DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #1: "Clear Skies" by Ruth Happel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/84601-uwol-1-clear-skies-ruth-happel.html)

Ruth Happel January 23rd, 2007 10:10 AM

UWOL #1: "Clear Skies" by Ruth Happel

As Meryem suggested, I am creating a thread for feedback on my video. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Here is a link to it, as set up on uwolchallenge.com-

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...ClearSkies.mov

This contest was really a great inspiration for me. I have been shooting video for years, but this is the first time I actually used an NLE to put together clips to make a film. I found the process challenging but a lot of fun- I guess that is why this is called a challenge! This gave me the nudge I needed to help me start learning a lot of new skills, and actually doing something with all my footage.

I shot this with my latest camera, the Panasonic PV-GS500, and recorded the audio with the Zoom H4. I edited using Vegas 7 which I had as a free trial download, and have now decided to buy. It opened up a whole new world of creative possibilities.

Thanks again for putting in all the time and effort to develop uwol.com and the challenge. I found this forum and challenge within a few days of finding this site, and so far dvinfo.net has really helped inspire me to learn all aspects of video. Thanks so much!

Ruth

Rick A. Phillips January 23rd, 2007 10:35 AM

Ruth,

I enjoyed your entry very much. I thought it was very clever. Where do you people come up with all these ideas? I had a smile on my face the whole time I was watching this. Thanks.

Rick

Meryem Ersoz January 23rd, 2007 10:41 AM

i can't comment on quality of entries, as an evaluator, but it sure puts a smile on my face when people mention how much they learn along the way. nothing teaches you how to make a video like completing a video. thanks fer playing!

Per Johan Naesje January 23rd, 2007 10:54 AM

Ruth, I like your idea and humor, got a good laugh too :-)
Even though I would have liked more "wildlife-stuff" you did pretty well.
Congratulation with a well done project.

Ruth Happel January 23rd, 2007 11:11 AM

Rick, thanks for the comments. Glad it made you smile.

Per, I appreciate your comments. I consciously chose not to do a traditional wildlife video, though I shot quite a bit more "wildlife-stuff". My background is largely in audio- I have produced quite a few environmental sound recordings, and done sound installations for science museums, nature centers, etc. Although this has helped raise awareness of environmental issues, I have chosen, at least for the moment, to take my video in a more humorous and more directly political direction. Having been a wildlife biologist for many years, I am very concerned with conservation issues, and my ultimate goal is to help raise awareness through my videos.

Any comments or suggestions on how effective this was would be appreciated. I understand this is a polarizing issue, but technical comments with politics aside would be great. Thanks!

Geir Inge January 23rd, 2007 11:51 AM

Congratulation Ruth with a well done project.
I'm sure you had a lot of fun doing it.
I like a sense of humour in a film, and yours made me laugh, so now I'm in a good mood, thank you.
PS
I wonder if I can get my "bushes" to talk too :-)

Brian McKay January 23rd, 2007 02:53 PM

Good Fun

Fantastic imagination...or were those bushes actually talking? Fun to watch and I'm sure it was fun to make.

BTW I love the underlying message.

Brian

Kevin Railsback January 23rd, 2007 07:06 PM

Ruth,
What a fun film!

At first when you panned down and I caught site of something on the bush I was like "What the heck is that?" Then when I figured it out, it broought a smile to my face.

It was a fun film but it still got a good message across.

Loved the outtakes. Reminded me of Toy Story. :)

Ruth Happel January 24th, 2007 10:30 AM

Geir and Brian, thanks for the comments. Yes, all bushes can talk- you just need to have a bush whisperer to bring them out of their normal silence :)

Kevin, thanks for the comments. I'm glad the pan down had the desired effect. It didn't compress well, but I left it in because I wanted to move from the straight narration to the humorous tone in one scene.

Ruth

Gabriel Yeager January 24th, 2007 01:19 PM

hahaha, Very creative idea! I liked the way you panned, it looked nice.

I would say to maybe stay away from the political thing, but that might just be me.

Good footage, funny story, nice job!
~Gabriel

Randall Allen January 24th, 2007 03:50 PM

Ruth:

A great movie all around. I really liked the various voices.

Randy

Cody Lucido January 24th, 2007 04:13 PM

A good message in a funny little film.

It made me chuckle.

Bob Safay January 24th, 2007 05:19 PM

Ruth, I think it was just great. Besides the great camera work it was such a unique way to portray charactors. This concept would be wonderful for doing childrens health education programs. Thanks for shareing. Bob

Steve Siegel January 24th, 2007 07:34 PM

Just what this contest needed. I loved it. You are for sure in my top 5 favorites.
Was that the paper mill in Aberdeen, WA? Nothing on the Lord's green earth could smell as bad as that factory.

Ruth Happel January 24th, 2007 09:18 PM

Randy and Cody- Glad you liked it. It was hard to figure out how to make bushes look funny- they are tough actors to work with!

Ruth