DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Norwegian Landscape by Trond Saetre - UWOL Fun shoot 2015 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/530020-norwegian-landscape-trond-saetre-uwol-fun-shoot-2015-a.html)

Trond Saetre October 13th, 2015 09:44 AM

Norwegian Landscape by Trond Saetre - UWOL Fun shoot 2015

The fall is an explosion of colors up in the Norwegian mountains.
Spent last weekend hiking on the Hardangervidden mountain plateu, and this is the result.
A week or two too late to get the best colors, as most of the nature is about to turn brown now before the snow comes.

Filmed something similar for the UWOL27 in the same area, but wanted to see if I could make two films about the same, without being exactly the same. Hopefully I succeeded.

Feel free to tear it apart with level 1 - or just watch and enjoy :)

Tim Lewis October 13th, 2015 10:08 AM

Re: Norwegian Landscape by Trond Saetre - UWOL Fun shoot 2015

Trond, thanks for showing us more of your wonderful country! It is so strange to see the lack of trees, even for someone who has lived in the desert regions of Australia.

I found that the pans and some of the stiller shots were a bit wonky in places, were you using a tripod? I suppose when you have to carry it all there are limits! It was nice to hear the gurgling of the streams, but I felt it could have done with a bit more ambient noise, was there much?

I loved all the colours, even though they didn't seem to reach more than a few inches from the ground.

Catherine Russell October 13th, 2015 11:03 AM

Hey Trond:

Wow! You live in an amazing place that is both stunningly beautiful and brutal! These panorama shots are spectacular. It seems your camera can be in focus in both near-view and out for infinity! What strikes me most about how you have improved since our early days is your mastery of your camera which impresses me. You have pans and movements that bring motion and adds a level of dynamism and of course difficulty than static views. Nice!

I thought your music selection added to the experience and not including the ambient landscape noise throughout was a plus, not a distraction. When the water flow audio pops in, it really stands out and makes you take notice. I suspect this is a windy landscape and in most shots the natural wind audio wouldn't add to the footage.

One idea that just occurred to me is to introduce your video with no music and hearing that wind blow to really draw us in to what it is really like standing out there. Then start the music and continue just how you did.

Way to go, Trond! This gave me the inspiration to take a moment and reflect on how amazing our natural world is, how fragile and beautiful and full of detail if we just take the time to notice! :)

Sincerely,
Cat

Trond Saetre October 13th, 2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Russell (Post 1900392)
I thought your music selection added to the experience and not including the ambient landscape noise throughout was a plus, not a distraction. When the water flow audio pops in, it really stands out and makes you take notice. I suspect this is a windy landscape and in most shots the natural wind audio wouldn't add to the footage.

One idea that just occurred to me is to introduce your video with no music and hearing that wind blow to really draw us in to what it is really like standing out there. Then start the music and continue just how you did.

The only ambient sound throughout the film, is the wind. (Except for the running water).
So it was intentionally made this way to make the sound of the water become special.
I'm pleased you like it this way too.

We often have strong winds in this area, especially winter time. But even though the winds were gentle and sometimes close to zero, the sound of the wind would be stronger than any other ambient sounds... if there were any.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis (Post 1900383)
I found that the pans and some of the stiller shots were a bit wonky in places

It was shot all handheld, and I was battling with some wind part of the time.

Thank you for the comments. Glad you liked it.

Tim Lewis October 13th, 2015 11:46 AM

Even though it must have been tough shooting conditions, you have made a lovely film. I suspected there was some wind, and that was why we did not hear as much ambient sound also. You sure live in a special place.

Trond Saetre October 13th, 2015 11:53 AM

Thanks, Tim! I guess every area has its own charm.

Kevin Railsback October 13th, 2015 02:27 PM

Trond,

You live in such an amazingly beautiful place!!

Everything you filmed is just screaming for you to fly over with your Phantom and record all its beauty from a higher vantage point!!

The water of course was my favorite part! Loved the little water droplets splashing around, shimmering like diamonds in the sunlight!

Since it was handheld the only thing maybe I'd add is some shots of the camera "walking" down the trail to tie together all the majestic vistas.

I like Cat's idea of fading in with the sound of the wind before the music starts.

Loved all those reds and other vibrant colors in your shots! A wonderful Fall montage of your corner of the world!!!

Gordon Hoffman October 14th, 2015 01:39 AM

Hi Trond
As I've mentioned before your country is something to see. Looking at it makes me thing what it would be like in the winter. Wind is something I know a bit about but here I have a bit of cover to help one get out of it some. As mentioned I think a bit of taste of wind could add to the open harshness feeling of the place. Still a beautiful place and enjoyed watching. I noticed the berries and they remind me of our huckleberries we have here.
Thanks.

Gordon

Trond Saetre October 14th, 2015 02:24 AM

Kevin,
Thanks, I'll try out the tips you gave me for walking the camera, and maybe add some of the wind sounds.

Gordon,
Thank you for the feedback. The berries are blueberry. We have lots of them.

Paul Wood October 15th, 2015 08:41 AM

A beautiful relaxing film, Trond.

So nice to see Norway that in all its glory in the autumn , and the music fits perfectly - my only comment would be over some of the cuts - some of the transitions were a bit jarring, and may have been better with a dissolve, but it would be nice to keep a sense of direction - i.e. panning right to left and matching shots, instead of coming to a stop or changing direction.

Keeps getting better Trond!

Geir Inge October 15th, 2015 11:02 AM

Hi Trond.

Finally, autumn is here and winter is approaching.
I sense that there was this year's first snow in the footage, at 1:07?
Great that you have a shot of plants.
More close-ups would have been nice to see, perhaps one of the creek, too?
I suppose it was too much to carry on your back, if you had included the drone?
I must commend you for showing our magnificent mountains.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Trond Saetre October 15th, 2015 02:23 PM

Paul,
I am painfully aware of the panning and transition issues you mentioned.
Should have tweaked it a bit more before submitting.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Geir,
Yes, this was first snow. (Snow was only above 1200 meters that day)
My phantom was unfortunately unavailable (at home), but using it in this film would absolutely have impoved the overall quality.

Vishal Jadhav October 17th, 2015 11:25 PM

Very Colorful film indeed, love the mood of the film