uwol drive by shootings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 25th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

uwol drive by shootings

Good evening,

Well, I am open for constructive criticism.

Driving around the country is something my wife and I do for recreation twelve months a year. We shoot a lot of video and have lots on file. Shooting in the given time frame was fun. I shot four hours of video tape to make the three minute blurb. We went from winter footage of the prairies to spring footage of the prairies. My daughter was up from San diego during this time which cut into computer time to be certain. I enjoyed it immensely. Almost all of the footage was hand held out the truck window. the greatest challenge other than steadiness was cutting down to the three minutes.

I have purchased a 100-400 lens so I can be further back and start shooting off the tripod much more often.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Major Player

That was a nice video! I liked watching the ice melt. and the little white squirrels(?). The out-house was totally unexpected and extremely funny!

I would say use a tripod. But that might just be me and my motion sickness that I am very well capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Good evening,
Driving around the country is something my wife and I do for recreation twelve months a year.
So do you live on the road? Or do you just travel alot?

I always thought it would be fun to live on the road for a little bit...

All in all, nice video. it was fun.
~Gabriel
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Trustee

Some beautiful shots there Dale.
My favorite is of the snow owl.
Nice done.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Enjoyed the footage, as you mentioned some time on the tripod will make a big difference. I just love the line on the road...hell I have exactly 32 miles of road to drive LOL.

Some excellend shots here.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dale, you have some impressive shots of the animals.
Some of the footage, especially in the beginning were shaky. I noticed it was ?strong? wind there, so did you have the same problem as I had keeping the tripod steady in some of my shots, or was it handheld?
A good tripod would have improved that part of your video a lot.

Keep up the good work! I like your video.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Dale,

You had some really amazing footage. It's hard to believe how much variety you got in such a short time. The prairies seem incredibly diverse, and you really captured that. As others have said, I would have preferred for some of the shots to be from a tripod, but then it wouldn't be drive by shooting!

Great job, and I am impressed by all the diversity where you live.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Trustee

Great stuff and loved the concept. You must get to see all sorts of interesting "recreation".
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Good evening,

thank you all for the kind words. I just received my 100-400 canon for future shooting, that should help me be further back and actually be able to use a tripod in the future.

no, I do not live on the road. I just live in the middle of nowhere. nearest real city is 50 miles away. That means our recreation is the countryside. To travel anywhere means a minimum of an hour on the road. The camera goes with us always.

Ironic is that most people do not perceive the prairies as a place to slow down and enjoy!! more like "let's get out of this desolite place!!"

the variety of wildlife is incredible. I shot several other species but I did not think the footage was good enough. I had a Raven but for my 20x + 1.6 the image was just to soft to use. After seeing Per's ravens I am particularly glad I did not use it!!

I can't wait for the next one in May as the spring return which is unequaled will be mind boggling, truly my favorite time of the year. Can't wait till tomarrow to spend a couple hours out with the new lens. Plan to get sharp tailed Grouse on a lek.
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Music

I forgot to mention, At present I have no smart sound or such. I phoned my old Friend Keith Richman in california and asked if I could use music from his CD. He won the National Finger Picking Championship in 1992 at the Telluride Blue Grass Festival.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Major Player

Dale
It is amazing what can be found out on the prairies and you keep showing it in your videos. I found your video very relaxing with your choice of music.
The Huns around here have already paired off and they keep startling the living daylights out of me when they flush. It sounds like you will have a fun spring. I take it you're also on a major flyway?
When you start using your long lens I would recommend some kind of sight system if you don't have one.
Good luck.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Gordon,

I am going to make a sight, for the longer reaches.

Pincher creek, not far from the Crow, one of my most favorite fishing spots!!! It is a pretty windy place you live in!!

When the grouse are picking for food along the road edge, I thought it was kinda cool as I placed "Strawberry fields forever" and then I showed the melting of the snow and the prairies with virtually no snow left.

I had fun making it.
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #12
Major Player

Dale
It seems the wind is what a lot of people remember about this area! The Crow "is" one of the best places to fish in this area. Did you ever work in Lethbridge at one time?
Take care.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Dale,

Once again a nice compilation of nature footage. I know how difficult it is under most circumstances to capture a good-sized image of a bird that shows up well even at normal resolution...let alone at the small sizes we need to use for our entries. Clever title...I know here back east you can make some incredibly close approaches to Ruffed Grouse from a vehicle that would be impossible on foot. Spring is bursting at the seams here in northeast Tennessee with more migrants returning daily and many species already fully into the nesting cycle. Headed your way!

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Good evening,

thank you all for the kind words. I just received my 100-400 canon for future shooting, that should help me be further back and actually be able to use a tripod in the future.
the variety of wildlife is incredible. I shot several other species but I did not think the footage was good enough. I had a Raven but for my 20x + 1.6 the image was just to soft to use. After seeing Per's ravens I am particularly glad I did not use it!!
Dale, you did a good job I think, very varied footage, the shaky footage is mentioned.
I look forward to view your footage with the new 100-400mm canon, maybe next uwol will?
My ravens was shoot with the Canon 500mm 4.0L, a huge lens, thanks to the IS the footage shoot with it is very steady and of course the tripod do it jobs too.

Very well done and the music was nice too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge