DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#1 "Underneath The Living Sky" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/84581-uwol-1-underneath-living-sky-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge January 23rd, 2007 02:08 AM

UWOL#1 "Underneath The Living Sky" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Here is my video in this UWOL-contest so you're welcome to make your comments.
Shot with my Canon XL H1 camera, my first "real" movie with the XLH1.
It's from my neighbourhood and I manage to shoot these scenes in between rain and stormy weather :-) The tripod in the wood was the hardest part to make, not easy to manoeuvre around in the woods with a camera and a tripod.
I just want to show that it can be a blessing and good for our souls, walking alone in the wood, looking at the little birds.
get some rest from our daily stress.
My plan A, was to film on a neighbour island where there is thousands of seabirds, but the weather conditions...
So I had to use my plan B, videoing my own neighbourhood, and in the woods near by.

Camera: Canon XL H1 20 stock lince
Edited in Avid Liquid Pro
Music: Sonicfire
Voiceover: it's me with a little Norwegian accent :-)
Text: Title Deko Pro

As it is in the challenge, Quicktime: Underneath

Here's a bigger version, Mediaplayer (640x480): Underneath

Meryem Ersoz January 23rd, 2007 08:15 AM

you guys get up awfully early! geir, add a direct link to your video in your feedback thread. it will help your viewers...

Rick A. Phillips January 23rd, 2007 09:11 AM

Some beautiful landscape Geir, even in winter rains. Nice to get look at some feeder birds from another part of the world. Well done.

Rick

Ruth Happel January 23rd, 2007 11:38 AM

I like the feel the video gives as if the viewer is on the hike with you. It made me feel I was really in the woods watching all those birds- very evocative. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth

Per Johan Naesje January 23rd, 2007 02:18 PM

Hei Geir Inge,
I've already given you my comments, nice video which in a fine way show the life in the woods in wintertime in our country.

Geir Inge January 23rd, 2007 05:02 PM

Thank you for responding Per Johan, Ruth and Rick :)
Well it's overwhelming how many good videos there are in this challenge,
which we can share with eachother, and for my sake; learn something :)
For instance, I tried out a trick hanging my camera in a rope between to trees, but it got all too shaky, so I had to refuse it :)
But I haven't given up on that trick yet, just have to find a way to get rid of that "dingeling" when I try to move my camera along the rope.

Gabriel Yeager January 23rd, 2007 05:37 PM

why, I think you just made top five from me!

Beautiful footage Geir! Norway looks like such a lovely place... I sure hope I can go there some day.

Wonderful job editing, Nice camera work, nice little story going on. Great job!
I would like to see more of your work.

Two thumbs up! Happy Video'ing!
~Gabriel

Kevin Railsback January 23rd, 2007 06:19 PM

Geir,

Nice to have you living under the same sky! :)

Beautiful work. I was getting dizzy during the end credits. :)

Gorgeous country you live in. I'd like to visit it someday.

Your narration brought me into the film and I felt like we were old friends sitting by the fire chatting.

Thanks for sharing your neck of the woods!

Cody Lucido January 23rd, 2007 08:04 PM

I was very impressed with your video. I think you also have a future as an on camera personality.

Well edited and inviting. I would really like to see a less compressed version someday.

Trond Saetre January 24th, 2007 04:25 AM

Well done Geir Inge!

I like that you added voice over, and made a great story out if it.

Geir Inge January 24th, 2007 06:06 AM

Takk skal du ha/thank you - Trond :)

Not as an excuse, but I had a few "local" challenges to overcome.
Bad weather and a new camera, så I had one and a half day - without rain and storm to shoot my scenes.
I take this UWOL-contest as an opportunity to learn and develope myself as a videomaker. The other competers are all very good in what they are doing and a fine "clique" to hang out with :)
This forum is one of the best and has a "good touch" on keeping it objective, to me thats important. I also want to give my regards and a "big hug" to Meryem and her staff, putting it all together. We, the competers, are just doing the fun part, and thats not so bad - at all :)

PS
I reckon, as you're living in Bergen, your familiar with a little bit of rain ;)

Trond Saetre January 24th, 2007 06:13 AM

Geir Inge, yeah I am from Bergen and spend a lot of time there, but right now I live in Haugesund due to my job.
We got our share of rain, that's true.
But you know... there is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
(maybe the cameras don't agree to that one)

Hope I will have time to join the UWOL challenge nr 2.

Meryem Ersoz January 24th, 2007 09:15 AM

aw, geir, here's a big hug back atcha...one of the most rewarding aspects of the UWOL Challenge has been watching our UWOLers develop stronger ties in our outdoors-shooting community. i never knew that i had so many beloved friends in norway!

and nunavut, and alberta, and iowa! i love the international aspect of this thing we're creating....it's so great to see all these landscapes in one contest.

Gordon Hoffman January 24th, 2007 09:28 AM

Geir I find it neat to see different parts of the world that I know I'll never get to see other wise. Well done. Keep it up/.
Gordon Hoffman
PS Good to hear you got some snow!

Randall Allen January 24th, 2007 07:34 PM

Geir:

Thanks for taking us on a walk through your own peaceful woods. I really enjoyed it.

Randy