Tales of Wonders and woes - UWOL 32 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 19th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Tales of Wonders and woes - UWOL 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav View Post
Being the first time i may be asking too many questions. here is something i want to know about the normal practice.
Vishal, you can never ask too many questions! That is the good thing about dvinfo.net. No matter how many questions you have, there is always at least one answer.
As Marj said, it is very hard (impossible?) to say in advance how much time you will spend on each part.
The December 2013 challenge I did in one day, filming and editing. I suddenly got an idea, and went for it.
Other times I can spend weeks before I finally come up with a good idea. (Like this challenge. Still haven't got that idea I want to pursuit).

I also use Premiere Pro for editing, and I use the source monitor just as Marj describes. Works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hood View Post
...I got up early last week to try and follow up my other UWOL entry from half a year ago, and get a lyrebird on film. Only saw one for a couple of seconds as it darted across the trail 10m in front of me. The trip wasn't totally unproductive though - saw more wildlife than most times I've visited, some even staying visible to the camera long enough to record them.
Nice video you got there, Andrew. Really cool to follow up a previous uwol video, especially when you finally was able to film that bird you were looking for.
Just a question: The green color seem to be kind of washed out in some of the clips. Was that intentional, or maybe it is youtube causing it?
Thanks for sharing!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Marj , Trond
Settles my nerves a bit that i am not going way off.

I will edit in Premiere Pro and that was a useful tip of how to go along with it.

Marj, wildlife has taught me patience by now , guess after studying one bird species for 4 years thats one thing that comes along your way. The working distance with wildlife is something that come with time and some of my wildlife i am able to work at a very close distance , the species of bird i follow is most observed in the evergreen forests in monsoons hence i have spent days just trekking and not being able to get a glimpse in the rainy conditions. but thats fun of being with wildlife it teaches us a lots of skills , patience is one of them .
I shot and edited one video which is on , my first edit

I have a idea about what i want to shoot in this challenge just that as i go along i find some of the things missing or changed due to the seasonal change and the typhoons that are taking place over the oceans giving some unusual climatic conditions over the sub continent .
Guess these teach us one more skill thats adaptability and thats what i am trying to do as of now.

I am yet to think about music as i just can't imagine it till the time i have all the shots that i need to put into my edit.
Still trying to learn about video editing and learning some of the tricks there.
in 5 days from now if the condition is still the same as now i may be very nervous , but thats the thing about such challenges they make us think of solutions to problems we possess.

cheers
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 02:44 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav View Post
in 5 days from now if the condition is still the same as now i may be very nervous...
Only 5 days in a row with the same weather conditions, and I would be very happy.
We have had one storm after another and lots of rain every single day for the last weeks. Can't really remember last time we had a sunshine day. (It's about time cameras are made waterproof, I'd say!)
Expecting winds at least 15 m/s and snow the next days. Maybe I've found one or two elements, haha.

Good luck, everyone! Remember to follow rule #11!
Old December 21st, 2014, 03:32 AM   #19
Major Player

Beautiful images Vishal!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #20
Major Player

Wishing you all a safe and peaceful holiday.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonders and woes - UWOL 32-sunbird_-greetings.jpg  
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #21
Major Player

Thank you Marj, and I wish the same greetings for all of you!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Happy holidays, everyone! Hope all is well.
Old December 25th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #23
Major Player

Greetings to all of you, the holiday season is here and sure you would be getting the footage you are aiming for.
Merry Christmas to all

vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Marj and all the best to you and the rest of the UWOL group.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #25
Trustee

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonders and woes - UWOL 32-dove-uwol.jpg  
Old December 25th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #26
Major Player

Not yet well here, but on the mend. I fiercely hope none of you are contending with illness this challenge. When I go back and look at work I did earlier this month I wonder what I might have been thinking then and if it may have been part of the getting sick process. My project has come off of the rails but is not yet a train wreck. I am in the process of shifting my focus from finishing the project to not abandoning it. This Challenge has become much more about the journey than the destination for me. I went back and re-read Kevin’s blog entry “It’s Important To Get Out In The Field Even If You Don’t Feel Like It”. Thanks again, Mr. Railsback. (Who was that masked yeti?) We still have lots of time.

Many call this the season of hope. One of my great hopes has been for a UC round in which everyone that signs up completes a film. We can still do it and give ourselves a unique Christmas present. (Even if it turns out not to be this round.)

Best wishes, friends.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #27
Trustee

Mike,

I'm glad someone actually read that! :)

Hope you're quickly on the mend!!!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Old December 25th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #28
Trustee

Thank you Marj and all the best to all of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonders and woes - UWOL 32-greetings-1.jpg  
Old December 26th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #29
Major Player

A belated to Merry Christmas to you all (2 whole days self imposed computer/ social media free), trust you are all having a great time this festive season. Hope you are on the mend Mike and manage to complete an entry. Not getting on very well with my project this round, but will hopefully will upload something, at least I can then comment and vote. Wishing Uwolers all over the word, peace, happiness and productive (filming or otherwise) 2015.

Mick and Pat X
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #30
Major Player

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, I’m limping along. One thing Mick said gave pause. We need to make sure everyone is up to speed on the changes to Rule 9- “All players who sign up for the challenge automatically become judges in that round”. You no longer need to complete a video to be in on the judging- only sign up. As for comments, I know a lot of folks have felt reluctant to offer comments in the past if they did not have a video completed for that round. No need. While those that complete a video are EXPECTED to offer comments on all videos, all other DVInfo members are ENCOURAGED to do so. Judging by the number of views our threads regularly receive, we have a lot more members that pay attention to what goes on here than ones that regularly participate or comment. It would be great to get to a point where many of them felt comfortable offering their input. It helps all of us.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge