UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 29th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes

Thanks for sharing the kingfisher, Mick! I enjoyed watching it.

Kevin, you know how to bring up the excitement level! I expect the Yeti master to deliver something really good!

----------
3 entries uploaded to Vimeo so far. Let there be many more! Bring the weather, ladies and gentlemen!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #62
Major Player

Kevin it's always a great feeling when things come together like that. Sometimes things just fall into a persons lap and others you work your butt off for. Then there's the times went things are a complete flop. This is what makes this all interesting
Take care. Oh and get editing!

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #63
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post

I myself have been put slightly out of business for some days now, because of the flu.
It's that time of year, here up north.
Feel better, Geir!

Kevin, your frame grab is a stunner!
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #64
Trustee

Hey Geir and Cat,
Hope you are both feeling better soon and that you will find the strength to put something together.
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #65
Trustee

After a delay in my flight from Denver to Iowa I finally hit the bed at 4:30 this morning. My cat Hobbes decided I didn't pay him enough attention when I got home so he proceeded to paw at me before 7:30 this morning.

Ok, well. I'll start dumping footage only to have FCPX crash over and over again after importing footage for about an hour.

Decided to create the import library on another drive and so far, no crashes.
Hope I can get everything imported with no issues tonight so I can start editing!!
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #66
Trustee

Patience Kevin, patience
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #67
Trustee

Hi Bryce!

Thanks for the well-wishes -- I'm currently feeling fine and already have my video submitted. I was just well-wishing on Geir who is the one currently "under the weather" (no pun intended!) :)

Cheers all... the sky's the limit on this one, I think ;-)

Kevin -- your posts remind me of finals week and cramming for exams at university many moons ago (shudder) ...
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #68
Major Player

No entry for me this time, as I missed the sign up, but I look forward to seeing everyone else's. This looks like it's going to be a memorable round. Mick, those Kingfishers will probably triple the innkeeper's occupancy next year! You made them look like tropical exotics.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #69
Trustee

Hi Steve:

Many thank you's for participating with us this round even without a video submission this once. Your keen insights a very appreciated.
Old November 29th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #70
Trustee

It's 10:12PM here. Can you believe I'm still working on importing footage?
I really don't understand why I import footage and then the connection to it breaks when I try to import from another file.

I did manage to import a decent amount but I've been left with Plan F which is simply a comparison of the results of weather here in Iowa and the weather in Montana. Not what I wanted to do but life happens when you're making plans.

The music track I originally wanted to use for my idea doesn't work for this comparison video so I have a new one that i sonly 2:30 long. Not sure if I'll end the film there or try someway to continue it on.

Sucks because I've only used a fraction of the footage I intended too. Oh well, it's a film challenge and it certainly has challenged. me. :O)
Old November 30th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #71
Major Player

Mick: nice work on the Kingfisher - I think further north in Aus we have a variety of them, very blue in colour. I definitely need to learn more about bird filming - I want to get more footage of the Wedge-Tailed Eagle one of these days.

Kevin - was that meant to be roosting or rooting on the porch? (Post 51 on page 4 of the thread) Quite different meanings in Aus, the latter would be them procreating - although that might suit some nature documentaries. Hopefully you can sort out the technical issues.

Sounds like most people have had some trials this round. I thought I had more time to go and film, don't know where it went this month. Got a few clips earlier on, but have just been out as a last ditched effort with great sunny weather, probably got sunburnt in the process. And I might need fluids too, just skipped a few heartbeats in 20 seconds. I had broader plans early on, and then I had to decide on something simple to make it achievable. It might be more of a stretch for the theme, but it's still mostly related. Have to try and put things together now. There were other locations I really wanted to get footage from today, but time constraints and 'other factors' limited where I could film and how rushed I was. Nice scenery out and about though, even if we got stuck behind a herd of cattle for a while.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #72
Inner Circle

Tick, tock, clock is ticking and deadline is coming up.
If you haven't got the upload info for vimeo yet, let me know.

Looking forward to see much weather this round!
Bring it, and hope you all have had fun!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #73
Major Player

[QUOTE=Andrew Hood;1904000]Mick: nice work on the Kingfisher - I think further north in Aus we have a variety of them, very blue in colour. I definitely need to learn more about bird filming - I want to get more footage of the Wedge-Tailed Eagle one of these days.

Hi Andrew, please you enjoyed the kingfishers. You do have a biggi down there, the kookaburra they are from the same family you also have some other great great birds as well. My son and family live in Adelaide. Went to Kangaroo Island last time we were there, filmed all sorts but, particularly liked the Superb Fairywrens. Small, but beautiful.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #74
Trustee

Yay, film is almost done.
A few hours more work when I get home and hopefully I'll be uploading before its my bedtime!

Trying to find a way to include more of the wildlife from the trip but having a hard time because the first half of the trip was near 60 and no snow and the second half was a lot of snow and -15.

There's only one glaring sequence because of it but it's a couple cool shots and a different perspective that I may want to leave them in.

It's not in the film but didn't you know that bears really don't hibernate? If they have a good source they'll be active all winter long and even if they don't they still can meander around on warm winter days.
Have a great clip but none way to fit it in this version of Plan J for this film :(
Old November 30th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #75
Major Player

Done!

All uploaded and everything. I got it in the can early as the day for filming was the 4th of November. I just finished editing, and although not too happy with it I am safe from shaming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge