UWOL#3 "Wilderness" by Per Johan Naesje - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Trustee

Per:

You delight the eye of the photographer! You have captured the spirit of "wilderness" with stunning visuals and extremely smooth camera movement that helps us to travel through and experience your piece of the world.

Your narration had a rugged strong character to it that matched the strength of the wild you portrayed.

And yet you showed us not only the untamed nature of it but a kind of gentle inviting beauty too.

With your permission, I would enjoy sharing this with our photography club also.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM   #17
Trustee

Thanks everyone for your nice comments to my film.

Bruce, as I've said to you before, it's a pleasure if you would share my film in your club. Just tell me if you would like a better quality file and I will provide one for you!

Mat, thanks a lot for your comments. I had more details and espescially some birds like Pygmy Owl and Siberian Jay in my mind when I was planning the film. Well, time didn't allow me to sit and wait for it.

Ruth, the footage of the water fall was shoot with the Jib/Crane placed on a tripod on a rock in the middle of the stream. I've put more info about this in an ealier thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....1&postcount=70

Jeff, the moving shot was done with the Jib/Crane by doing a sideways shoot.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:03 AM   #18
Major Player

Wow. Flawless in every detail. Moody, atmospheric and beautifully shot. Perfect pace, excellent use of music and a wonderful script.

Spot on, all thumbs up ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #19
Trustee

Per Johan,

I enjoyed your use of the jib/crane.

I also would like to add that I sense an evolution here in your film-making. Previously you have had a central visual 'focal point' to the story. Whether it be the Musk-ox, or your birds. Here your story features an 'area' which requires a more balanced perspective. And I think this is more difficult.

Very well done. This will only improve your fine film-making skills.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Wow!!! That was absolutely amazing!

Thank you so much for doing this one!!! I only dream of places like this!!! Absolutely amazing....

I love the use of crane footage! And the time lapses were awesome.

Great stuff! Can I come visit you!!???? lol, just kidding.. Altho, I would like to! lol.

You are a great inspiration for me, and I think its safe to say; all wildlife filmmakers!
~Gabriel
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM   #21
Major Player

Fantastic stuff and at the highest level of professionalism. My favorite shots were the lake with the clouds rushing by...I would love to learn your technique for capturing that...and the last shots with (you I am assuming) sitting in front of the fire (for some reason, seeing man staring into a camp fire gives me such a feeling of tribal beginings and back to basics with mother earth feelings).

Beautiful work...i am a big fan.

Jeff
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #22
Major Player

Per Johan
Yes another well done piece. You have some beautiful scenery and I like your message. I've always wanted to play around with a jib. But all the extra stuff to pack when you're by yourself has kept me just thinking about it but maybe.
Good job.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #23
Wrangler

it's been a lot of fun witnessing you at play with a new toy throughout this round (as a minor piece of constructive criticism, as with all new toys, maybe you have a few too many jib shots in this piece. they might be even more powerful if they were used a little more sparingly, but it is always irresistible when you find a new way to put the camera in motion, yes?)

how do you carry all these things??
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #24
Trustee

I can get my camera and tripod into Disney, but if they saw me coming with a crane they might balk a bit. You think? ;)
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #25
Major Player

Per Johan, I've posted a link to this lovely film on the scriptwriting thread as an illustration of how script in English can be sparse and spot-on ... don't be embarrassed, my diction can be pretty sticky too after a few pints!
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Per Johan,

Yours was the first I watched and I thought I wrote a response but I do not see it here.

Totally Inspirational. I can see where an economic jib can do some awesome things for ones footage!!

I thought the music was haunting and the image with the three holes looking like eyes and mouth was grand!! The troll look.

While the end with the fire was very nice and closes nicely I thought the image with the appearance of the face would have been a cool fade!!! especially with the music!!!

It makes me want to get out there and film more!!!!
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
it's been a lot of fun witnessing you at play with a new toy throughout this round (as a minor piece of constructive criticism, as with all new toys, maybe you have a few too many jib shots in this piece. they might be even more powerful if they were used a little more sparingly, but it is always irresistible when you find a new way to put the camera in motion, yes?)

how do you carry all these things??
Meryem, I'm not sure if I agree about overusing the Jib/Crane shoots. It's only used 4 times throughout the film, at 01:12, 01:25, 01:58, 2:17
All the other are regulary tripod pans and tilts. I'm specially satisfied with the smooth tilt sequences I'm able to archieve thanks to hours and hours of practise.

I have to walk several times back and forth to get all my equipments to the location. That is the hardest about using this kind of stuff in the wilderness, no roads.
Luckily it's "safe" to store the equipment out in the wilderness when I'm carrying another load. No thief will ever think about carrying the stuff back to a car!!!
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #28
Trustee

Once again thanks everyone for your kind words!
Ken, I appreciate your comments very much, thanks.
Dale, I will think about your suggestion to my next entry :-)
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
Per Johan, I've posted a link to this lovely film on the scriptwriting thread as an illustration of how script in English can be sparse and spot-on ... don't be embarrassed, my diction can be pretty sticky too after a few pints!
Brendan, thanks for spreading my work, I appreciate it very much! I had to provide a working link at the scriptwriting thread! When you copying links make sure you right-click on the link, then "Copy Shortcut", then past it in to your replay.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #30
Major Player

Sorry for causing that problem, Per Johan, and thank you for your guidance on posting links ... which I am printing out and sticking up in front of me to remind me.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge