What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36

Hi Bryce and Gordon!

Bryce.... you hold your own, buddy, on your own! But I knew I would get a poke from you concerning my blaming all my problems on my camera! ;-) I still can't believe it myself!

Gordon, thanks for sharing my after-glow of discovery. You all are awesome.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:07 PM   #32
Trustee

Oh sorry Cat,
I certainly wasn't having a poke at you. Absolutely not. I am really glad to hear that you got your issue sorted. It just goes to show what an awesome place this is!!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:06 PM   #33
Trustee

Bryce,

I'd shoot whatever you needed but we all know that a lot of the satisfaction comes from looking at good footage and saying " I can't believe I shot that"! :)

Showed my film to my bosses this morning and they're like "you shot that"? No, I'm just showing you someone else's work. :)

But if we're ever in the same neck of the woods I'd be honored to go out filming nature and wildlife with any of the UWOL family!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:19 PM   #34
Trustee

Caught ya!

So, Kevin. Rocky Mountain National Park. When can we make it happen? No tourists this time of year...

Just do it!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:37 PM   #35
Trustee

If I didn't just get back from Montana, I'd be there Cat!

I'm going to try and figure out next years travel plans tomorrow so I'll see what I'll have available.

Going to the UK for the UWOL meet up will eat up a lot of my travel budget but it's a great opportunity to check out some great films and meet some of the friends I've made here!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:51 PM   #36
Trustee

Cat, I was once told that the best camera in the world..."is the one you have in your hand when you see that magic shot". How far are you from Fort Collins? If I remember it is not that far. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:20 PM   #37
Trustee

Kevin,
You are absolutely spot on. Just being out there for me is something to treasure, coming home with footage in the can is a bonus. At the end of the day, the more work you put in, the better your chances are of getting the results you are happy with. I have learnt so much from the great people here & i have you all to thank for that!
I have the same sentiments when it comes to getting out filming with any of the folks here at UWOL. I think i mentioned in another post that i spent a little bit of time with my parents recently in Yellowstone. I would love to get down there again soon to spend more time just filming. Maybe one of these days we could have a meet there too??
Of course Lyons Colorado would be cool too Cat, maybe we could all stay in the Poultry Palace, that place looks pretty chi,chi!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:22 PM   #38
Trustee

Hi everyone:

How great it is to have our threads become chat rooms. All are welcome here on mine!

If there is an opportunity a rendez-vous could happen in the vicinity of Colorado, I would do everything I could to be there.

Bob, I'm only about 50 minutes drive or so from Fort Collins. Are you in the area anytime soon? Your old stomping ground RMNP isn't far away. It would be great to meet up for a day up there.

Bryce, have you always been this witty? I find myself chuckling time and again at your posts. Believe me, the Poultry Palace is deluxe and our ladies know it. Is it any wonder I can't afford a new camera? ;-) We are an old crew around here anymore and we used to have it hopping (over 40 laying hens)... now in that deluxe house, only 8 chickens and two geese roost, (even though geese don't really roost).
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:01 AM   #39
Major Player

Nice film
Well if there are time lapses of clouds i really tend to ignore everything else, and you have clouds at so many places and in so many forms , its simply wonderful.
I am so new to videos that i cant comment on the ghosting that appears with the birds shot.

over all i like the video
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:36 AM   #40
Trustee

Hi Vishal:
Thanks for the review. I also forgot to mention in your post that you used the slider effect really well!

Hi Keven and Trond:

Ghosting Take #2

Well I'm close but not quite? Her is a still grab from later on in the newly-processed pigeon clip that I thought took care of the ghosting. As you can see, it's still there, much less noticeable, but there. Is this something that should be expected since my camera wasn't trying to focus on them in the first place and they flew through the field of view in a split second? Or do I still have more processing work to do? Thanks for your thoughts and expertise, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36-pigeonghosting2.jpg  
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:45 AM   #41
Trustee

It's certainly a ghost issue as the ghost image shows the birds wings in different positions unless they are not flapping their wings.

It's like the camera does one scan and then goes back to get the second scan after the birds have moved.

Shouldn't be happening if you're shooting progressive I would think.

I know there's something about my camera shoots interlaced and then does something to turn it to progressive footage but I've never really bothered to understand it.

Something weird is going on. You shouldn't have such bad ghosting going on. Glad it's getting better so at least we're making progress.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:46 AM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav View Post
I am so new to videos that i cant comment on the ghosting that appears with the birds shot.
Hi Vishal: I'm happy to walk you through what we are discussing about ghosting issues in my video if you want to weigh in. It seems to be a post processing thing I'm doing when for the longest time I thought it was my camera! You might have the perfect solution to what I'm doing :)
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:53 AM   #43
Trustee

Hi Kevin:

I so appreciate your insights. Going deep here, the only settings on my camera for shooting video is full HD, 1440 and Standard. I actually have no idea if it's shooting progressive or not. I set progressive at the stage of processing the raw TOD file.

Fire any ideas?

For grins I'll process the raw footage as interlaced to see what happens. If it works, then perhaps the deinterlacing can enter in at the final processing of the movie. (?)
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:41 AM   #44
Trustee

Hey Cat,
Glad to hear you are getting closer to solving your ghosting issues. What camera is it you are using again?
As Trond had suggested, maybe uploading the clip of the birds to dropbox would allow a few of us to try some different things & help you work out what is going on.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:18 AM   #45
Trustee

Hi Bryce:

Will do. I'll post a link here when I have it uploaded. Who knew the worst shot in my entire video entry would become so... famous... infamous?

Thanks for your interest everyone. I sincerely appreciate the help.

Is it okay to say what camera I am using? I didn't want to give a bad rap on a brand that millions enjoy using. Also, the problems most like are in the post processing, but also keep in mind the camera shipped damaged and had to be returned for repair. Straight out of the box, trying to focus on a bird on a wire, the best I could do was get a double image where the wires were about a foot apart. Not a great start to a serious (for me anyway) investment.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge