UWOL #3 The Green Tara by Meryem Ersoz - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM   #16
Trustee

Hi Meryem:

Just wondering.... Bhutan is a fairly closed and secretive country. How long in advance did you have to get permits to visit and what is the story behind being selected to enter in. Wow, there is a lot behind this film. Watched it again, pretty amazing and enchanting.

Thanks for the sharing of this footage.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM   #17
Major Player

This was a very evocative film. The soundtrack drew me right in, and seemed to tumble along with the images. After you described your aim, it makes sense looking at it in that light. But apart from the theme, it's just a very strong film with the meshing of sounds and images. There are so many great details, both with the animals and the people. You also did a great job with framing and exposure, technically, especially given the challenges you faced in working on someone else's schedule. I hope we see more films from you in future challenges- it's way past time for you to join in the fun you've set up for all of us :)

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #18
Major Player

Hey Meryem!

Thanks for uploading some of your footage from your trip! It looked like it was a fun place to experience...

I did not get your story until I read it here (sorry). But it made perfect since what you stated it!

Cool stuff! I can't wait to see more from it!
~Gabriel
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Hi Meryem:

Just wondering.... Bhutan is a fairly closed and secretive country. How long in advance did you have to get permits to visit and what is the story behind being selected to enter in. Wow, there is a lot behind this film. Watched it again, pretty amazing and enchanting.

Thanks for the sharing of this footage.

Cat

it was not that easy... since we're all video editors here, we can understand how complicated the workarounds can get...and that's what we used....that's about all i can say. kinda one of those: "i could tell you but then i'd hafta kill you" thingies.

thanks for the comments, folks. it's nice to have an entry, finally, and to have a chance to play. since i (and only i!)know the theme for UWOL #4, i have to start planning now! should be most interesting, don't miss it!

glad to hear the feedback from the other women in the coffee klatsch. i'm glad you all are playing so consistently.

bruce, this was shot using the 560B. i tried a 561B, but it base seemed looser to me, whereas the 560B, though lighter, felt tighter and could hold the camera up without me even touching it, as long as there was no wind, and as long as i had adequate time to balance it (rare...). can you address this? did i just have a loose copy of the 561B? i loved the extra weight, but the cartridge in the base didn't seem as versatile. would love to hear your thoughts.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

It would seem your base was loose. :o)
Seriously, there is an adjustment to tighten up the base to suit any given style or camera weight. It is shown in section 9 of the instructions.
Don't know that I would let my A1 sway in the breeze but as long as you have one hand to steady it is amazing. I ended up keeping my right hand on the pan handle and my left hand on the lens barrel for instant adjustments.
Bruce Ellingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #21
Trustee

Okay! I'm hoping to still be around until at least the end of the UWOL challenge so I won't inquire anymore! I kind of like the livng part to life..HA.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #22
Wrangler

thanks, bruce--

can i just say "doh!", of course there is probably a way to tighten it. add that to the ongoing list of me overlooking the obvious!

the other thing i like about the 560B with the A1 is it works as a cheap n dirty flowpod. i have a lot of glidecam-y footage of me walking the camera across flimsy wooden bridges over water towards monasteries, etc., but you guys are just going to have to buy the DVD when it's released, i guess. like i said, these are mostly the leftovers....

the 561B is a little weightier, which is nice for most applications, but for cheap addition of weight to the camera, the 560B fits my strength and size.

so much gear, so many applications!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge