What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:28 AM   #46
Trustee

Re: What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36

I'm sure everyone here is more than happy to help out however we can Cat.
Would the camera be a JVC brand by any chance? I don't think there is anything wrong with most of the cameras around today, but you do need to know the camera well in order to get the best from it. Maybe there is something that you are missing that will make all the difference.
When you import your footage, how do you go about it? Do you follow a procedure recommended by the camera manufacturer, or simply pull the files off the card, or cameras drive directly to a folder on your computer? There maybe something special needed in how the footage is transferred??
Anyway, glad to help. At least i hope i can be of help!! :)
Bryce
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM   #47
Trustee

And the focussing issue has been fixed for sure?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:34 PM   #48
Major Player

Cat, a very powerful piece of work, with excellent use of the commentary and rhythm, with though provoking images and music.
I liked the use of the timelapses to show the movement of the atmosphere, and the use graphics and music to provide tension.
Super!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:36 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Cat,

I shoot birds all the time as you know. Ghosting is always a problem. I have seen it in progressive and interlaced.
If your program has a place to turn off the resampling that will often solve the problem.

Even with interlaced I do that and I lower the play rate to 75% and I get clear proper wing beats.

It is also better to shoot at a slower shutter speed. I shoot 60 to 120 max for ariel footage.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:15 PM   #50
Trustee

Hi everyone --

A bit of catching up to do!

First, a bit more trial and I've seemed to hit something that works (for now). Digging into the manual I've learned that the camera films in i not p. I've also discovered that if I don't deinterlace on processing, it makes it much worse. Changing the codec again has helped a bit more.

Attachment 1 is the H264 version I thought did the trick at first but although vastly improved from my original version it still ghosts slightly.

Attachment 2 is an MP4 codec which seems to work.

Why this is I have no idea. The settings for both codecs are the same. I'm still uploading the raw TOD file to drop box (2 hours more), but I'm happy to cut it if you think I'm on the right track.

Now specifically:

Bryce: yes, you're right on every point. My camera is a JVC, and knowing my camera well is a big factor here. Digging up the manual has reminded me that there are manual settings I had forgotten to look into and will make a point to get more familiar with them before next challenge. Thanks for all the suggestions and willing to help in this!

Kevin: I think the focusing issues have been fixed. I use auto and manual focus interchangeably all the time and in some cases, I'm not overly thrilled with what I've been able to do in manual mode where no matter what I do it just doesn't seem to hone in. The camera? Maybe. Most likely it's me though. Not completely sure!

Paul: Thanks for the fun comments and I'm very glad you liked it!

Dale: I know all too well you shoot birds and a master you are at it. Thanks so much for weighing in your thoughts and I will look into and try out everything you suggest. I have no idea if I can turn off resampling but I'll try and find out. Perhaps inherently this was the difference between the H264 and MP4 codecs in post processing that made the difference? Thanks also for the shutter speed tip in how you shoot birds in the air. I have a lot to work on between now and next February!

Thanks you guys! I had no idea joining in on the UWOL forum would have such instrumental consequences! I feel so honored!
Attached Thumbnails
What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36-pigeonsh264.jpg   What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36-pigeonsmp4.jpg  

Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:21 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Seems like you have got some good help already. :)
Uwol and dvinfo community is great!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:25 PM   #52
Trustee

Hi Trond:

You're right. I'll cut the upload to dropbox, then.

Cheers!
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:26 PM   #53
Trustee

Wow Cat,
That's a vast improvement! How does the video look now? Is it smooth when the birds fly by?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:40 PM   #54
Trustee

Hey Bryce:

I think it looks just fine and I will upload a revised version after the voting so you can see for yourself :)

Here's a the same frame as above, but from the version that's currently in my video. I'm not proud of that!
Attached Thumbnails
What is it? by Cat Russell - UWOL 36-pigeonsfogoriginal.jpg  
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM   #55
Trustee

Cat, I will probable be driving out there this summer (now that I am retired I don't have to fly). Every time I drive there I do all back roads, and always a different route. I turn each trip into an adventure, hitting NWR's and State Parks all along the way. And of course shooting video. I will let you know when, it is usually around the 4th of July. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:52 PM   #56
Trustee

Nice Bob:

Looking forward to connecting up. Really excited, actually! It sounds like a wonderful way to do things, but... RMNP on July 4? Us and 3 million other people looking at one deer? ;-)

Until then, let's work on Kevin and see if he can join us then and make it 3 million and 3. :)
Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:50 PM   #57
Trustee

That's great Cat,
Have you done the same for all the footage? Just wondering if it all looks that much better.
Old December 4th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #58
Major Player

Cat it looks like you're getting you problems sorted out which is good. Have you ever run mediainfo on your clip to see what the properties are?

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 04:18 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Huge differences between the original and the new version! Great improvements.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #60
Trustee

Sorry that we kind of hijacked your feedback thread Cat but this is a perfect example why our UWOL challenge and this forum are not only still relevant but essential.

I've seen so many forums where people are afraid to ask questions because they feel stupid or the response will be RTFM! that they eventually stop visiting and in the end stop learning and growing.

We are a welcome oasis in the desert of selfishness and indifference.

Let's keep the momentum going for February!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge