UWOL 38 - Theme - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 5th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: UWOL 38 - Theme

I'm with Cat on this one.

I do hope that the results will only be announced after players have been given time to make their comments though - otherwise I think this idea will flop big time.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #17
Major Player

As I was one of the persons who requested the change let me explain. Since we moved away form an independent judge to us all being judges I have found it difficult to understand how a person can judge an entry without being subconsciously influenced by others opinions. As a judge you should mark on what you see and enjoy not on what others may have drawn to your attention, which can happen now. We all have different views and opinions on what is right, wrong, what works and what does not etc. We all learn from advice and critique but, techniques, styles etc change i.e once everything had to be rock steady, now wobbly pov camera work is an excepted art form.

Also, it will stop some getting a little hissy and argumentative when critique or opinion is given that they don't agree with before the judging is completed. This was well demonstrated last round by a withdrawal of an entry because the entrant felt they had drawn undue attention to their entry. If this voting system had been in place there would have been no need to withdraw as the judging would have already taken place. The only change is for the first 7 days for judging only, followed by 7 days discussion before the results are announced. That way not matter what said about an entry it will not affect the judging. Hope that makes sense, Mick.

PS I would also like to see for the judging period all entries to remain anonymous, that's another can of worms though!!!!
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #18
Trustee

Oh, I get it! I thought the judging would happen and the winners announced before we put up a feedback thread! Your suggestion makes more sense now. It's worth a try. It will be a bit of a change... I'm used to watching a video and having it fresh in my mind to make comments. This way it will be like needing to watch entries twice, once for voting and again for feedback....
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 03:14 AM   #19
Major Player

I have been writing down comments on paper, as well as voting points for composition, theme and production value for a few rounds now.

Since Mick's original post I don't look at any feedback comments, only the ¨watch them here page. I normally watch all entries full screen and make notes as I go, then refer back if I need to to clarify anything for my voting.

The only downside is that I sometimes need to modify my comments if someone has already made a point.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner View Post
PS I would also like to see for the judging period all entries to remain anonymous, that's another can of worms though!!!!
This will not happen, as players should continue to include their names in the credits of their films.

This round we will test this procedure as mentioned. Judging first, and then feedback afterwards, before the winners is announced, as Mick described in his comment.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge