DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #2: "Welcome to the Dead of Winter In Northern California" by Chris Barcellos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/89777-uwol-2-welcome-dead-winter-northern-california-chris-barcellos.html)

Chris Barcellos March 23rd, 2007 09:42 PM

UWOL #2: "Welcome to the Dead of Winter In Northern California" by Chris Barcellos

Hi all:

On the road right now, and will be likely difficult to make comments on every ones films before I get back, but wanted to post info on my shoot.

This was shot in my immediate area (20 mile radius of my home).

River scenes were at the confluence of American and Sacramento River in Sacramento.

Bike race at Land Park in Sacramento.

Golf scene was of an old golf buddy shot at Bing Maloney in Sacramento. We play weekly, and on this day, I stuff my VX2000 in my golf bag and shot some scenes with camera sitting on ground, or bench or whatever.

Skydivers at Lodi Airport.

Softball at local Elk Grove park.

Except for the Golf scene, all other shots were done with the FX1.

Tried superwide screen on this.

Heard a lot of complaints about cold weather in one of the threads, so I thought I would try to rub it in a bit. On the day most of this was shot, it was around 80 degrees.

Blimp was overflying during the NCAA 1st Round of March madness.

Marco Wagner March 23rd, 2007 09:49 PM

Chris,

I loved your video, things flowed well, and you showed a great deal of diversity. Nice footage. My only thought was that the music was too fast paced for the shots. Other than that, NICE work!

Ruth Happel March 23rd, 2007 11:36 PM

You really got a diverse group of activities in your film! This would be a good promo for your local chamber of commerce. All of us in northern climates are definitely jealous- you accomplished your goal of rubbing it in :) We had snow here the first day of spring.

Ruth

Randall Allen March 24th, 2007 02:54 PM

Ruth beat me to the chamber comment but I would like to second the idea. Some truely awesome footage.

Did the boat driver ham it up for you or were you in the right place at the right time?

Randy

Ken Diewert March 24th, 2007 03:14 PM

Good Film Chris,

Nice mix of Recreation.

You got release forms from all the talent? LOL

Marco Wagner March 25th, 2007 11:18 AM

I loved the Waverunner almost nose diving!

Gabriel Yeager March 25th, 2007 12:52 PM

I liked it Chris. It was nice. I liked all the different sports and stuff in one. It was cool. I liked the music too. The shot of the baseball game was nice.

Good stuff! Keep up the good work!
~Gabriel

Kevin Railsback March 25th, 2007 04:18 PM

Chris,

You're lucky it's 80 degrees here in Iowa today or I would have been banned from the board for my comments if it were still in the 30's here. :)

First of all, bonus points for the girl in the bikini. :)

No doubt about you following the theme. :)

Nice film, I could easily see it advertising vacationing in CA on our TV's here in Iowa. My wife's a Monterey gal so there's no way I'm showing her this one.

Also back in my 300baud modem days, I used to visit a photographer in Lodi named Sparks Johnson. Heck of a photographer.

I thought the music was nice and energetic and fit the activities that were going on in the film.

Thanks for making me hate Iowa even more! :)

Mat Thompson March 25th, 2007 06:19 PM

Nice piece with mucho variation....I liked some of your detailing, the girls feet playing with the football was very nice.

I'd have liked to have seen a little more structure to the piece and personally the music really grated on me but hey thats personal taste.

Great shooting, nice piece !

Chris Barcellos March 26th, 2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Allen (Post 647575)
Ruth beat me to the chamber comment but I would like to second the idea. Some truely awesome footage.

Did the boat driver ham it up for you or were you in the right place at the right time?

Randy

Right place right time !

Chris Barcellos March 26th, 2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Wagner (Post 647988)
I loved the Waverunner almost nose diving!

I didn't realize how close he had come until I reviewed the footage.

Geir Inge March 26th, 2007 10:24 AM

Hi Chris and congrat with a well done video.
I agree with Marco, though, about the music.
On my PC the music sounded a little bit hollow?
All in all I think you've done a great job.

Catherine Russell March 26th, 2007 10:39 AM

Hi Chris:

Big points on variation. Thanks for dedicating this to all of us freezing cold entrants from up north or east. We are jealous and realize now why so many people want to live in California!

Great film.

Cat Russell
Spike Productions

Trond Saetre March 26th, 2007 11:11 AM

Chris, nice to see you captured one of my favorite activities... boating!
You have a nice video.

I noticed Geir Inge mentioned the music sounded "hollow". I did not notice anything wrong when I was using my speakers. (except for when using the built in speakers in my laptop, and those are crappy speakers anyway)

Funny to see how big mistake that jetski driver made, and almost made a nose dive into the water. Great that you were "at the right place, at the right moment" to capture it.

Well done!!

Brian McKay March 26th, 2007 12:56 PM

Chris:

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits

....damn.... people playing in the water, beach volleyball without a shirt. Right now I can walk on water(8 feet of ice) and if we played volleyball without a shirt it would be a short game(minus 25).

I realy enjoyed your film, quick paced and lots of variation.

Brian