Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL33 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 21st, 2015, 12:34 AM   #61
Trustee

Re: Tales of wonders and woes - UWOL33

Here you go Vishal,
This should help.
https://vimeo.com/help/compression
On the right hand side of the page are all the tutorials for compression settings for pretty much all the nle's.
Regards,
Bryce
Old March 21st, 2015, 07:46 AM   #62
Major Player

I’m sorry, Vishal. In my earlier comment I foolishly assumed that you had already seen the page that Bryce just gave you the link to. What I was saying is that I follow those guidelines and if I don’t like the results I tend to increase the data rate. The settings here are recommendations not limits. The tutorials only go up to CS5 but procedure hasn’t changed much since then. Note that by default Premier tends to set keyframes a bit farther apart than recommended by Vimeo. If you have questions about any specific settings do be sure to let us know.

I don’t think anyone around here has been to film school! (yet) ;)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 10:10 AM   #63
Major Player

Mike,
I did see the Vimeo settings as they were shared in the last challenge .

Guess my question is what is the base broadcast ready settings used by people. Say we record at 100 mbits or 200 mbits and render out in 5 mbits (vimeo) simply degrading the quality by 20 times or so.
This is the reason why i wanted to understand what is that we use for broadcast.

Sorry for my question being mis-leading.

vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 10:19 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
I have a question to you folks and Trond:
As for now, I'm taking pictures from national TV (NRK) which has direct transfer from Svalbard and the eclipse. Is it possible for me to use a picture that I take of this TV event?
Sorry, didn't notice this one until now.

Are you talking about a single frame or a sequence from the tv show?
A single frame you haven't shot yourself (tv or from other sources) would probably be fine for UWOL, as it would be to illustrate something in your film.
This has been done a few times in the past, if my memory is correct.
(If copyright issues permits)

Taking a sequence from tv is a very dark grey zone regarding both copyright rules and the UWOL idea itself. Anyone better than me on the copyright rules on this one probably can help you there.

We don't have any rules that specific covers this, but we have "previous shot footage", which is meant to be things you have filmed yourself.

The idea with UWOL is that everything should be what you have produced yourself.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 11:31 AM   #65
Major Player

In the past Mereym allowed some brief use of public domain material on a case by case basis. If this is still to be allowed, within a couple of days imagery is likely to be posted online under Creative Commons license if past eclipses are anything to go by. What about using a shot taken by Geir Inge of himself in front of the television with the news report on the screen in the background? A grey area indeed. I doubt we have any experts here on Norge copyright law.

Vishal- Broadcast settings are another thing entirely. Each broadcaster will have its own requirements. It would be a good idea to learn the specific requirements of each broadcaster you hope or expect to work with. The BBC requirements and PBS Redbook are both linked here somewhere on DVInfo. A search may find them. In general, I think 50 Mbs is going to be about the minimum data rate for non news reporting broadcast. There will also be other settings to consider. You might ask a question over in the “Open DV Discussion” subforum where DVInfo members used to routinely dealing with broadcast are more likely to see it. Also, you might send an e-mail to Mat Thompson. He’s a really nice guy and has a lot more broadcast experience than the other UWOLers.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:33 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
What about using a shot taken by Geir Inge of himself in front of the television with the news report on the screen in the background?
This would in my opinion be within the UWOL guidelines, as it would be made for the challenge.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:06 AM   #67
Trustee

Thanks for the input to my question about using an indoor image of TV broadcast.
I'll see what I end up with, in the end.

Here on my part of the world, the weather has changed as rapidly as some changes his shirt.
Which leads to that I constantly have to change my plans - still, I'm not complaining :)
On the contrary, the whole process is a bit exciting, because it is constantly changing.
Coming two days promise cloudless sky, so maybe there will be opportunity for good shooting.
I have behind me two trips to the toad habitat, unfortunately without result.
Think I need to contact someone who has knowledge of the toads, maybe I can get some good advice.
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #68
Major Player

A little late out of the starting gates again this round. The better weather days we had I was sick for, and whilst I was capable of venturing out I didn't want to prolong illness. Maybe I'm not suffering for the art enough. And a couple of other chances was back muscles giving me a headache and lugging around the camera with tripod wasn't going to happen.

I did manage a recce (scouting trip) to the national park and ventured onto a track I'd never taken before. It's not the recommended walking track but an access trail (park management and fire access) but not prohibited either - although it felt a bit rebellious taking it at first. Started out gentle but had a decent amount of vertical later on. Got some photos of a wallaby whilst ascending, before it got spooked. Also got a couple of snaps of a female lyrebird (really want to get a male) returning. Could hear the grunts of a Koala on the early parts of the trail, but couldn't see which tree it was in.

What I did find, back on the regular trail, was a couple of mounds just off the track that look like a lyrebird made them - not sure how recent they are, but the scratching on the edge of the trails nearby looked recent. Hopefully if I get there early one of these mornings and wait, it might show itself for a little while. Or maybe I'll fluke something else that's active at twilight. Might be an 11th hour (put together at the final few days) entry.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #69
Major Player

Thanks Mike.

I have been travelling for some days now, not really looking for the footage of this current film but to just scout for places, this was more of a photography trip rather than any videos .

Today i will combine the video with the audio track and see where i am and what all needs to change , this time around i may again try and upload early if all goes well.

Andrew,
In the Monsoon series of BBC i saw a shot of the Red Kangaroos back lit in Golden light very magical feel to it. Remember a shot in a older documentary of these running late evening against the setting sun was a shot which made me look at it again and again. I am excited to see your entry would surely be interesting one.

Looking ahead to see every bodies entries this time around.

vishal
Old March 25th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #70
Trustee

Just wanna give my comments to subject of music video.
Music is nearly always used in the intro and at the end of a programme/video/film.
If you use music in the rest of the video, I think is up to personal taste.
However, many people do feel that wildlife films should have no music, just the natural sounds from animals and the original recordings. And we are after all a group of wildlife filmmakers, I guess?
Still, most of wildlife videos do have music in it - just to fill the silences if needed to, or to match the mood or build a drama.
I ask myself: Why would I make a video?
The answer for me is given; I will tell a story.
A story can be told with just pictures and music, but the mood of the music must fit the images.
Only then the viewer will be given the opportunity to understand the story, when the pictures and the music tells the same story. This requires good skills.
Personally I am of the opinion that a wildlife video should have music, original sound, a storyteller, and if necessary foley sound. Sound is often underestimated in our videos.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I always try when I make videos: To think in small sequences, even when we are talking about a small videos on 2-4 minute.
Lets say a sequence is 20 to 30 sec, that way it will be easier for me to merge a story.
A wildlife video is often about an animal, a group of animals or a landscape area, such as the habitat of an animal.
For me, this is what it's about. To tell a story about our nature, convey the dangers of pollution and how we can take care of biodiversity.
Actually, take care of each other :)
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:30 AM   #71
Major Player

Geir Inge,

Thats so very well put together.
Today i included the music track to the video and felt that it had a lot missing, then thought of adding the elements that make up the environment where we shoot, so the sounds that we hear when we are shooting.
This made me add sounds that depicted the moment, linked sequence and later looked at the complete piece and it made more sense.
Guess after this experience i feel that the music really is there to form a underline binder to the full video, intensity or pitch may define it being active or passive in certain parts of the film, The visuals have the first priority for me, second comes the natural sounds in the area of shoot, then comes music score.
Since i am so very new to this world of film making i absolutely dont have the confidence in narration at the moment, however i feel that narration in itself is so powerful if rightly used that i can tell the required story.
So when i get confidence to use Narration i may reduce the 3rd element of Music score .
Till then it will be a integral part.
vishal
Old March 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #72
Inner Circle

First entry is uploaded. Well done!
Will we get two digit uploads this time... Hope all do well. Still plenty time until deadline.
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #73
Trustee

Hi Vishal.
Nice to hear your project is moving forwards.
In uwol history (correct me anyone if I'm wrong) many types of videos has been shown.
Videos with music, videos with music and foley sound and text or narration and videos where you can get a friend to read the text.
I can mention a few that have delivered great videos: Kevin Railsback, Ruth Happel, Per Johan, Mat Thompson, Catherine Russel and many more.
I wish these videos could be found, it's great learning just watching them and showing we have many opportunities making wildlife videos.

I need to upload my video tonight, tomorrow I will travel with my wife on Easter holidays to Bergen (Tronds hometown).
I look forward to seeing all the entries.
Old March 29th, 2015, 05:27 AM   #74
Major Player

Ahh finally completed it.

Ready to upload

vishal
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #75
Major Player

Hi Trond,

I was unable to reach you by e-mail. Would you publish the upload code here?

Steve Siegel
rm4birds@yahoo.com
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge