DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #31 "Colour, nature's sign language" by Marj Atkins (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/525179-uwol-31-colour-natures-sign-language-marj-atkins.html)

Marj Atkins October 1st, 2014 07:22 AM

UWOL #31 "Colour, nature's sign language" by Marj Atkins

Mine is a simple story. After quite a battle I settled on one aspect of quite a vast subject and worked my way through that.

I must add that given a different time and place many of the subjects featured as illustrations for my story would have been very different and probably more interesting as we are still really in early spring. That’s the challenge of this challenge – having to work with what you can find!

Boy, I’m sure you will agree, trying to film wildlife sometimes requires the utmost of patience – and, by implication, time!

No use of AE at all for this entry. (The titles were done in Premier Pro using video transitions.)

Steve Siegel October 1st, 2014 02:23 PM

Re: UWOL #31 "Colour, nature's sign language" by Marj Atkins

You did it again, Marj. I could watch your videos forever.

Mick Jenner October 2nd, 2014 02:58 AM

Another brilliant entry Marj, just love the way you manage to make your entries so educational.

Being some what pernickety maybe a bit less content, a slower narration delivery and longer clips would give the viewer more time to connect between the narration and what is being shown on screen.

Well done

Mick

Kevin Railsback October 2nd, 2014 09:16 AM

Marj,

You are like a filmmaking machine!

You create top notch work time after time again.

I look forward to your films because I know I'm always going to learn something from you!

The only point I really have on this film is that it looked like the pallate was pretty neutral.
I always love crushing the blacks and pumping the chroma way up.

Since color was part of the theme I wondered if it would change the feel if you cranked up the saturation more?

I'm surprised you didn't do voiceovers for people. Your voice and enunciation is impeccable!

Marj Atkins October 2nd, 2014 10:48 AM

Thank you Steve, Mick and Kevin – really appreciate your comments and input.

Kevin – I think you and I will always differ on degree of saturation, but I hear you! :)

Kevin Railsback October 2nd, 2014 10:52 AM

Marj,

You know me, I'm a Kodachrome Kid so I love super saturated colors. My buddy's a Nat Geo photographer and he shoots a neutral palette. You should see when we go out shooting together! :)

Bill Thesken October 3rd, 2014 12:54 AM

Marj, holy cow what a great film. I just watched it and will watch again.

4 things jumped right out at me:

00:41 - did you cut off the word 'us'?
02:25 - listening with headphones, all of a sudden I think a bee is buzzing around my head and I look around in fear, seriously.
02:39 - *!#%& What the hell is that thing! Oh..., it's just a grasshopper from hell.
03:17 - 'Edification' - a word I need to look up... I think I know the meaning but I better be sure.....

Good work pushing the envelope.

Paul Wood October 3rd, 2014 04:01 AM

Marj,

Once again, a superb film!
I really like the fact that you choose some great locations, and make the best of them, then tie it all together with a great commentary and story.
One of my favourites!

Trond Saetre October 3rd, 2014 06:50 AM

Marj, you never stop impressing me!
This is top notch and beyond! Thank you for teaching me something new, again.

Gordon Hoffman October 3rd, 2014 07:24 AM

Yes another interesting and educational piece. Always come away with something from your videos. Well done.

Gordon

Marj Atkins October 3rd, 2014 08:39 AM

Bill,Trond Paul and Gordon - Thank you for the encouraging feedback.

Bill - Yip - looks like I cut off the word "us" - never even noticed! :)

Geir Inge October 5th, 2014 03:52 AM

Hey Marj.
You provide a great video and I especially liked the opening sequence,
where you have divided into multiple windows while you have the title and other information text.
There is not much to fault in your video, where information and images are in chronological order.
You're good! This reminds me strongly of a school video that is meant for teaching.
If I should criticize something, it must be the amount of information measured against the length of the video.
Maybe we have different opinions on what or how to do this, but I must assert my opinion and my opinion is well intended.
We have only 4 min available in our uwol videos and then some topics come up short, at least thats what I think :)
Colour is a huge topic and we can not get all of it in just 4 min. There must be a certain balance that each individual must find out, I guess.
Sometimes it can be inverted, ie too little information and too long videos.
My advice is that if you go ahead with this video is that you extend the length so that the viewer is able to consume all the information.
Maybe you can even add some more information about the species you show?
I am sure you would be able to sell this product to a school, and you can increase the length to 20 minutes (just as a suggestion).
Great delivered Marj and thanks for sharing.

Marj Atkins October 6th, 2014 12:13 PM

Thank you Geir for your input – I value the points you have noted down.

No one could be more acutely aware of the information overload in my videos than I.
I want to make videos that have substance and that enlighten the viewer - not boring stuff. However if clips are moving way too fast and that gets in the way of the intended goal then it is essential that I find a better solution to get the balance right – hopefully with the help of folk like you I will get there eventually.