Shark Tank for UWOL #3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Wrangler

Shark Tank for UWOL #3

start jumpin, slackers!

fortunately, i am not jumping with you this round! yer gonna hafta swim without me! i'm excited to finally be able to put up an entry...bout time!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

download or swim!

Meryem,

I have finished my second attempt and have it ready to down load, I also got my first one compressed after hours of work. Now I have to pick one anddown load it.

I I can't get a copy of how to down load it I will be in the tank after doing two for this one!!

Could you email me a copy??? would like to download tonight.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #3
New Boot

Dale, if you are running PC in your browser type in ftp://www.uwolchallenge.com then enter the user name and password, copy your video and paste into the page, if your running a Mac you need to consult the email (sorry cant help you there) hope this helps.

Dave.
Dave Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm in the tank....but not with shame :)

Well I thought before this all started that things would turn out as they have so while I certainly hadn't put my mind in the failed attempt state....it was in the overwhelmed with work state. Here's my story....

Before UWOL3 I had been planning a promotional video shoot with Whitesquall paddling center in Parry Sound Ontario. My proposal to them was to take a sea kayaking instructors course at no cost for trade of a couple short promotional videos. I have just really started in the professional realm of videography and this was to be my first shoot for a client. From their point of view it was a very reasonable cost effective way to have a promo video created....from my point of view it was a great way to get further training at something I love as well as hone my skills in videography and create a professional demo reel to start my business.

So how did it go you ask? It was phenominal and few words can fully explain how the four days of shooting and training went. The course itself was two days of the past weekend spending 8-9 hours each day learning paddling skills, rescue techniques, navigation and group dynamics among other things. The first day was the technical learning, the second a full day trip through the 30 000 islands area of Georgian Bay.

I arrived a day early to begin shooting, getting such things as establishing shots of the stores (2), the grounds around Cole Lake (where the paddling skills took place), product and staff and customers. Later in the evening after talking with the marketing guy he suggested some scenic areas within the Town of Parry Sound and I took a trip in to town to find these as well. I came across a very high observation tower which made for some great shots of the harbour, downtown core and seaplane and boat traffic. I raced to a local museum and took shots of the grounds, some very old farm equipment and a nice reflecting pond. Then off to the marina for some closer shots of the boats, the 30000 island cruise ship, Georgian Bay Airways seaplanes at dock and some scenic nuggets of exploratory gold. Finally I wrapped up the first day with a hike down a rugged coastline trail to get sunset shots of the water and incredible rocky shorelines. Wildlife was not very abundant but some gulls played out well in the evening glow and some flora highlights were special finds. Wrapping it up I went back to camp at the paddling center and charge my and the cameras batteries for the next day of shooting.

The course played out over the next two days and I kept the camera/tripod with me while any of the onshore learning took place getting shots of the students, instructors, highlights of the course content and a few fun things like one of the staff herding chickens with a paddle. Out on the water I did not film but made sure that I could be one of the last out and first in to get shots of kayaking and the students completing various lessons.

The third day was the day trip starting again with some classroom talk where I was again shooting whatever was available. Then we loaded boats and made a shuttle to Snug Harbour (our put in). I was always there to capture the action. I switched video cameras for the day trip not wanting to risk my XHA1 to a watery grave, but took a smaller sony handycam in a dry sack and pulled it out many times on our paddle to get shots of the kayakers floating past and the incredible scenery. For lunch we pulled up on a small island and after a quick nosh I was shooting again getting the group as a whole and highlights of happy faces, boats onshore, scenery and anything else possible. Once the trip returned to harbour it was back to Whitesquall to wrap things up. I got a chance to interview a few students, the instructors as a group (they are great) and a few more opportune shots. That evening again I went into Parry Sound to further my exploration and was rewarded with a silohetted grandmother swinging a small child, a couple holding hands and walking over a incredible water surrounded rock and a sunset that I will be turning into a great timelapse. Finally back at camp I tried out the low light setting on the A1 and got a shot of me in my tent with a lantern casting my silohette on the tent fabric highlighted by a starry sky.

The final day was cold and getting up a 6am I was treated to a mist rising off of Cole Lake and frost on my tent, boat and grass. I wrapped up things at Whitesquall with some more interviews of the owners and staff and a few more key location shots of the outhouses, product and signage. Originally there had been plans to work a deal with Georgian Bay Airways and take a seaplane flight over the islands. At 2pm the call came back that it was possible and myself and 5 staff raced to town to go up in twos in their seaplane. I went with the last person and got great close shots of the plane, taxis, landings and waves of the passengers. For my turn the owner graciously offered to remove the passenger side door so I could shoot without having the glass affect anything. I can honestly say that during that flight I have never held onto my camera so tightly. The flight took us out into Georgian Bay and now after looking at the footage....some of it is pretty bumpy but there are some great scenic views that will blend very well into the finished video.

A quick wrap up at the downtown Whitesquall store to stage a sale (I was the customer) and then finally it was time to leave.

So....it's been an incredible weekend. I met some very skilled and friendly people, had a whirlwind adventure and capped it by having over 5 1/2 hours of great video to go through and edit down to some captivating promotional videos.

Shark tank of shame....mabey, but the water's soooooo nice.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Trustee

Select from the most spectacular and "wild" of the sea and coastal footage (including a kayaker or few) and edit that down to 3 minutes, add titles & music and upload.

You're bound to have some stuff that works far better than you can imagine.

"...Forest for the trees..." syndrome at work here.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #6
Tourist

Damn! Thought i had spare time!

Hi all,
so this is what you have to do if all goes wrong! Typically, my hours at work seemed to be steadying and my weekends were booking free for may, so i thought i would enter this competition after Matt got in touch to tell me about it. So i set out and got some nice stuff, some red pandas and lemur monkeys, as well as some otters and other stuff. I had what i felt was a really strong concept and i may still go ahead and finish it just for myself.So i started logging my clips and got a phone call for some work, and then another, and emails soon followed! I am living in a renovated house and as such, it was expensive and i cant ignore the bills, and thus, i did a few weddings and a couple of receptions - which was great financially but certainly not for my free time. On top of his i was being booked into evenning shoots at work which i had to do. Slowly i ran out of time.
All in all im gutted! But i have to enter thenetx one and i will finish the concept i have for the wild,
Hope to not be posting here for the next one,
All the best to the rest of you and good luck!
Dave E Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Wrangler

yo dale, i have now sent this e-mail 3 times! you have to check the e-mail address that you originally sent me...

sorry if i sound irritable, i'm trying to get one of my own entries in, for a change!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I got it!!!

I used it, not confident I got it in.

thanks!!!
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Trustee

Welp, strap me to the shark yet again. Time was not on our side as we are getting ready for a 2200 mile roadtrip very very soon. Too bad the deadline wasn't another week or so away, I'd have plenty. I did get some great shots of Old Tucson film Studios but not enough to get a nice submission. Sorry folks. I wanted so bad to finish this one!
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I so had the 31st in my head until last Monday when I looked again and realized it was the 21st...oops! I had an idea that sounded fun...even a storyboard, but I just couldn't find the perfect location or an actor in time! But mostly I couldn't find the perfect location! Sigh! I was excited to give this a first try too! Next go 'round I'm so IN! :)

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm standing here looking into the water wondering about my first time in the tank and cursing the cicadas....

When I signed up, the 17 years cicadas were supposed to be out around the 16th...
I had a plan and they were involved....
But cold weather has delayed them until Monday - Tuesday...at least...
So they wait underground....laughing at me...

Curses....and d@mn my inablity to change gears mid-stream...

Bob T.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Bob,

The prairie crocus is only out for a short time. I shot them one day, went back for more footage and it was over, at least I got some even if it was in the usual prairie wind.

So, I hear what you are saying!!! Hope you got something else.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM   #13
Major Player

Third UWOL challenge for me... Third time in the tank for me.

I actually did shoot some video this time around. Actually, I've got a timelapse moonrise that is awesome. But I'm not going to use it for UWOL, I'm saving it for something else I'm working on. I kinda started to edit a few things together for UWOL #3, but didn't get all the shots I needed for my idea and it just wasn't working out in a way I was happy with it. What can I say, I'm a perfectionist and don't like showing anything until it's finished and final and I'm satisfied with it.

O well, there's always UWOL #4. ...Heh, I said that about UWOL #3. hehe, good thing I'm not getting paid for this stuff. :)
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Trustee

OK, I am sorry to say that I am entering the Shark Tank. The one time I tried to get to the wetlands it rained so hard I had turn back. Then I ended up having to go on the road a couple of times and so, here I am with hat in hand saying. I AM SORRY. Bob Safay
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Wrangler

noooooo, not you bob! you always do such a nice job of inspiring my love of the planet...how could this be??

sharks, be kind! just nibble on him a bit....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge