DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #34 At Ground Level - Garden Snail (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/528594-uwol-34-ground-level-garden-snail.html)

LeRoy Gunderson June 1st, 2015 10:30 AM

UWOL #34 At Ground Level - Garden Snail

This is only my second entry completion and it turned out to be quite a challenge. It has been raining here for the past 2-3 weeks everyday which made it difficult to put anything together. It was fun and a real learning experience. Constructive comments/criticism are always welcome as I am striving to improve.

Thanks for taking the time to view my entry.

Vishal Jadhav June 3rd, 2015 01:27 AM

Re: UWOL #34 At Ground Level - Garden Snail

LeRoy,

I like the title and ending animation of the snail.

The first perspective shots, i like the one which is more at the ground level than the one from the top, just a personal choice.

Film is very informative , however the information is more audible rather than visual, i can understand that due to bad weather you would be highly restricted to get the shots you would have planned in the first place. however this is a just a observation.

i like the nice feel to the film

cheers

Marj Atkins June 3rd, 2015 08:26 AM

Hi Leroy – so glad you were able to submit an entry this round.

I enjoyed watching your video – it is neat and informative and very well narrated. I was interested to hear the reason for the shells of your snails being so pale compared with those of our garden snails.

I missed seeing footage of one or two of the snail predators and how about a shot of escargots being served? Maybe a friendly restaurant could have helped out in exchange for free advertising at the end of your film? :)

I like the way you have used a variety of camera moves. This is a very minor critique but I feel that it is a bit awkward having two fairly long pans following each other – one moving in one direction and the other in the opposite direction – as with your first two pans across the flowerbed.

Your title and credits are pretty creative! I liked the colors you used for the text too.

Very nice entry Leroy.

Trond Saetre June 3rd, 2015 09:36 AM

Hi LeRoy,

Glad you were able to submit an entry this time.
You have an interesting story, and I enjoyed watching it.
As been mentioned already, a little more "visuals" to back up the narrative would have be great. But I understand how the bad weather restricted you. I struggled with the same thing.

I look forward to see more of your future films.

Geir Inge June 4th, 2015 02:29 AM

Hi Leroy.

I'm glad you got submitted your contribution, this round.

Snails are fascinating creatures. A little slow, but can maneuver their way in the most unlikely places.
The video is informative and gives a good picture of garden snails life.
I liked the text and animation to start.
May I ask what editing program you use?
Maybe you could use recordings of a duck or other birds, as an example of predators?
Just a suggestion.
In my garden, snail shells have light brown stripes inward, toward the center of the shell.
My older brother is a chef, and loves snails as food.
I can control my excitement, haha.

I like your video though and thanks for sharing.

Paul Wood June 4th, 2015 01:01 PM

Hi LeRoy,

Glad you managed to get an entry in this round, as our colleagues have commented, it would have been nice to have a little more variety in the shots, but I guess there's only so much you can do with a snail..., but perhaps a few dissolves on the greenery could have added a bit of pace.

I echo the other thoughts here regarding the titles.
Nice to see the only entry from the US this round as well!

Well done!

LeRoy Gunderson June 4th, 2015 01:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I used Motion 5 for the title and end. I agree I should have used more variety in my shots. This is a learning process for me and and I will take the suggestions forward onto the next project.