DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL Challenge #2 Urban Recreation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/89902-uwol-challenge-2-urban-recreation.html)

Bob Safay March 25th, 2007 04:35 PM

UWOL Challenge #2 Urban Recreation

Here is my entry. Shot at Piedmont Park, Atlanta, GA. I have been fortunate to have lived by this park for 20 years. I used a Canon XL-2 and edited on Vegas. Music by Music Bakery

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...recreation.mov

Kevin Railsback March 25th, 2007 05:12 PM

Bob,

Nice day in the life of film. I was waiting for that great VO voice! :)

At 1:37PM what was she taking pictures of?

Favorite scene: The man in the wheelchair and his dog.

I think you did a good job showing the muliple uses our recreational areas are good for.

Good job as always!

James Hooey March 25th, 2007 07:59 PM

Bob,

Great montage of recreation going on at your local park. Lots of very interesting activities and pretty solid shooting throughout. Different angles might have added a bit more artistic quality, but the action is what drives this piece I think. The music is quite complementary as well.

Coming from amature land (speaking of myself) the question of model release was on my mind throughout this video. When you go out to shoot like this in public it would be a logistical nightmare to stop everyone that you shoot and have them agree to a release form. Is it free game in the U.S. to film recognizable people if it is in a public place? Does anyone know the legalities of this in Canada? I have read lots of info on the forums that leads me to think this is the way of things but here is a video perfectly exemplifing this.

Gabriel Yeager March 25th, 2007 08:04 PM

That was a cool video Bob. I watch it earlier on in the day, but you did not have a feedback thread for me to post my comments on, but now you do, so I can! :D

I liked how you showed all the different people in one place, I thought that was very cool.

It was so funny to see all the people there on photography shoots.
I was laughing so much when I saw the girl at 00:35 when she was getting her picture taken! She did not have much for a smile!

Fun video, Two thumbs up! Keep on doing what you do!
~Gabriel

Brian McKay March 25th, 2007 09:05 PM

Hello Bob:

Loved the film your in my top five for sure, Music was a treat worked super well with the overall mood of the film.

Must agree the powered wheelchair and the dog was excellent. Clean edits paced just about right.

Thanks Brian

Ruth Happel March 25th, 2007 09:12 PM

Bob,

This was a great slice of life. Gave a real feeling for the park, and the editing was good showing everyone really active and then winding down late in the day.

There must have been something about the man in the wheelchair and his dog, since that really caught my eye, too. Maybe that is the only thing I would change about this- I really wanted to see more of them, though of course that wasn't the theme of your video. I had the urge to grab your camera and follow him :)

Ruth

Dale Guthormsen March 25th, 2007 10:18 PM

Bob,

this was the best, of the non wildlife footage in my book. I liked the way you cut it together.

Chris Barcellos March 26th, 2007 10:16 AM

Very nice "slice of life" film. Its amazing what goes on in a public park, and all the different activities going on at that same time !!

Geir Inge March 26th, 2007 10:17 AM

Bob, I think your video was great.
Citylife can also be a place for recreation, and you've captured the essence of it in your film. Thanks for sharing and good luck in Uwol#2.

Trond Saetre March 26th, 2007 12:27 PM

Bob, you have a really nice video.
Nice to see other types of recreation than only sports or wildlife/animals.
Keep it coming. You do very well.

Marco Wagner March 26th, 2007 12:33 PM

Great shots, you really capture the reality of recreation, it's not all basejumping and dirt biking :-)

Per Johan Naesje March 27th, 2007 12:24 AM

First of all congrats with your runner up price!

I didn't have time to watch this before the decision was made. Second what have been said by the others.
The film had a nice pace with adequate music, nice edit good picture quality. Some shoots was out of horizon level but that is minor.

Keep up your good work Bob!

Bob Safay March 27th, 2007 03:45 AM

I want to thank everyone for your comments. I have been on the road and leave again this morning. I think these challenges are really making me think more about how I shoot and edit. Cannot wait for the next one. Again, thanks to everyone that tok the time to enter and to submit their videos. Bob

Catherine Russell March 27th, 2007 09:40 AM

Well done Bob:

I was very taken by this film. I thought it captured the essence of "recreation" to the best of all of us. And your film-making tallent didn't give it the feel of simply scenes of park-goers. It captured much more than that and had great composition.

Very well done.

Thank you
Cat Russell
Spike Productions

Grant Sherman March 30th, 2007 04:14 AM

Hi Bob,

Great video, my favourite 'people as wildlife' film ;-)