UWOL 38 - Tales of wonders and woes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL 38 - Tales of wonders and woes

Bring the stories of the making of your films.
What goes well, what did not go as planned, and everything in between.
This is the place to share it.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 38 - Tales of wonders and woes

How's everyone doing? Mighty quiet here this round...
Don't be afraid to share your ups and downs while making your films.
Old April 7th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Major Player

i have a plan :)

just booked travel for a few days, if all goes well it should yield results.

hoping for the best
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Trustee

So good to hear that you have a plan Vishal.
I'm excited to see what you deliver this time.
India is a great country and with many possibilities.
When you say that it also involves a journey, it makes it even more exciting.
Can't wait to see it :)

My plan is to write the script first, which is almost finished.
I will build Uwol38, on some of my previous Uwol project, without comparison in general.
Meanwhile I make recordings for Norwegian television.
Have not had the great luck with me so far, but the deadline is August 2016.
All the best to you all.
Old April 8th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Geir

So happy for you with your TV filming! I'm sure now that spring is in the air activity will pick up and you'll get some fantastic footage and really deliver come August.

My tale of both wonder and woe is that I am humbled yet again with my film processing! I have now discovered that my assumption I was shooting progressive was wrong and deinterlacing my original footage cleans up motion quite a bit. Darn, all these years ;-/. TOD format really is in left field and it takes a lot to bring it to main stream. I have shot on cameras before that take in QuickTime and these issues don't even come up on the radar screen. And searching the manual doesn't mention this at all. Ah well, I'm learning a decent curve here, skills I never would have if I had a camera that did this all for me. Now that I know, I really would like a camera that does all this for me! :)

I have an idea, but is really out there and could flop big time. I've shot for the intro, which I hope will be quite amusing for people, even hilarious. But humor is a very elusive thing and what is funny to some doesn't quite fit the bill for others. Then last night I happened to see the most fabulous documentary on 5 National Parks in Colorado and it was so amazing it made me think of scrapping what I am initially setting out to do and try to put up something inspiring and serious instead of silly, creative and funny. Thanks for allowing me into the community and being a part of the creative process! Like Trond says, it can even be fun! :)

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Major Player

At this moment in time I am on holiday with my wife and dogs touring in our caravan, I think that might count as recreation! Now do I dare get out the camera lol
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post

My tale of both wonder and woe is that I am humbled yet again with my film processing! I have now discovered that my assumption I was shooting progressive was wrong and deinterlacing my original footage cleans up motion quite a bit. Darn, all these years ;-/. TOD format really is in left field and it takes a lot to bring it to main stream. I have shot on cameras before that take in QuickTime and these issues don't even come up on the radar screen. And searching the manual doesn't mention this at all. Ah well, I'm learning a decent curve here, skills I never would have if I had a camera that did this all for me. Now that I know, I really would like a camera that does all this for me! :)

I have an idea, but is really out there and could flop big time. I've shot for the intro, which I hope will be quite amusing for people, even hilarious. But humor is a very elusive thing and what is funny to some doesn't quite fit the bill for others.
Cat
Nevertheless Catherine, so good that you discovered it.
My experience is that the manuals may be deficient when it comes to settings and user tips.
I agree with you, jokes are very individually how we react to.
Still, I'm sure you will come up with a great story in the end. You always do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner View Post
At this moment in time I am on holiday with my wife and dogs touring in our caravan, I think that might count as recreation! Now do I dare get out the camera lol
Hi Mick.
Going on the caravan trip sounds very relaxing.
Hope you are feeling lucky and catches something nice in the viewfinder :)

Forgot to mention in my last post that I got myself a new camera, which is now being tested.
It is the Sony PXW-FS5.
Have not got it tested properly yet, but it seems reasonably good.
Among other things, I made slow motion footage of waves, and it is totally awesome.
And so this round my footage will be a mix from my Canon 5DM3 camera and my new Sony PXW-FS5.

Some others who have stories to tell out there?
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Nice

Mick,
Why not make film on your trip itself can work too.

Geir Inge,
Congrats on the New Cam, its a nice piece of equipment with a small form factor and a great punch when it comes to quality . The slow motion might be a special addition to your films now as it does manage pretty decent slow mo.

I am as usual have a script in my mind and now trying to make sure i achieve the stuff i planned to. Its good to be back on UWOL making film with a break of one round. i am not sure i am even aiming at a 4 minute film this time might be smaller.
Lets see where we land up.
Old April 11th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #9
Trustee

I am really looking forward to this challenge. In a couple of days I will be leaving for the Great Okefenokee Swamp in southern Georgia. I will spend 4 days there and hope to get some good video of birds, alligators and other swamp critters. after that who knows.

Geir, I am going to be curious about how you like the Sony FS5, I have been looking at that myself.

Cat, the Rockies are open to you, go for it.

Mick, a travelogue of your trip would be fun.

Vishal, maybe get some shots of tigers!!
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 08:05 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi Bob, nice advice, I'll take it. Have great trip. Perhaps a little recreational alligator wrestling will show up in your entry this round? Wild Kingdom style? ;-)

Hi Geir, I don't seem to be pulling a story out of this one like I have managed before!
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Its like mid month and not a single frame clicked :) , should i be worried yet not sure
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #12
Inner Circle

You and me both, Vishal. Haven't had time to do anything yet. Hopefully I will get a chance to make anything this weekend.
Old April 15th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav View Post
Its like mid month and not a single frame clicked :) , should i be worried yet not sure
I am pretty much in the same boat Vishal although I did get a couple of shots at the beginning of the month that have inspired my story. I will be looking for my subjects next week once I get past this weekend and the birthday bash we've been organizing.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #14
Trustee

Just thought I'd say something about my new camera, Sony PXW-FS5.
Especially to you Mick and you Bob, both of which have shown interest in this camera.

The camera has some features that come in handy, among other six buttons that can all can be assigned different functions. This provides instant access to the function.
The lens that comes with the camera SELP18105G, is not of the best but decent enough.
(Focal Length: 18-105 mm - 35mm equivalent focal length (APS-C) (mm): 27 to 157.5).

With an adapter (E-mount) one can use lenses from different manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, etc.). I have some Canon lenses and all acts, but not necessarily the auto zoom and focus functions. This one should be aware of if you are buying new lenses, therefore choose one where all the functions work via the adapter.
I suggest full frame lenses.
A key feature that is exciting, is immediately accessible 2x magnification, recordable.
The camera is lightweight and easy to handle, although some buttons may seem silly / cumbersome placed.
Although I have some Canon lenses, I'm going to order me a new full frame 300 or 400 mm zoom lens.

One can also buy A-mount adapter, so the camera is very adaptable.
There is a sea of lenses you can buy if you have enough money, haha.
I think the quality of the pictures are good, but this also depends on the lens you use.
Cheap lenses offer (in my opinion) often a little fuzzier image than the more expensive lenses.
The camera has two cardholders, the advantage is that this does not cost the shirt, but you can use less expensive cards.
Batteries have long user time, up to 6 hours. I have yet to replace the battery during a day out on missions.
1 piece BP-U30 battery supplied, in addition, I bought 2 pieces BP-U60 battery.
This is more than enough for my consumption.
The camera has a slow motion / quick motion function, which is super cool.
Recordings I made of waves, running water, birds in flight are incredibly tough and cool.
Surely the boy in me being fascinated by such things, haha.

This post must be considered my personal opinion and not as a review of the camera.
Yet I must say that I do not regret the purchase, on the contrary I have become very fond of it in such a short time.
If you have questions, simply send a message and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

My Uwol 38 project has been somewhat quiet in the recent days, who would think that with new camera in your luggage, but I have been somewhat preoccupied with other things?
Nevertheless, the following Tuesday, I travel a weeklong trip to Albir in Spain, together with my wife. Regardless, it will make both body and soul well with a week under the Spanish sun.

I wish you all all good and looking forward to hearing from you.

PS
As often before, is also this post penned by google translator.
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #15
Trustee

Okay, here's a tale of woe for you all...

My love/hate relationship with this very old, lacking, "doing it's very best but always falling short" camera has finally died.

Anyone around here know a lamentful-Dirge we can all sing as I lay it to it's final resting place? HA!

The battery charger on the camera can't charge a battery, so unless I'm able to string extension cords everywhere I go, it is unusable.

Well! This puts a on a new twist to my entry :) Part of me is absolutely rejoicing because now I have no excuse but to look for a new camera.... yay!!!! The snag is affording one is a different story.

As far as my entry, I'm putting a new twist on things and it has been the most laborious, time-consuming piece of work yet, ..... all for the theme "recreation" Ha, go figure! But I'm not certain about this effort seeming as I don't have a camera to finish it off.

Cheers all! Setbacks are always a great new opportunity!

Hey Trond and Geir:

My husband and I landed a fantastic "first-season" new series on Netflix called "Occupied" about a fictional/futuristic Russian occupation of Norway who was announcing to go full green energy and share it's technology with the world, only to be taken over by the Russians supported by the EU to force it to go full production in its oil. Have you seen this? Fantastic plot and acting. I just have to get used to sub titles, which comes pretty quickly when you get absorbed in it all. Just was wondering if you guys of seen this?
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge