UWOL #35 - Upstairs and downstairs - by Trond Saetre and Hege Johansen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:50 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL #35 - Upstairs and downstairs - by Trond Saetre and Hege Johansen

This was a joined project between my friend Hege and myself.
The idea was to see what creatures live near the water surface, both above and below.
As so often before, time and weather had their own opinions about how and things should be done. But, a challenge must live up to it's name, so a challenge it was.
Should have had more varied footage, but ran out of time.

The underwater footage was filmed with a gopro, hanging in a line. Made it hard to control the camera movments, resulting in shaky footage. Tried the "warp stabilizer" effect in Premiere, but that made it even worse. Any tips and ideas for how to get more stabilized underwater footage with the gopro, is most welcome.

(Notice that this video is not part of the judging since I made the challenge theme)

Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL #35 - Upstairs and downstairs - by Trond Saetre and Hege Johansen

I like your film Trond.
Thank you for sharing.
Old September 6th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Trond and Hege - a nice little example of sea life at the shore, and well put together with the commentary and music.

I had similar problems with a GoPro in my film about the brook, and solved it by using a carbon fibre mic boom pole I have - its not ideal, and you have to dry it well after, but it works pretty well as a low cost solution. Another way would be to hang a weight below the camera to keep it stable on the line.

I look forward to seeing more entries from Hege in the future!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Trond and Hege, thanks for posting, good to see collaborations. Its only by experimenting that we can improve.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank you, Geir Inge, Paul and Mick for the feedback! Hopefully I will get time to make my own entry next time.
Hege Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
...using a carbon fibre mic boom pole I have - its not ideal, and you have to dry it well after, but it works pretty well as a low cost solution. Another way would be to hang a weight below the camera to keep it stable on the line.
A boom pole would definitely prevent the gopro from spinning/panning on its own will, like it did for us when filming the fishes and shrimps. Thanks for the tip!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Apologies for posting here so late. Welcome to UWOL Hege and hope you will enjoy your time here making some interesting videos.

I enjoyed your little film although I wish it had been longer and that you could have got in a bit closer to some of those interesting looking creatures. Seems like you did not have good weather.

Trond if you are a bit handy you could make something like this. I found an old window cleaner with an aluminum telescopic handle and I adapted it for the GoPro: We hammered the end flat and drilled a hole in it. We also rounded the end so that the camera could be used at different angles. It fits into the standard fitting of the GoPro waterproof case. I can stand on a bridge and reach the water when it's fully extended. At the opposite end I glued on a round level like the ones used for leveling a caravan. It is useful if you want a level shot.
We also made a short one that is easy to carry in the camera bag for use in shallow water like fishponds.
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL #35 - Upstairs and downstairs - by Trond Saetre and Hege Johansen-go-pro-handle.jpg  
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thank you, Marj!
The tip about the window cleaner bar sounds like worth trying out. Would have helped a lot!

Used my XM300 to film the "no name" creatures, and I had focusing issues when trying to get closer. I agree with you, close ups would have improved the film a lot.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge