UWOL Fun shoots - thoughts and ideas - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 3rd, 2015, 02:37 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL Fun shoots - thoughts and ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner View Post
I would like to see films put up for judging for 7 days without explanations from the entrants, after voting, a further 7days for comments and only then the results announced. That way new comers would not feel the judging of their entries are influenced by comments from regulars here.
Interesting thoughts. Maybe we can try this out.
For me, the most important is the feedback. This is what we all can learn from, and a great way to improve our skills as outdoors film makers. When the UWOL challenge was created back in 2006/2007, this was also said to be one of the goals of the challenge.
The judging and announcing winners, of course is, and will continue to be, a part of UWOL, but in my opinion not the most important part of the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman View Post
If I remember right the UWOL Challenge was started as a way to get people out and shooting nature.
Your memory is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman View Post
I have mixed feelings about prizes. If a person is only interested because there is a prize being offered I don't think they will enter very often as there is some very talented people here. I believe you have to enjoy the challenge of doing these short films with a theme not of your choosing for the fun and experience gained and not to win some prize.
Agreed!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:42 PM   #32
Major Player

I agree wholeheartedly with Marj’s most eloquent posts describing the current state of play of UWOL, and most of the subsequent comments - ( I have to admit I wrote most of this a few days ago, having been victim to DVInfo’s time out problem a few times).

I still consider myself a ¨newcomer,´ although looking back at my posts, I’ve been here since UWOL 24!
Back then I was overawed by the quality of the films I saw here, and thought I could not possibly compete - I don’t have the kit to film wildlife, and it has been a long time since I was in the Serengeti with my old Nikon and tele lens - but I read the introduction - ¨and all aspiring outdoor film makers to join a community of like-minded people, swap stories, learn skills, win prizes and maybe get an exclusive place in the winners’ circle ¨- have a go, I thought, and I was very pleased with the response to my first entry - The Farmer.

I was made to feel very welcome, received good comments, some for technical faults, some regarding the story, but I was enthused by the idea - a fixed time frame, a fixed theme, a fixed duration, and a fixed submission date.

As I said in another post, Im not sure that the emphasis on wildlife is something that is dictated by UWOL, or is more likely a factor of those submitting films over that past couple of years - as Kevin said its the emphasis on ¨outdoor/nature/wildlife ¨
None of my films have been exclusively about wild things, but are more like Nature films - as are Simon’s, which I admire greatly - try and tell a story which features the theme.

The important thing is to take it as a challenge - get out and film something - whatever it is, and as close to your interpretation of the theme as you can, and learn - you will have fun doing it, you will gain by applying a fixed time frame to achieve it, and you will be helped by the group - I feel proud to be part of that group, and your comments have helped me improve, in many respects.

As in life, things will ebb and flow - the UWOL challenge is a great institution, and we are lucky to be part of DVInfo - a world leading forum in my opinion - we can have discussions such as this one, without getting bogged down in endless bull about the latest lens, camera, of gadget on the market - there is no (excuse my expression) ¨willy waving ¨ here.

Lets just stick to it - I like the idea of a fun challenge - we tried the idea of a round the world collaborative film, which got to a certain stage and stopped, we have great ideas between us, but of course most of us are not professional wildlife videographers, and we have the normal pressures of day to day life.
I think a prize is always welcome, but I’m sure in the days of the Rode and Sony competitions it would be hard to compete, and as Gordon has said, if I had had entered at the time to win a prize, I would have been discouraged because of the quality of the previous entries.

However, success breeds success, so why not stick to the current formula and see what happens? Perhaps we could post links to the Facebook page, or on wildlife film pages such as UDENA or Wildlife-film as referenced by Simon above. I suppose if we really want exposure, we should consider a You Tube channel - thats where the clicks are…..

Meanwhile - stick to Rule 11, and thanks to Trond for keeping the ball rolling (I do like the idea of sending five theme ideas).
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
I do like the idea of sending five theme ideas.
Go for it :)
Finding a theme that can be used anywhere in the world at the same time, can be a challenge itself.
I'm always open for new ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
As I said in another post, Im not sure that the emphasis on wildlife is something that is dictated by UWOL, or is more likely a factor of those submitting films over that past couple of years - as Kevin said its the emphasis on ¨outdoor/nature/wildlife ¨

The important thing is to take it as a challenge - get out and film something - whatever it is, and as close to your interpretation of the theme as you can, and learn - you will have fun doing it, you will gain by applying a fixed time frame to achieve it, and you will be helped by the group - I feel proud to be part of that group, and your comments have helped me improve, in many respects.
Well said! It's first of all a challenge and encouragement for each and every one of you to try new things, push your limits and improve your skills.
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #34
Trustee

Hi UWOL friends:

For those of you who don't know me, I participated in UWOL in the early days. Amazingly, Trond has continued to keep after me and he sent word about this in-between Fun challenge using old material and a platform to stretch the imagination a bit. I received word really late in the game, but I've managed to pull something together. And, like old times, it's been a blast! Thanks Trond!

The dialog on this thread is impressive and a must for keeping UWOL alive and well through the ages. I'm in no place to comment but I have observed one thing: We haven't even started the feedback threads yet, but I feel like I've been welcomed home. It's like coming in from the cold and into your living-room to sit by the fire. Looking at the list Marj put together of the those who participated in the last 3 rounds, there are many familiar faces there along with some people I don't know.... that looks like a healthy UWOL community to me! Does the group need to be large to do well? I'm betting that after having stepped away for a few years and now returning, I'm going to be blown away by the entries from those of you who have kept at it through the challenges. And perhaps that's the point of it, that everyone improves their skill while having fun. Since you all have been at it, it might not be apparent to you how much you have improved, individually and as a group. But not having been around, I will be sure to see it, and I will let you know when I do!!!

It is wonderful to participate this round. I can't wait to see what you all have put together with such an "open" theme.

Could you now let me know what I am to do to post my entry? When do you put up your threads? How are we to title them? Do I simply upload to Vimeo and include the link in my thread?

Thanks for helping out an "old" "newbie"!

Cheers,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #35
Inner Circle

For any newcomers:

When uploading your video to vimeo:
Please include "by 'your name'" in the title, and "fun shoot 2015" in the description. Makes my job easier when I don't have to watch the video to figure out who the film maker is.
(I'll make sure every entry is titled the same way before publising.)

Use Vimeo guidelines for quality settings.

Make the videos "private".
After deadline I am changing all the submitted videos to "public" and post a new thread here with links to all videos.
After that is done, all players should make their own feedback threads. Please include a link to your video and specify what kind of feedback you prefer. (Level 1, 2 or 3) See the guidelines for more info.

All players (and of course anyone else who might want to) are strongly encouraged to give feedback to the other players.

If you have questions, ask!
Old October 11th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #36
Major Player

To where are we to upload it, Trond. Do we use our own accounts?
Old October 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Tim, I have replied to your email with the instructions for upload.
Welcome!
Old October 11th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #38
Major Player

Thanks Trond. I have uploaded it.
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #39
Major Player

Trond,

Please e-mail me, too, where to upload the video. Can you submit more than one?

rm4birds@yahoo.com
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Steve, I forgot to answer here earlier, but I sent the email to you last night. Hope you got it.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge