DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#3 "Wilderness" by Per Johan Naesje (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/94671-uwol-3-wilderness-per-johan-naesje.html)

Per Johan Naesje May 22nd, 2007 07:06 AM

UWOL#3 "Wilderness" by Per Johan Naesje

The theme - "The Wild" lead me directly to one of our last wilderness places left in Norway. Trillemarka is a fantastic area, 205 square km of untouched old growth forest. This is also the last bastion for a lot of redlisted species.

The film is shoot with Canon XLH1 camcorder and entirely with the new Canon 6x wide lens. This gives the film a great dimension I think.
I've also used some Jib/Crane shoots basically to enhange the beautiful scenery and get some interesting close-up shoots.
Most of the sound is naturally recorded with a pair of Sennheiser ME-67 shotgun microphones.

This is a "one-man" production which mean a lot of carrying of equipment to the different locations. There is only one forest road leading in to the area. The Jib/Crane (incl. 10 kg of weight), tripod, camcorder +++ had to be transported by foot to reach the most interesting locations areas.
The film is shoot in 2 weekends at the location or a total of just 4 days. Beforehand I searched the web for information and especially pictures of the aerea and wrote a manuscript based on this information. This was an interesting and new experience, to write a manuscript based only on facts and picture from the web!
The first day on location I did mostly reconnaissance to look for places to shoot to match the manuscript. Next day I did as much shooting as I could before I had to return back home. Safe back home I studied the footage to find what I had and what was missing to get the film done.
Next weekend I took off to finish up the shooting at the location. Everything went very well, the weather was nice as you see in the film. And this is the first time I managed to film the entire manuscript without changing anything on the way.
There are some minor flaws; difference in colors, and an out of focus shoot, my bad english to mention a few, but as an overall I'm very satisfied with this production regarding the limit of time used.
I've also tried to make a "spooky" effect don't know how I succeded?

Technical:
Camcorder: Canon XLH1 + 6x wide lens
Tripod: Miller Arrow HD
Jib/Crane: ProAm DVC200
Sound: Sennheiser ME-67 shotgun

All footage shoot in 1080i/50, shutter 1/50, used CPL (polarization) and ND where requisite. NLE Avid Liquid 7.2. Compressed for web by Sorenson Squeeze Suit 4.5 (Sorenenson 3 codec)

Link to the film: http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...wilderness.mov

If you would like to view a larger version:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/UWO...derness_lg.mov (67.2MB) Recommended!

Enjoy!

Vidar Vedaa May 22nd, 2007 07:38 AM

The wood.

Butiful film Per Johan, i think it will a hot Uwol if it go on like this.
Good Luck.

Best Regards
vidar vedaa.

Jeff Swick May 22nd, 2007 07:50 AM

Hello Per,
You have provided a very nice set of film making techniques along with some beautiful scenery! I thought that the "disappearing" and "reappearing" Per (?) was an intriguing touch. I laughed at the fast zoom on the "face" in the landscape. The time lapse was wonderfully done as well. Looks like the jib makes one think about shots in a whole new way...and is fun! Well, Per, thanks for your efforts...they were very much worth it! Looking forward to the next installment!

j.

P.S. How was the moving shot done? Hand-held and walking? Quite stable for that.

Trond Saetre May 22nd, 2007 07:51 AM

Once more we got a great video by Per Johan!

Some of the clips were shot by using the new jib, right?
Great camera angles above the stream.

Tom Schumann May 22nd, 2007 08:13 AM

hi per,

these are some impressive images, this is a very nice film. especially (!) because of what you call your 'bad english'. this accent is what makes your films unique (like corvus), gives them a personal touch and it really fits the wide and open of images just right.

very nice one, good luck

Rick A. Phillips May 22nd, 2007 08:15 AM

Wonderful scenery, Per. Reminds me a great deal of some of our high-elevation spruce-fir forests here in east Tennessee...places like the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I especially enjoyed the fright-factor of the goblin-face. That's a good bit of equipment to haul around and looks like you put it to good use. I don't know why, but I think your narration and particular accent adds something to the overall "wild" feel of the film and I enjoy that. Another fine challenge work! Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Geir Inge May 22nd, 2007 08:48 AM

Hi Per Johan.
Your video is stunning, I must say.
Excellent work as always, you never stop amazing me, with your beautiful colours, the brightness in every scene and then the goblin (troll) came :)
A very nice plot and your narration was just fine.
I did enjoy your film very much and thank you for sharing.

Catherine Russell May 22nd, 2007 09:13 AM

Hi Per

Captivating, beautiful, you fully developed the feel to the theme. Thanks for the experience. Always a pleasure to view your work!

Cat Russell
Spike Productions

Mark Williams May 22nd, 2007 09:37 AM

Haunting music and beautiful imagery.

Oliver Reik May 22nd, 2007 10:12 AM

'...where trolls and goblins meet...' :-D

+ beautiful pictures
+ a good message at the end
+ great scenery
+ great voice

Just wonderful!

Regards, Oliver

Chris Barcellos May 22nd, 2007 10:32 AM

Per:

As usual, you are the "example" that the rest of us aspire to in our next film. Another great job ! The jib shots were great. Just would like to see a "making of" showing you carrying in the equipment. :)

Mat Thompson May 22nd, 2007 12:07 PM

Well visually stunning as usual Per. I loved the use of the jib to create the super smooth , truck like shots...at least I guessing thats what you did! and the shot dropping down into the river was great too, oh for that jumping salmon:) !. I think your narration works well and gives your films a nice edge, If you don't mind me saying your voice is quite wild and craggy and works well for natural history voiceover.....its funny in this round many people seem to have started using voiceover, your influence from the last round maybe!

I'd have like to have seen some detail in the piece. I know you've said you were shooting all wide angle but I think this makes things very '2d' without closeups and detail cuts shots etc. I'd have also like to have seen a few examples of the life in the wildnerness...your film made it feel a little 'lifeless' to me but again I know you were doing a landscape study!

Great stuff, always a inspiration !

Ruth Happel May 22nd, 2007 12:11 PM

As always, a very nice film. The spooky theme was a fun touch. And I really appreciated your concluding message.

A question, there was one shot, presumably with the jib, showing the water flowing down only inches away from the camera, a very spectacular shot. How exactly did you do that? It made you really feel as if you were right down in the water.

Kevin Railsback May 22nd, 2007 07:57 PM

Per,

Beautiful film as always. Like Mat's work, I never expect anything less than beautiful from you.

I see you threw in a disappearing filmmaker as well. :)

Your work is always a visual masterpiece.

I really don't have much to say cause it's the same stuff I've said about all your previous entries.

All of us have a good film inside of us. You manage to create a great film every single time.

You're always on my shortlist of first viewed films.

Congrats on another great job!

Brian McKay May 22nd, 2007 08:15 PM

Per:

I expect nothing less of you...wonderful as expected. I wanted it to go on and on and on.

Great stuff.....Brian