UWOL #36 "Harness the Wind" by Bob Safay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old December 1st, 2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #36 "Harness the Wind" by Bob Safay

Well, I started going one way and ended up going this way. All video shot with the Canon XF300, edited on Sony Vegas 12 pro. The two clips at the end, the one of the old windmill, and the one of the wind turbines were shot in west Texas in July of 2014. Good criticism is aways a learning experience.
Music, Windswept by Kevin MacCloud, Royalty Free Music.

Enjoy. Bob

Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL #36 "Harness the Wind" by Bob Safay

Hi Bob:

Lovely! So what is it about this that pushes my "tear up" button? LOL, maybe it's a girl thing, but I think it might be everything working together in this composition to bring up that kind of emotion. That's not easy to do! Well done.

This was beautifully filmed and captured, the music is perfect at setting a nostalgic mood and your voice caps it all very well. Nice night scene at the end.

It all tied up nicely but somehow the end came when I didn't want it to. It was a clever idea to step through the different ways we have harnessed the wind for our needs. Perhaps another 30 seconds or so would have rounded out the concept a bit more? I don't know? Just brainstorming, that's all. It's a beautiful piece Bob!
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Trustee

It's his beautiful voice Cat!
Bob has one of the nicest voices i've heard i think. Can't say i tear up at the sound of it, but it sure is nice to listen to! :)
Seriously though Bob, what a lovely video. I really like how you took such a small aspect of what weather could be, & made a whole short film on it that was captivating to watch.
The bike art type of windmills were fantastic! I've never seen anything like them before. Whoever the artist is, they are very talented.
Not sure i have anything to constructive to add to this to be honest. Great composition in your shots, great story, beautiful VO. Pictures are all lovely to look at.
If there is anything i can add later, i will do so. Otherwise, congratulations on a fine piece!
Regards,
Bryce
Old December 1st, 2015, 09:09 PM   #4
Trustee

"The Voice" is back!!!

Is it a coincidence that the only challenge I've ever won had you doing the narration? I think not! :)

This is classic Safay magic!

One thing I have always loved about your films and so glad you have kept this is that you ask things of your audience. "Listen as it builds in intensity. Listen how it's showing off it's power". Your voice is the tour guide on this journey.

Your pacing is impeccable. Never rushed but containing everything we need.

I love the Safay style and you don't disappoint in this film.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Major Player

I can't remember seeing a Safay film before, but I am sure I haven't because it was that memorable. The VO is just superlative. Paced and even-toned it draws the viewer in with the film to create a tranquil and peaceful world of its own.

A bit of stray wind noise during the shot of the wind turbines was the only thing I would change.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Bob I still remember the first time I heard your voice way back in the early UWOL days and I have to agree it is one of the best I've heard. Interesting way you went about this and I really enjoyed it. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Trustee

Well thank you all for such kind words. I had a lot of fun with this and fortunately for me I decided to go to Naples Florida for thanksgiving and was able to get the shots of the wind surfers. Cat, I can't believe I made you teary. Your work always made me happy. Next time I am in Colorado it would be nice to hook up.

Bryce, thank you. I am fortunate to live around the corner from the Atlanta Beltway. It is a 24 mile walking/bike trail through the city of Atlanta. There are dozens of pieces of artwork along the trail. The two I videoed are part of a set of four that was donated by the Atlanta Bike Association.

Kevin, isn't it a coincidence that the only challenge I ever won was your magnificent video of the river that I had the privilege of narrating. I never liked my voice. I grow up in Brooklyn New York back in the 50's and 60's and it took a long time to loose that Brooklyn accent. I watched your video but haven't posted comments yet, but all I can say for now is WOW how did you get that wolf to howl on queue???

Tim, thank you for your comment about the wind and my VO. It is interesting that I usually never use a script. I watch the video with the music until I just know what to say.

Again, thank you all and I am going through each entry and will comment on all of the. Bob
Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Bob,
so gentle, so nice, so clearly presented!!!!

I really enjoyed the film and I loved the smooth easy pace, couldn't have been much better.

In the power wind mill scene I may have cut out the original audio track and just gone with the music as the rumble was a tad intrusive on the peacefullness of that scene.
I loved the beautiful city shot.

Great job to say the least.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Bob,

All the videos i have seen, i am very sure i am never gonna forget the opening shot of your video, such a interesting choice there, The video goes at a nice pace and the voice over guides it along nicely.

i like the video over all
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Major Player

Bob, A nice gentle film, showing well our efforts to harness the wind. I though it was a great idea, and very well executed - the VO and pacing really added value - it would have been nice to see some older, more historical ideas coming in - I loved the shot of the wind powered well - very well done!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Double post
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 03:47 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Bob,

Not sure what I can add to the already great feedback you got. I agree with them. This was really good!
You have a very nice way to tell your stories, all backed up by strong images and a great choice of music.

I see we both use the same camera. :)

One detail: After the crisp bright colors of the leaves in the previous shot, the shot of the grass at 0:35 looked a bit tame. How about maybe increasing the saturation a little bit in this shot?

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #13
Trustee

Trond, thanks for the comment on saturating the color on the grass. I will give it a try. I have had the XF300 for three years and love the quality of the video and the color that it gives me. Thanks for taking over UWOL. Bob
Old December 5th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #14
Trustee

Hi Bob.

When it comes to the theme, I think you has one of the best approaches.
You are spot on and your voice takes us in to the story that nobody else can do.
Still, the voice is not enough on it's own in this game, and you do not disappoint us.
In all its simplicity you show us how we humans have harnessed the wind and adopted it.
Both beneficial and for fun.
Though I think your film has a great and smooth pace to it, I think of the end as a bit too sudden.
Just 2 or 3 sec more would do.
Thank you for sharing your film.
Cheers!
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:12 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Bob
I liked the way this just explored a simple idea, giving it a chance to find the different ways we use or experience wind.

It would have been nice to see a little of what we harness the wind for to tie in with what is said, as in water being pumped by the windmill (probably harder as this was previous footage), or maybe something to do with electricity usage. I still think it works well without the focus on humans and urban environments - just some thoughts I had watching it.

Definitely an enjoyable film as others have noted. And some nice artwork displayed.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge