DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 40- Postcard Collection by Mike Sims (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/532986-uwol-40-postcard-collection-mike-sims.html)

Mike Sims November 1st, 2016 09:37 PM

UWOL 40- Postcard Collection by Mike Sims

1 Attachment(s)
No plot. No story. No narration of any kind. Nothing new here. Boring. I first animated a book for the UWOL Longform. It was pretty crude by comparison. This was mostly an exercise in planning and completing a Challenge video- something I hadn’t been able to do much lately. It was also good to brush up on the animation. I was unable to get some clips I had intended and ended up using placeholder footage instead. It was all either stuff I had previously showed you or which was shot for earlier Challenges I was unable to complete. Trond can judge admissibility. All of the postcards were real postcards with the exceptions of the ones I made for transitions. Please leave feedback at any level- it all helps. Here is one last postcard for you. What is it? Lost mail? Program guide? Script?

Trond Saetre November 3rd, 2016 02:57 AM

Re: UWOL 40- Postcard Collection by Mike Sims

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1923068)
It was all either stuff I had previously showed you or which was shot for earlier Challenges I was unable to complete. Trond can judge admissibility.

Mike, I've sent you a mail.

Mike Sims November 3rd, 2016 01:19 PM

Sorry, I didn't get it. Please send again to the address you sent the upload info. Messages directly through dvinfo never reach me for some reason.

Mike Sims November 3rd, 2016 02:58 PM

Thanks, I got the second message and just sent you a reply.

Trond Saetre November 3rd, 2016 03:00 PM

Got it. And your film is approved.

Rob Cantwell November 4th, 2016 09:04 AM

Loved the animation, I wanted to do something animated for my entry but I'm just not knowledgeable enough.
The theme was there although no story but the images were terrific, North America has such a diverse assortment of wildlife compared to here in Ireland.
Have to say i'm not a big fan of jazz! so that was one part i wasn't keen on, however overall really liked it.

Nice one

Rob

Trond Saetre November 5th, 2016 04:26 AM

Hi Mike,

You really have brushed up your animating skills, that's for sure! Was cool to see.
I disagree that there is no story in here. The way I see it, every animal had it's own story about what it was doing. It was nice to see such a variety in the wildlife you have there.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed watching your film.

Gordon Hoffman November 5th, 2016 06:33 AM

Mike I have to agree the animation was pretty good with some nice footage.

Gordon

Lorinda Norton November 9th, 2016 10:45 PM

Footage shot earlier or not, I sure enjoyed watching each postcard, Mike! The bear, beautiful howling coyote, and mountain lion footage made my jaw drop; how thrilling to see them, let alone capture them on video. Thinking I remember the spider footage--seems like you called it a drop door spider. (?) It was hardly boring, on the contrary, it was great seeing video postcards of your work again.

Dale Guthormsen December 7th, 2016 10:24 AM

Mike,

have n't been here for a coons age, something I intend to change.

Thought Id seen the footage before, but that aside you did a brillant job putting this together.

I always liked your work and this is no exception.
what did you use to make the book graphics?

totally enjoyed it all but my favorite footage is the bear!!!!

hope to see more in the future.