First-ever "Under Water, Over Land" Video Shoot-out - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Closed Thread

Old December 18th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #121
Trustee

So, does that mean you're offering to capture them all and upload them for viewing? :)

I know I don't want to have to set up a VCR and capture a VHS tape on digital and then capture that and then compress it and then upload it.

Heck, I won't even dump my own stuff TO a VHS tape let alone go the other way with it. :)
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #122
Wrangler

steve, the reason that most film fests offer the option of mailing in hard copies is that these artifacts mirror the final delivery form. our final delivery form is the web, not an audience sitting together in a dark room. transcoding and uploading DVDs and VHS tapes is potentially a mountain of work.

we're working to make this as user-friendly and simple as possible, to wade our way through the layers of competing platforms and codecs, so that as many players as possible can compete and as many viewers as possible can view.

if you need help figuring out delivery, we can probably give you some assistance when the time comes. i would love to see some of your work and hope you can sign up for one of these.
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #123
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback
So, does that mean you're offering to capture them all and upload them for viewing? ------Heck, I won't even dump my own stuff TO a VHS tape let alone go the other way with it. :)
You thought I was serious! I knew that no one else would go for it and I certainly wouldn't even joke about using VHS. I have too many painful memories of seeing my best work reduced to that format (and shown on a 15-year old TV with only an RF input).
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #124
Wrangler

you nut! so you're serious about bigfoot sightings and the mysterious disappearing women but not serious about VHS....you folks from oregon spend waaay too much time in the treetops....
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
you nut! so you're serious about bigfoot sightings and the mysterious disappearing women but not serious about VHS....you folks from oregon spend waaay too much time in the treetops....
That we do Meryem! That we do! lol!

~Gabriel
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #126
Inner Circle

Just out my most recent experience with DVC7, on the PC side, I got great results using Vegas 7 and rendering to the Quicktime presets. I did two Quicktime files, one low, and one high. I also did two Windows Media files low and high, and all came out well from the Vegas preset renders.
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #127
Trustee

Quote:
LOL, this could be a future topic in the UWOL-challenge: The treetop people!
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #128
Wrangler

that would be fun, for a lark, "local mythological beasts"--i can't think of any in colorado, but new mexico is loaded with them. aliens, chupacabra, etc.

or how about one on local extinct species. we may not get any actual footage, but the stories of trying to locate them would probably be quite interesting.

around here, the abert's squirrel, a black squirrel with pointy spock ears, which i saw commonly throughout the 1980s, all but disappeared as a result of plague, according to local rangers. but about two years ago, i started seeing them again, and now there's a little population explosion happening.
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #129
Wrangler

Progress Update!

omigosh!

mat thompson rocks! he has designed us a fabulous logo for the UWOL Challenge!

you WILL want a t-shirt! (no, they're not available yet. we need to run one of these first....)

kevin and mat are knocking out a website where we will upload our videos, and if the logo is any indicator, it's gonna be great. huge props to both those guys....

the sign-up thread is going up this friday, giving everyone a little extra time to get on board because of the holidays.

January 1 the theme will be announced and the contest kicks off.

start warming up those cameras and booking those travel arrangements....
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:30 AM   #130
New Boot

I think this is a good idea. I'm relatively new to underwater video but hope to meet like minded idiots who don't mind freezing their butts off to get some good footage (grin) and learn from them.

Steve

PS: Wreck diving in the UK is definately freezing.

www.youtube.com/divetheworld
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:34 AM   #131
New Boot

Quote:
that would be fun, for a lark, "local mythological beasts"--i can't think of any in colorado, but new mexico is loaded with them. aliens, chupacabra, etc.

or how about one on local extinct species. we may not get any actual footage, but the stories of trying to locate them would probably be quite interesting.

around here, the abert's squirrel, a black squirrel with pointy spock ears, which i saw commonly throughout the 1980s, all but disappeared as a result of plague, according to local rangers. but about two years ago, i started seeing them again, and now there's a little population explosion happening.
I was wondering when aliens were going to get in here. (grin)

Steve

Old December 21st, 2006, 05:38 AM   #132
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
How about we just stick to artistic filmmaking.

:)
I totally agree. So many forums and threads get hijacked by people with an axe to grind that it's difficult to find the good info. I'm just starting to do my own editing and got myself a CoreDuo iMac 20 with Final Cut Studion and it's added completely new scope to my video shooting.

Old December 21st, 2006, 05:43 AM   #133
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
If I recall, DSE is a skydiver, and will likely wrap up the over land aspects pretty well......is he Scuba certified too ?
I'm a SCUBA diver and just venturing into "creative" video....... I Hope...... (eeek)

Steve

Old December 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM   #134
Wrangler

welcome, steve. i checked out your youtube stuff. very cool.

had any kraken sightings lately? heh.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM   #135
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carmichael-Timson
I'm a SCUBA diver and just venturing into "creative" video....... I Hope...... (eeek)

Steve
I think there is a "slash" thats backward in your uTube URL :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge