UWOL 36- Rhe Wind in Chinook Country by Gordon Hoffman - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 7th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: UWOL 36- Rhe Wind in Chinook Country by Gordon Hoffman

Gordon,I know you have been told this before but I'm gonna tell you again you have beautiful country up there, but my God it looks cold. I graduated from the University of Idaho, in Moscow Idaho, I remember the chinook winds. I particularly liked the way the story about the Chinook, not only it's tremendous speed and power, but also it's benefit to wildlife. You told very compelling story. I think I am really enjoying the fact that more and more of these entries Not only contain stunning footage, but there are also a teaching tool for people. You did a very good job explaining how the wind comes in, how it affects wildlife, and the different types of clouds that the wind forms over the mountains. It is a great formative video. Thank you. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Bob - Thanks a lot for the comments. The one thing I always liked about the UWOL was getting to see different parts of the world. Seems there is always something a person can learn from watching them and this round was really good.
Thanks again.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Gordon
You have some great shots in the video, and it gives some very strong visuals to tell the story. It was pieced together well and was informative whilst being enjoyable to watch.

Hadn't heard of Chinook winds before, just terms like katabatic and adiabatic winds with respect to fire behaviour. While working in the ski fields years ago at Falls Creek, Victoria we had quite warm winds one day that in a few hours decimated the snow cover. A timelapse would have looked like the snow being eaten away - eroded by the weather. It's interesting how geography can shape the weather to that extent, whereas I was looking at how weather can affect geography.

Great to see your part of the world, all these videos are like scattered memories of a trip I never took.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Gordon,

one of the best explanations of a chinook I have heard , and seen. They are always welcomer here usually the day after you have been hit. The fall has seemed like one continious chinook here.

I love fishing the crowsnest river The scenery is awesome out there and you did a nice job showing it.

fine job and thanks for taking the time to share!!!!
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #20
Major Player

Andrew - A chinook wind is a regional term for a foehn wind so I learned while looking up some facts. There is a local ski hill here and some winters it can be a challenge for them to keep operating. A couple days ago it was raining here.
Yes that is one of the things I enjoy about the UWOL is seeing different parts of the world. Thanks for the comments.

Dale - I figured you might feel the effect of them. Yes it has been pretty mild this fall. So how often do you come out here to fish the Crowsnest? It is a pretty piece of country. Thanks for the comments.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge