UWOL #3 "Fort Chadbourne" by Bruce Foreman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #3 "Fort Chadbourne" by Bruce Foreman

Some of the history:

This place is located roughly halfway between San Angelo and Abilene, just about an hour's drive from where I live.

The closest town is Bronte, Texas 12 miles Southeast of the fort. When established in 1852 it was in the middle of "nowhere", part of what would be a string of forts from Northeast Texas down to the Southwest.

Abandoned to the Confederacy at the beginning of the American civil war, it was reoccupied at the end of that war and patrols against hostile bands of Commanche, Kiowa, and Apache were based out there for the next two years.

With the establishent of Ft. Concho in 1867, Fort Chadbourne after that year was no longer fully manned, but used as an overnight stop for troops out of Ft Concho. Fort Chadbourne saw use as a station for the Butterfield Stage lines and eventually became privately owned.

The ruins of the fort on the Chadbourne Ranch are now being restored by the current owner with much of the funding coming from him. It is now open to the public and a fascinating place to tour. With the celebration taking place in May, I couldn't resist doing this one.

Parts of the place still look pretty rough and wild. Don't sit on the Cactus!

Link to the entry:
http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...chadbourne.mov
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Trustee

In my childhood we, the kids, always played cowboy & indian, and when the grown ups asked me what to be when I grew up, I said: "I'm gonna be an indian".
Great film Bruce, informational and from a historical point of view.
Your mix between comments, music and natural sound is well done.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I found myself wanting it to last longer. Great job.

Bruce
Bruce Ellingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Bruce

I missed this one on the list, somehow. You got me fired up again.... I want to make a western......

Nice to have some period stuff to work with, and documentary with a bit of documdrama was a great way to go at the beginning.

Nice job...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:44 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
In my childhood we, the kids, always played cowboy & indian, and when the grown ups asked me what to be when I grew up, I said: "I'm gonna be an indian".
If you can find a DVD copy, "Grey Owl" starring Pierce Brosnan, is based on a true life account of an Englishman who did just what you describe above. Very well done with excellent cinematography, I found this a most enjoyable film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Great film Bruce, informational and from a historical point of view.
Your mix between comments, music and natural sound is well done.
Thank you very much for your kind words. Like you, and Archie "Grey Owl" as long as I can remember I've felt an affinity for the Native American. And then a few years ago I found out there is a bit of Cherokee in me on my mother's side. She grew up in a time when that sort of thing had to be hidden.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Ellingwood View Post
I found myself wanting it to last longer. Great job.

Bruce
And it will. The raw footage shot for this lays part of a foundation for a longer documentary on the Texas forts in this area.

I've been asked by the Director of Education at Fort Concho to do a 5 to 7 minute short that will "loop" in their visitor center. I agreed to do it in return for a signed release from everyone who appears in it so I can use it in the documentary.

Fort Concho is the best restored frontier fort in the west, too restored in my opinion. But the Fort Concho project will allow me to film living history unit and cavalry drills in a more controlled environment where I get to do more direction instead of having to catch it from the sidelines.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Bruce

I missed this one on the list, somehow. You got me fired up again.... I want to make a western......

Nice to have some period stuff to work with, and documentary with a bit of documdrama was a great way to go at the beginning.

Nice job...
We get each other fired up on these things. When I realized May 4th and 5th would bring an event with re-enactors I just couldn't pass this approach up. I had to wait all day for the opportunity but finally got the cavalry unit to meet me off the grounds where we could get away from everyone for that intro sequence.

The one thing that was really missing was that there were no Indian re-enactors. These guys are getting so expensive they are getting $10,000 for a weekend appearance. If I were younger and could pull it off, I think I'd let my hair grow really long, dye it black; don paint, loincloth and deerskin leggings, and learn to mount a horse with only a blanket for saddle and woven grass halter for reins.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:34 AM   #8
Wrangler

bruce, you definitely win for "most consistently unique approach to whatever themes i toss out there...."

is that a category??
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Major Player

great documentary of how things used to be , nice shots and great action. Keep em coming!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Bruce, your videos keep impressing me.
I loved this one.

Good luck with the extended version you are going to make.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Trustee

Bruce,
I think you did a real nice video here. You managed to give me a good insight to that time within your 3 min film.
Very nice cinematography and your narrating is like a professional. The Texan's at 1:25 was scary! Looked like he was gonna shoot you down!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey Bruce:

I agree with Meryem, you have a very unique way at looking at things, but why are we surprised at this one? There is nothing wilder than the wild, wild west.

Great video. Something like this to loop at a visitor center will be very enjoyable as well as informational.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Nice job Bruce! Thanks for the little history piece!

Was that live rounds in the rifles, or was it just blanks?

Canons can be so loud! Someone fired one off last year near me and I thought they were joking, but they were not and when it went off I felt like passing out... Not fun. I guess I should pay more attention next time...

Great job!
~Gabriel
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post
Bruce, your videos keep impressing me.
I loved this one.

Good luck with the extended version you are going to make.
I feel like I'm just trying to emulate the expertise I see here on this site. I am very impressed with the talent and professionalism demonstrated with each of these challenges.

When folks like you give me favorable feedback, that is a big part of my reward for having participated. Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Bruce,
I think you did a real nice video here. You managed to give me a good insight to that time within your 3 min film.
Very nice cinematography and your narrating is like a professional. The Texan's at 1:25 was scary! Looked like he was gonna shoot you down!
The first time he did that it startled me so much I didn't even think to roll tape. Then I asked to see the revolver, it was an authentic working replica of a Smith & Wesson "break top" revolver that was actually seeing Western frontier use before the Colt Peacemaker.

Then when I saw there were no cartridges in it I had him draw and point while tape was rolling. Many re-enactors were wearing "six guns" that were working replicas but not loaded. All seemed to be very aware of safety.

The cavalry were carrying working replicas of Spencer carbines, average cost about $1200; it gets very expensive for these folks. Each buys his own replica period weapons, uniforms, and provides his own horse and authentic cavalry saddle.

As a side note: I asked several if they felt a sense of history while doing this and to a man the answer was, "Absolutely".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge