DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #33 - "Crepuscular Critters" by Andrew Hood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/527569-uwol-33-crepuscular-critters-andrew-hood.html)

Andrew Hood April 1st, 2015 06:17 PM

UWOL #33 - "Crepuscular Critters" by Andrew Hood

Disclaimer: this film should not be taken remotely seriously, and may not be suitable for viewing, do so at your own risk.

What can I say - left it very late. I can blame some of it on having a cold for over a week, and repeated tension headaches (more an issue of not being inclined to carry 7kg+ of gear and making things worse). Meant I missed some of the better weather. So it was mainly scrambling around the last few days to get something together. At that point making something credible wasn't going to happen, and I thought it might be better to avoid just having clips to music. So this is more a mockumentary. Maybe even some indirect commentary on what it takes to do this style of production properly. Most was shot during the Golden Hour(s) but there's a few sunnier shots in there. Different places can look good at different times of day - and sometimes it's when the Sun is around 30 - 45 degrees elevation. And sometimes the subjects aren't where you can find them, at the required time of day.

Hopefully you find this entertaining. I plan to be a bit more serious next time... we'll see.

Trond Saetre April 1st, 2015 10:52 PM

Re: UWOL #33 - "Crepuscular Critters" by Andrew Hood

Hi Andrew,

I enjoyed watching your film. Kangaroos are fascinating animals to me.
Thank you for sharing.

Mike Sims April 2nd, 2015 09:51 AM

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew! What can I say? I lost count of how many times I laughed. The line about “the second unit never got the developmental stages footage we needed…” is priceless. I’ll attempt to be more serious here myself and ask- did you slip a wallaby in amongst the reds? I look forward to more of your serious work but, as for me, please feel free to be less than serious whenever you like. I do so enjoy your sense of humor. Around here we might say something like “waytago dude!” (I hope you know that translates as something roughly equivalent to “gudanya mate!”)

Steve Siegel April 2nd, 2015 07:43 PM

Hi Andrew,

It's about time we got a little humor in here! Nice work.

Mick Jenner April 4th, 2015 12:21 PM

Brilliant, not sure if I should be offended with the mock English accent lol

Mick

Vishal Jadhav April 5th, 2015 09:29 AM

Andrew,

The first sequence from the monotones to the golden light sets the tone perfectly for the video.

Nice you choose the kangaroos for your main subject, some lovely footage here.

Those shots of the roos over the grass are interesting.

Music is there but just flows through and we don't notice it so its good .

VO makes it more powerful.

Watched it a few times its lovely.

vishal

Andrew Hood April 5th, 2015 08:48 PM

I forgot to mention about feedback, feel free for level 1 (I think that's the tell me what you really think level?).

I'm glad people have enjoyed it. On the flip side it's frustrating that this it what it takes to be accessible to outside groups, whereas the more serious stuff has a much narrower appeal. As in I've had much better feedback about this film from friends and family.

Mike - It was a wallaby in there (well spotted), though not much shorter than the roos. I think the roos were all grays, the reds are even larger and less timid - or maybe there's some hybrids. Blame it on the sunlight at the time, with nearby burn-offs the sky was a little redder than usual. Maybe I should check up on that though... I just always thought all the locals were 'gray'.

Steve - just trying to salvage a video from the footage I had in limited time (hence the 'second unit' line). Seemed the easier path to take.

Mick - it was meant as a vague imitation of Attenborough, but I probably wandered through a few dialects in the attempt (on a good day I do a vocal tour of the UK and end up back where I started). You mean the BBC wouldn't hire me with that 'accent'? I can cross another career path off the list then. My usual VO is essentially aiming for an RP in the Australian accent - if that even makes sense.

Vishal - I did slightly cheat by desaturating the first 10 or so seconds, and fading the saturation up. It was fairly muted colours anyway at the beginning, but I wanted to really make it an obvious transition - I should have gotten up earlier it might have just worked without tweaks.

Mick Jenner April 6th, 2015 01:39 AM

Hi Andrew, if its your wish to become the next Attenborough then you will definitely need to polish up that accent. Always on the look out for business opportunities I have a sister in law (English) living in Brighton, Melbourne who would charge you handsomely for elocution lessons or if you wanted a rougher English south coast accent then my my son in Adelaide would be your person, again at an absorbent charge. Either way it would be money well spent so that when England win the Ashes this summer you could attend all the ex-pat parties without being recognised as an Aus and being well and truly ribbed. Hope my sense of humour has come over ok, as you know us Brits are well known for the lack of it!!

Marj Atkins April 6th, 2015 11:22 AM

Hi Andrew

As others have said, it’s good to see someone bringing some humour to UWOL for the first time. Really like the English accent. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hood (Post 1882108)

I'm glad people have enjoyed it. On the flip side it's frustrating that this it what it takes to be accessible to outside groups, whereas the more serious stuff has a much narrower appeal. As in I've had much better feedback about this film from friends and family.

I would say the reason for this is your film is entertaining to watch. However, hidden inside this mockumentary are some pretty impressive shots of the sunrise and the kangaroos at dawn. Maybe this is what it takes to get folk interested in this amazing world in which we live!

I am still looking forward to seeing the Lyre bird but I guess that finding something that special is pretty difficult.