes perfect, what went wrong and anything in between.
Share the stories, and as you go along, pay special attention to the most important Rule 11:
Have fun!!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 30

Not sure how you are finding this theme, but trying to decide how to approach this is proving to be a challenge all on its own. This theme has so many interesting possibilities.

I have narrowed it down to one or two ideas but still have to make up my mind if I am going to tackle a general conflict/challenge between man and wildlife/environment or pick an actual example – plenty in my back yard – like the harvester ants that appear to be building an empire below my paving with perfect little piles of soil dotted all over the place as monuments to their unrelenting dedication! I don’t want their perfect little monuments of soil all over my paving but they have other ideas - obviously their mission is to take over the world.

I guess it all comes down to what will make the most interesting story – with the least amount of work, that is.

Hope you are all making headway – seems pretty quiet around here.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Very interesting challenge this one! Although I may not go with it, I am at this time thinking along the lines of showing the challenges I face as part of the film. So my request is could that segment run at various intervals though out the film instead of at the start or finish as long as as each piece adds up to to your time requirement?

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The initial thoughts were to have the BTS part as one sequence. Having the "around the world project" in mind.

But if it is better for your film and at the same time (if you choose to participate in the ATW project) it is possible later to cut those pieces together for "the "big picture", then I see no issues with doing it your described way to enhance your film and story.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Trond, not certain which way I going about it at the moment but, I keep coming back to plan A that I described to you. Watch this space as they say!
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It's quiet in here. Hope that is a good sign of you ladies and gentlemen being out and about, making some amazing films.

Haven't shot a second yet. But I have a rough plan in my mind.
Old June 7th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Right ,packing and nearly ready for action! Lets see what I can come up with! Ops sorry about the size of the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 30-getting-ready.jpg  
Old June 7th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Go for it! :)
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Major Player

Life seemed less complicated years ago. Grab the camera, a flimsy tripod, extra tape and a battery and off I'd go. Mind you the batteries where as big as the camera bodies I use now.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

last round i was hurting for ideas and time... then got thrown out to the sharks with a broken pc.... now I have a working pc and plenty of ideas... oh but where is the time! :)
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Ralph, a working pc and lots of ideas should be a great starting point.
Hope you succeed this time.
Old June 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Gereg View Post
last round i was hurting for ideas and time... then got thrown out to the sharks with a broken pc.... now I have a working pc and plenty of ideas... oh but where is the time! :)
Welcome to the joys of the UWOL Challenge Ralph - that’s the challenge of the UWOL challenge – having to work within a short space of time!

I have been preparing my story and music during the evenings because I will have exactly one day in which to put my final video together after I have filmed – just the way things have worked out.

During this past week I have spent hours listening to music trying to get the right feel for this. While it is not exactly what I was looking for I have settled on a piece that works okay. Today I finished my draft script so I finally have a shot list.

All I can hope for now is that our wildlife friends appear on stage when and where they are needed!

Hope things are going well with all of you.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Seems like you are making good progress, Marj.
It's a bit quiet in here. Hopefully that means you are all out and about, making great films.

Now when the airshow I have spent countless hours coordinating is completed, it is finally time to start thinking about uwol again.
Plenty time until deadline, just need to come up with an idea...
Old June 16th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Planned to shoot the entire project during the last weekend as we had monday off in Norway.

Packed the car completely full on saturday, with 2 camerarigs both for filming over and under water, divinggear, wife, baby, babygear, quadcopter, cat, babytrolley++. Never had this kind of logistics for a a weekendtrip before.

First thing happened on the first pit stop on our way to Fredrikstad, where we dropped of our cat that stays with my mom during the weekend.
Car backed into my car, smashing the front of it, so we got stuck filling out papers for an hour. Got in the car again, drove the rest of the way. Rigged everything out of the car.

Sunday morning, rigged diving-gear, underwater-cameragear into the car again. Drove down to the Pier in Fredrikstad, going out with an old fishingboat with Fredrikstad diving-club to shoot the underwater shots for the project on Sister-islands in the Oslofjord. Had a nice 82 minutes dive with my divebuddy, and he is the main person in the project. Bad visibility for the shallow bit of the dive (under 1 meters visibility) but it was really good down at 35-40 meters depth. (about 12 meters visibility)
Huge thermocline from 12-20 meters and alot of freshwater from the 50 years flooding in the local rivers made it difficult to get any good underwatershots, but we got some!

Headed home to the cabin to change from divinggear to the other cameragear. Planned shooting the interview on surface near water with a larger camera for better quality, but when we finally got rigged on the new location, the rain started pooring down so we cancelled the interview and ran back to our cars.
Monday was perfect filmingweather, but the interview couldnt be done this day , so i planned doing some other cool shots. I rigged up my homebuilt quadcopter with a gopro+gimbal to do some surface-shots of the ocean, but never got it flying, as an engine failed during takeoff.

Packed everything down, headed home without the main interview in place. Hoping to do the interview this week or the next.

Currently doing a rough cut of the underwatershots in Adobe Premiere, and hoping to get the interview done as soon as possible to have some time to do a edit on the project in time for the deadline. Prepared some home-made film-music for the project as well.

Really crossing my fingers for getting the interview in place soon, as its the main story for the project. Without it, everthing falls down in the shark tank...
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Did another dive in Fagerstrand down to 35 meter on Wednesday and down to 32m yesterday in Drøbak to supplement some more underwater shots of life in the fjord. Got a few nice shots of some "muddersjøbunnroser" but there really isnt that much life in Norway, compared to nearer the equator. Hoping to get the main interview done after work today!
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 30-2014-06-18-18.28.19.jpg   Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL 30-2014-06-19-20.25.25.jpg  

Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge