DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#32 - The four elements and the color of winter by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/526306-uwol-32-four-elements-color-winter-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge January 5th, 2015 06:14 AM

UWOL#32 - The four elements and the color of winter by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Hello and a happy New Year to you all.
This will be a nice start of the new year 2015, with new and exciting Uwol videos.
First; I am of the opinion that a movie title should be short and simple, but this rule I broke in this round of Uwol.

In this round I have used three of my Canon cameras; EOS 600D, 5D Mark3 and XLH1. My starting point has been that the four elements of earth, air, fire and water are the building blocks and thus included in all components on and around Earth.
Also that the elements corresponding to the four seasons; summer, autumn, winter and spring.
My main focus has been the winter and my video is not necessarily divided chronologically by the four elements, but is rather a mix of them.
For the first time I have managed to capture a natural phenomenon that I have hunted for a long time, something I am very proud of having managed.
Next time I'll use raw files to this kind of shooting.
The biggest challenge this time, has been the ever-changing weather.

Please, feel free to give me your feedback.

Steve Siegel January 6th, 2015 07:13 PM

Re: UWOL#32 - The four elements and the color of winter by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Geir Inge,

The "natural phenomenon you have hunted a long time". Do you mean the aurora? Your capture of it is beautiful. Living so far south, and never having traveled north in the winter, I have never seen it. Tell me, can you actually see movement in the lights in real time? Or do you need time lapse?

This was a well-though out piece and you got all the elements. The time-lapse scenes were all effective, especially in the tricky lighting of winter.

Geir Inge January 7th, 2015 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Siegel (Post 1872837)
Geir Inge,

The "natural phenomenon you have hunted a long time". Do you mean the aurora? .... Tell me, can you actually see movement in the lights in real time? Or do you need time lapse?

Thank you Steve for nice comments.
Yes, I meant the northern lights / aurora.
To photograph the Northern Lights takes time and one must dress well - it is usually bitterly cold.
When it comes to see the movements of it, it is not the same as when making a time lapse, but yes you can see it especially if it's a heavy aurora.

Trond Saetre January 7th, 2015 07:12 AM

Hei Geir Inge,

I see you visited your friend, Mr Otter again. He magically shows up when needed.

It was a pleasure to watch your entry. Especially the stars and northern light.
Can I ask what camera settings you used for this part?
Whenever I try to film the night sky, it turns out way too dark. Yours is so bright and clear.

Vishal Jadhav January 7th, 2015 07:33 AM

Geir Inge,

I love this entry as i see all the elements covered in it, your footage is brilliant and your VO compliments it superbly.
The most amazing is the timelapses and the northern lights , video is very nicely put together .

Shooting the night sky was always a issue for me and the month of december for the theme i tried and shot the night sky making lot of experiments and finally landing with what i have.

very much enjoyed your entry and have now watched it a few times and gonna watch it more times, those northern lights are amazingly captured

cheers
vishal

Gordon Hoffman January 7th, 2015 08:02 AM

Geir Inge I have to say the northern lights were great. Did you shoot that with your 5DMIII? Living farther south I never get to see them that colourful. Always enjoy your story telling. Thanks for another good video to watch.

Gordon

Geir Inge January 7th, 2015 10:09 AM

Hello and thank you for nice feedback.

Trond:
I use my Canon 5DM3 for the time lapses.
The camera is very good to deal with low light conditions.
When taking night shots, it is the relationship between shutter, aperture and ISO,
which is essential for good pictures. It also helps to have a good lens.
In my video is all time lapse done with an ISO of about 4-8000,
blender at 4 or 5 and shutter speed of 3, 4 or 5 seconds.
In addition, one must find a place where it is dark and have no light of any kind (cars, streetlights or similar).
The otter is filmed with my Canon EOS 600 camera when I was looking at a photo session at the island of Kvamsoy. By the way, it's not the same otter I've filmed before :)
Had no other camera with me, therefore somewhat poor quality of the clip.
This is on the back of the island Kvamsoy, with no road - one takes with minimum weight ;)

Thanks Vishal for your nice comments, which I greatly appreciate.

Thanks Gordon for nice comments. Yes, I use my Canon 5DM3 for the time lapses sequences.

Trond Saetre January 7th, 2015 02:02 PM

Thanks. Maybe I need to use my Canon 40D still camera to do night timelapses instead of the video camera.
I tried wide open aperture with shutter 1/6sec. Even with 21db gain, it was too dark.

Paul Wood January 7th, 2015 03:02 PM

Geir Inge,

Always improving!

I very much enjoyed your Nordic tale of this entry - your film making is definitely getting better - you have a strong story behind the images and commentary with some superb shots - I see you are getting to use the new camera.
I especially liked the ¨paint the sky¨ending shots.

Thank you!

Mick Jenner January 8th, 2015 03:58 AM

Geir,

Great entry, loved watching. The colours in the aurora at the end were beautiful, one of the best if not the best filming of it I have seen. You are certainly getting to grips with time lapse and long exposures. An area of filming I must really get to grips with.

My only comment is that when you explained that the four elements was linked to each season the clips used did not adequately show that link. For example when when you said fire symbolises the fall you had a mountain showing and not fire, small point in an otherwise lovely entry.

Mick

Geir Inge January 8th, 2015 07:16 AM

Trond, just to say. Nowadays you can buy camcorders that handle low light conditions. Here's a link to an article and video, at NRK: Glem elg i solnedgang ? her danser nordlyset med reinen - Troms og Finnmark

Hello Paul and thank you for your feedback, which I greatly appreciate.
My main thought was to just use time lapses for my video, which is very time consuming and weather dependent.
I gradually discovered that to implement the plan, I had to have several scenarios to choose from. I have plans to develop this video during the winter.

Hey Mick and thanks for feedback. I appreciate your point of view.
As you probably see in my response to Paul, I had plans that I failed to implement. Yet, with a little more time and re-editing, I could fix so they elements came in line with the narrator's story. In fact I could omitted some clips and made the video a bit shorter.

Andrew Hood January 10th, 2015 02:46 AM

Hi Geir

Another great 'postcard' from Norway. Liked the timelapses, and especially the northern lights. The ice/snow melting worked a lot better than mine did.

The sounds and music blended well with the visuals. And it was very enjoyable to watch.

Marj Atkins January 10th, 2015 12:26 PM

Hi Geir

Yours is a fascinating entry. There are some really stunning shots in here – the opening shot, the beautiful time-lapse at 2;15 and of course the wonderful shots of the aurora at the end. Beautiful colours. Very well done – you must be pleased with your new camera!

Your story flows well and fits well with the theme.
Seems like you had an extra challenge this round – very little light! but you achieved an excellent quality of the footage nonetheless. Your framing is good; but I would suggest you introduce more camera moves next round – except for the robin and otter, all the shots were static.

As far as the sound goes –I’m puzzled as to why you used the sound of a crackling fire for much of the footage at the beginning, especially when there were numerous shots of landscape and no fire. Just seemed out of place. Your VO and music work well together.

I have to ask you this: for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone in their right mind (please forgive me) would want to sit outside in the freezing cold in the snow in front of a fire! Why? This is so bizarre – but then maybe that is why you referred to the person as a colourful character. Why a fireplace outside in the first place? is that normally used for a BBQ in the summer time? Your world is so very different from mine in terms of conditions and the nature of the elements that I find it difficult to relate to some of the things that you encounter there. I learn new things about our world every time we have a UWOL Challenge! :)