DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #2: "Reborn" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/89765-uwol-2-reborn-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge March 23rd, 2007 06:47 PM

UWOL #2: "Reborn" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Here's my Uwol#2 video.
I've used two poems in the film.
At the beginning my own called "Citylife".
At the end "Spring evening in March" by norwegian poet Inger Hagerup.
The last poem I had to translate to english, and that wasn't easy, because of the differences in our language.
I've been filming in a city called Molde and my hometown village, Larsnes.
I've used my Canon XL H1 camera, but not on the flowers, where I used my Panasonic DVX 100 camera.
Edited on Avid Liquid Pro 7.1
Original sound is mixed with music made in Sonicfire.
Now I leave it up to you, to get something out of it.

Qtime file (mov) 46 MB: Reborn
Big mediaplayer file (wmv) 90 MB: Reborn

James Hooey March 23rd, 2007 07:58 PM

Geir,

Wow! Some really nice scenery where you live! The opening B&W shot is great (didn't need the film effect though). Lots to enjoy in this video from the poetry to the music (nice song) and the sights are very pretty.

I notice three things that made me wonder.

1 - there is a starkly different white balance or light when you are walking the camera handheld over some snowy mounds.

2 - the zoom to the trees...is it to transition to the moss covered rock and trees? As the zoom was happening I was searching the tree line to see what the focus of the zoom was.

3 - how did you get releases for the people/vehicles that appear?

I liked this video a lot!

James Hooey

Bruce Foreman March 23rd, 2007 08:36 PM

Once again I get to enjoy seeing a special visual expression through your eyes.

Both the opening and closing scenes are very powerful visuals, although I share James Hooey's opinion on the "old film" effects not being needed. I don't fully understand the compulsion from many to apply such effects, they mostly look artificial to me. Content is what matters anyway.

Another thing James noticed:

"there is a starkly different white balance or light when you are walking the camera handheld over some snowy mounds."

Am I correct in assuming it was a deliberate move to keep the glow of what looks like morning sunlight color on the snow. It looks uniquely fresh to me and I liked the effect.

And that accordion player looks like you've put a bit more of yourself into this film. If so, I liked the personal touch.

I enjoyed very much what you've shown us here.

Bruce Foreman

Ruth Happel March 23rd, 2007 10:08 PM

I really liked the poems, they provided a nice transition into and out of the video. I also really liked the way you conveyed the noise and hectic pace of the city, contrasted to an almost dreamlike peaceful quality in nature.

I wasn't sure about the focus of the zoom. I was expecting to see some creature close up, so am not sure that the zoom was needed. A simple cut from the wider shot to the closer view might have worked better, but that is a very minor point.

Overall, the video flowed very well, and created a great message. Seeing the spring flowers like primrose made me ready for spring!

Ruth

Geir Inge March 24th, 2007 02:02 AM

I appreciate your feedback, James, Bruce and Ruth:
"the white b", it's early morning and I tried different ways to catch, for me, the right color and sparkle in the snow.
"the zoom", I take the point, but I'm trying to take you to this place in the woods, where my heart is "burning". I used the zoom/disolve because I felt it right and gave a more relaxing touch instead of a straight cut.
"the people", I have permission from the accordion player, he's from Lithuania, and I've got permission from the police filming, you can even see theire car driving by at the beginning.
"old movie style", maybe I should have dropped this one and just used B/W.

thanks

Gabriel Yeager March 25th, 2007 01:51 PM

Nice film Geir. You two Norwegians sure are awesome at filming (I do not mean to be offensive so please do not take it that way)!
It was a great film. I liked it more then your last one, and that one was really good!!
I love the poetry, from me being a poet my self, I love it.
I thought about using a poem in the Uwol #1, but it did not work out.

Nice footage, music, editing, so forth. Two thumbs up!
~Gabriel

Geir Inge March 25th, 2007 02:02 PM

Thanks Gabriel, and I'm not taking it offensive :)
In this forum I think we all can give eachother comments on eachothers video, thats a part of the game, and then again we can learn from eachother.
Well, I had two films and chose this one (I think the other one, family trip to a birdisland was better, you can see it one my web-page, it's called "Runde"). In Reborn I use the poems in front and at the end, in the middle I try to show the poems with my video.
I've been filming (otter, white tale eagle and seal) all weekend so I havent got time to watch every video yet - but I sure will tomorrow evening.
Thanks again for comments.

Kevin Railsback March 25th, 2007 03:06 PM

Geir,

Ahh, I feel reborn. :)

I didn't mind the aged film look in the opening shot. I thought it went fine with the city feel. Would have been cool to see a desaturated look to the city and the the great saturated color you had in the 2nd half.

The bird diving was my favorite shot. You hit it just right with the music. Of course, I thought the music was perfect in the whole film.

Thanks for taking me away if only for a couple of minutes!

Trond Saetre March 25th, 2007 03:32 PM

Geir, I just watched your video as the first one I watch.
I really liked how you went from the city out into the nature.
Well done!

Per Johan Naesje March 25th, 2007 11:09 PM

Geir Inge,
this is a very nice peace of work. I liked the transition from the citylife to the quiet wildlife scene.
The red baloon that suddenly disapeared, the street musicians which are a common view in the city, the crowdy streets, and suddenly the quiet at the fjord, a lonely boat, seabirds. You could have made some more natural sound in the second part, some seabird sound etc.
The zoom transition in the end is mentioned, though I know your intension and plan for that!
Overall impression, a very nice film, well edited, good colors and sharp pictures.

Geir Inge March 26th, 2007 01:49 AM

Thanks for comments Kevin.
I wish I had Per Johan's lenses for the diving scene, though .
But, I'm just so close to get me one :)

Geir Inge March 26th, 2007 01:57 AM

Hi Trond and thanks for your comments, I appreciate it a lot.
I went to Molde (Norways city of jazz) and I just had to shoot some scenes.
It's a beautiful city, surrounded by alps.

Geir Inge March 26th, 2007 02:20 AM

ooops, then there where 2 answers to Per Johan.
Can you Meryem or Mat cancel this one?

Thanks Per Johan for your comments.
I wonder how long it took before someone mention the baloon.
Well, I think it flew out in the wilderness, in search for new/fresh air, to fill it up :)
I tried out several ways to put sound on this film.
From birdwhistle to sounds of the sea.
There are, though, some natural sounds in it, but maybe it's a bit too low. There are natural sound in the boatscene and when the common shag is flying away (flapping wings), and some birdwhistle in the flowerscene.
As I told you (on the phone) I had plans for my ending scene. I was to film a spot in the woods, theres a very beautiful path with old trees hanging over it. But as you now, when I was to shoot this scene the rain set in. The worst rain since 1958 (what is it about Uwol? last time we also get stuck with bad weather, I guess it must be a part of the challenge). The weather also ruined your trip over to me, the same weekend, you know.
So I had to use plan B for the ending scene, maybe I should have used a plain cut to the sunny spot in the wood, I see that.
One of the "rules" says that a zoom must end in something to look at, mine doesn't. But as we say in Norway: "You can't blew your nose, if the nose is gone".
You've seen my film from "Runde", and I was thinking of change my entry and send in that one instead, but I didn't because I allready had uploaded it to my personal web.

PS to you Per.
This weekend the weather has been very, very on my side.
I've been on the island shooting oter. Got some stunning scenes, but I was up early (5.30 am) and Mr Otto came right infront of me. It was great :)

Geir Inge March 26th, 2007 02:21 AM

Thanks Per Johan for your comments.
I wonder how long it took before someone mention the baloon.
Well, I think it flew out in the wilderness, in search for new/fresh air, to fill it up :)
I tried out several ways to put sound on this film.
From birdwhistle to sounds of the sea.
There are, though, some natural sounds in it, but maybe it's a bit too low. There are natural sound in the boatscene and when the common shag is flying away (flapping wings), and some birdwhistle in the flowerscene.
As I told you (on the phone) I had plans for my ending scene. I was to film a spot in the woods, theres a very beautiful path with old trees hanging over it. But as you now, when I was to shoot this scene the rain set in. The worst rain since 1958 (what is it about Uwol? last time we also get stuck with bad weather, I guess it must be a part of the challenge). The weather also ruined your trip over to me, the same weekend, you know.
So I had to use plan B for the ending scene, maybe I should have used a plain cut to the sunny spot in the wood, I see that.
One of the "rules" says that a zoom must end in something to look at, mine doesn't. But as we say in Norway: "You can't blow your nose, if the nose is gone".
You've seen my film from "Runde", and I was thinking of change my entry and send in that one instead, but I didn't because I allready had uploaded it to my personal web.

PS.
This weekend the weather has been very, very on my side.
I've been on the island shooting otter. Got some stunning scenes, but I was up early (5.30 am) and Mr Otto came right infront of me. It was great :)
I used 3 days to get this scene of 5 min, (thats life in wildlife filming).

Chris Barcellos March 26th, 2007 09:57 AM

Geir:

Had a little problem following the film in terms of the ultimate intent of your message- but the footage was beautiful and well done.