Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL33 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 5th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL33

Vishal,

There doesn't have to be a story, just a common thread.

Like Marj said, the theme would lend itself to a music video. There doesn't even have to be narration.

If you wanted to interpret the theme literally you could do something about golden hour in a certain location or an abstract piece of how the golden sun dances on the water of a stream or river.

Don't over think it. Put on some relaxing music, close your eyes and think about something magical.
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Kevin

Magical is something that i want to produce, let me try a new approach here, start to shoot and then make a sequence as i get the shots and lastly come up with music that can make it flow.

vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Trustee

Ok, i think i am starting to put a bit of a plan together. This theme certainly is going to produce some stunning results i think. One of those themes that inspires.
Again, i am going to try to make my submission like a sequence from my UWOL long form project that started way back when, & am still working on. Hopefully i will be finished with it by the end of this year.
Good luck to everyone.
Bryce
Old March 7th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #19
Major Player

Hopped out of bed at 04h00 this morning, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (hmm) to get to my location before the sunrise - which I did. Didn't find anything particularly interesting in terms of subject matter at that time of the morning but I did get a few things and at least I could test my settings. Had a lovely day out birding!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #20
Trustee

At least you were able to get out Marj.
As I was walking into work this morning I saw an incredible sunrise unfolding in the distance.
Had amazing clouds with some low hanging clouds that were like golden cotton candy.

My only chances for sunrise footage is on my two days off this month the 21st and 22nd.
Having only two days off a month really cramps my morning shooting. :)
Old March 7th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #21
Major Player

i now have a idea, decided to use the footage i did from 1-3rd of this month.

To make it flow have written down a few shots that i need to make, will be trying those in next week. Just that how i want to define the Golden hours is something i still find tricky.

Let me have Plan A executed next week, if its successful nothing like it , if not i am in trouble .

Music - isn't that my weak point every time, going to put together the film and then work on the music.

vishal
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Good to see some of you already have ideas and been out working on your projects.
Here the "golden hour" and the rest of the days has been all dark grey and very wet, so far this month.

Good luck, everyone!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #23
Trustee

Then the script is finished and I have picked out locations for filming.
It includes a lot of traveling around the district, and I need that the weather gods are on my side.
At this time the toads begin their annual march towards their mating pond, which I hope to get on tape (read: "memory card"). They walk/jump in the evening, night and toward dawn, so it will be very exciting to see if I hit the jackpot when it comes to Scandinavia's largest toad colony.
Now I must find warm clothes for several night missions.

I understand that many of you are busy out there, working on your project and wish everyone good luck.
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #24
Major Player

I'm still figuring out the plan. Have ideas about animals that may be relevant - but which ones if any I can get on camera is a different issue. Have to make a plan to get out early and see what I find. The sunrise is happening later now for us which should make it easier. Maybe I should see if the male Lyrebirds are starting to do their mourning displays yet... Summer was not typical this year so lots of plants and animals are probably confused about the season.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
At this time the toads begin their annual march towards their mating pond, which I hope to get on tape (read: "memory card"). They walk/jump in the evening, night and toward dawn, so it will be very exciting to see if I hit the jackpot when it comes to Scandinavia's largest toad colony.
It would be fantastic if you could capture this Geir. Hope so - really looking forward to seeing this!
Old March 8th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Then the script is finished and I have picked out locations for filming.
It includes a lot of traveling around the district, and I need that the weather gods are on my side.

I understand that many of you are busy out there, working on your project and wish everyone good luck.
Geir the idea looks interesting and if you get the shots you wish to it would be a amazing one to watch.

Toads in here are underground will be out when the rains get here in June or so but there is a impressive spectacle that we get when they come out as they would do amazing calling, the males turn bright yellow in their breeding season and the colour lasts for some days only, making it a wonderful time to watch in the night when they start singing.
This year i will give it a try provided i get together decent equipment to shoot at night.

I shot some desert fox for 3 days, ( its a sub species of the red fox) found in the Indian desert areas. first time i went shooting those. Now to shoot some scenes to make the sequence interesting to watch, made a time lapse or 2 there which i intend to use.

All said tomorrow i am off to shoot something else all together , Plan B this is gonna be just in case i land up with a problem in Plan A end i need to have something on hand. So its getting up early again and getting busy .
All the best folks , its gonna be a interesting round this one as the light in all the different countries would be on view,
cheers
vishal
Old March 9th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #27
Major Player

That also sounds very interesting Vishal - look forward to seeing your entry on the desert foxes.

I did a series of tests yesterday around my neighbourhood during sunrise and sunset and for anyone who may be interested the two WB settings that worked best as far as I am concerned were manual white balance and Kevin’s 5500K.

For my test I used a constant shutter speed of 100 and set the ISO to 100 - adjusted the aperture accordingly. The blue card worked well to create a warm orange cast but it removed all blue from the sky and allowed little leeway in post.
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #28
Trustee

I remember now why I don't ever do a script or really plan much of anything.

Wrote the script when it was -15F and now we are in the 60's!
Need so ice on the creeks? Nope, all melted.

Oh well, still having fun being out in nature. That's all that really matters.
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
Oh well, still having fun being out in nature. That's all that really matters.
Exactly! And maybe you even experience something new.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #30
Major Player

Plan B - Flopped
Its raining in here and the evening golden light hours all but gone.

Needed few shots to complete my film and rains have played spoil sport and now me getting worried.

Kevin,
I too had a script in mind which i wanted to edit to and now with the rains, i am just looking at the skies :)
with untimely rains there are number of issues that happen in nature and i am encountering them now. One of my favorite spot to see the Steppe Eagles is where i visited today to find 6 adult eagles dead , due to some odd poisoning that may happen when rains decay some of the food that these eagles tend to pick . Did happen some years back with other birds this time the eagles had to pay the price.

Now thinking how to approach this edit .

cheers
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge