UWOL 37: The Little Book of Why by Cat Russell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 1st, 2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL 37: The Little Book of Why by Cat Russell

Hi everyone:

I thought the theme this round was very challenging to say the least! I'm sorry we have fed sharks this time, but I can understand this. This theme, "why", took some real think time and if you had a very busy schedule, it just wasn't the kind of thing you could tackle and pull of in the final hours.

So, feeling a bit on shaky ground, here's my entry. Rip away everyone :)

And all you dads out there, this one's for you!

Looking forward to watching the entries!

Cheers...

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; March 1st, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 37: The Little Book of Why by Cat Russell

Hi Cat,

This is just one awesome entry.

My grandchildren are now past the "why" stage. In this computer age, more at the stage of "why don't you do it that way grandad!, but I can relate to it when my children and grand children were younger.

Your film is well thought out and with a good balance of animation and film, in a style that reminds me of American feel good children's programs we had over here in the 70's and 80's. There is nothing I can say or add that would in any way technically improve your entry.

Well done

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 07:05 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree, again, with Mick - a wonderful story, which also reminded me of time with my kids!

I can think of a couple of things which would have improved it for me, and added to the overall feeing of the storybook (which I think is great!) - maybe an excuse to get you to the cutaways (šand even spied a bobcatš) - perhaps a cut back to a page of the book, and some consistency with the cutaways (oval, then circle).

You could also use this excuse to get you to the full page graphics at 1.23 and especially the report card at 2.18 - this one I found jarring me more out of the story - perhaps a cutaway of father Ben sitting in a rocking chair with a book in his hand, where you pull to the graphic on the page, and again later - but hey - Im sure you could come up with these ideas yourself.

Isn't it great to be a able to comment after the event!!
It is a very well executed piece, and though provoking - certainly one I would show to my grandchildren if I had any!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Mick: I'm glad you liked this and just got caught up with the flow and let it roll :)

Hi Paul: What a great idea! I'm not sure I could pull off pulling back to "Father Ben" reading in a chair, and theoretically, he's in the story at the moment and not a bystander :). But I like your idea about page turns to introduce something other than film, like the report card. When I get a chance, I'll work up a segment and see if it works. The narration goes lightning fast am I'm not sure I can do it and make it flow, but it's a great suggestion and worth a try. Stay tuned... :) thanks!

Cat
Old March 3rd, 2016, 07:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Paul:

Here's a little test clip (26 sec) addressing your comment. Is this what you were thinking? It could help the "jarring" you described whenever there is a transition from film to animation. It does tie into the book more as well. However, I don't think the original way it is, is too bad. Your feedback is always welcome. Thanks for the watch and the input.

Cheers!
Cat

Old March 4th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Cat,

Its getting there - as I said, there was nothing wrong with the original, but there are always different ways of approaching the same idea - I'll see if I can work something up over the weekend.
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Wow Cat, you certainly have a unique concept and take on this theme! :)

The graphics and animations for your little book are beautifully done and together with your opening line “Gather around for a short story called the ‘Little Book of Why’”, they immediately establish the scene for a children’s story.

Where I am having some difficulty with this film, is in reconciling the idea of ‘children’s story’ with the level of language used and the lofty concepts that are difficult for children to understand - phrases like ‘esoteric question’, ‘suns' radiational heat’; concepts like ‘water-barren river bed’ - even ‘what came first – the chicken or the egg and why?’

Most young children, especially one of three years, cannot rationalize things like us and will more often ask questions about things that are relevant to them or prove to be a difficulty for them like, “Why can’t we cross the river?” rather than “ ... why is the water frozen out there and melted at our feet?” Hope this make sense.

The music enhanced my enjoyment of this story and I think the ending was very well done.

I like Paul’s suggestion about cutting back to the story book every now and then. Never thought of that.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi Marj:

Thanks for the feedback! And yes, I agree with you 100% the concepts in the storybook were way over the head of a very young child. It was intended this way. For really, the film is intended for all of us at UWOL and of course parents (dads) raising their children.

There are many animations today that are just as entertaining for adults as for kids, where the kids will enjoy the animation on one level but adults enjoy the animation on an entirely different level that their children won't grasp. Belle drives the story, but it actually is about her dad and how messy it gets trying to raise a young human being into the world. And of course, the honesty in children's questions give us adults an opportunity to really reflect on esoteric realities that we might have just taken for granted we know the answers to when we might not.

I know you have a granddaughter and so you have seen animations intended strictly for her young mind (or when she was young) and these animations can be exceptionally boring to us adults. This entry had no intention of being a true children's film. It was intended to raise "why" questions that go deeper than scientific fact that are proven logically, but with a sense of humor and wit. Father Ben starts out answering Belle's question perfectly because they can be scientifically answered, but doesn't fare so well when the berage of questions aren't readily answered that way. There is no scientific explanation for which came first, the chicken or the egg and thus, uncomfortably for some, the question pushes the discussion from the realm of scientific fact to the realm of faith and what you believe.

Thanks for the watch, Marj! Cheers!
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Catherine,

Finally I have some time to watch the uwol entries, starting with yours.

I am impressed! Makes me remember the days of youth, being a kid and asking all kind of questions... following up with "why is that, why is this, why that...."

Don't have much to add about the technical. Paul and Marj has commented that already.

Well done! I'll definitely show this one to my young nieces!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi Trond:

Thanks for the kind words! Your nieces can each have a signed copy of "the little book of why"... ha! ;-).

Have a great weekend, you've been busy this week!

Cat
Old March 5th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Very well done! I enjoyed watching it very much.
LeRoy Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #12
Major Player

I have made a rough copy - but I'd like to add a couple of things more meanwhile -

Old March 6th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Paul:

Oooh, cool I like it! And I'm very impressed you were able to come up with that from my own video.

Thanks for the hard effort, coming alongside and giving creative insight as to how I could make my little book better.

Cheers Paul!
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:46 AM   #14
Trustee

Cat, WHY? Why aren't you doing a series of children's videos that will introduce them to Nature? WHY arn't you? We all know you have the talent and imagination. Great job. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #15
Trustee

Hi Bob!

Nice to have you back in the neighborhood! Thanks for the watch. Now to answer your question, it's most likely because I don't know where to look to offer my services. Have any suggestions?

I am looking so forward to our grand adventure together in RMNP in July with Kevin, Meryem et al!

Cheers!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge