Next UWOL is approaching at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #1
Trustee

Next UWOL is approaching

Hello all fellow challengers!
It's been quiet on this forum for some time, so I gonna light up the fire for the next challenge ;-)

I got an idea to spread the words about this challenge on other boards, maybe we can catch some new fish! Most certainly there are people out there not aware of this challenge and who would love to take part!

July is the month of vacation, at least in my region of the world and maybe people got some sparetime to join the challenge if they are aware of it!

Let's spread the word!
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Trustee

I'll be in Southern California for the first week of the challenge. Sure hope I can snag some footage while I'm out there. Otherwise it'll just be another duck and mushroom video for me. :)
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Wrangler

that's great, per...if you want to run with promoting the Challenge around the web, that would be excellent. we've had a bit of partnering (like with michael's fast filmmaking website, etc.) that has just evolved naturally and mat's article on wildeye, and i've done some things locally, but if you and anyone else want to spread it around, all the better. since we're all volunteers, all the time, the more help the players can contribute, the better.

this is a for-love service, funded out of pocket (and we're into it for several hundred dollars in web hosting and international shipping costs and a few of the prizes--we're not making a dime, but we are spending a few!! ....) and through the incredible volunteer efforts of our team. if someone has a sponsor they want to solicit, send me an e-mail, and i can provide some figures and statistics which may help. the sponsors who have stepped up are wonderful additions to the game. but we could use more sponsorship. more players = more sponsorship opportunities = more prizes. every bit helps.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Great idea Per! Lets do that!

I'll be leaving town to the far most north-west point in the U.S.A. during the signup period. If only we could have gone in the first week of the challenge.. :-(

~Gabriel
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #5
New Boot

What's the link?

I'm interested and would like to know more. I live on a Texas ranch and would love to put some of my footage into the competition!

Where can I find out more?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Eldredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Trustee

Ben,

Just direct your browser to: http://www.uwolchallenge.com/

Welcome aboard!
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Wrangler

sign-up will begin here in our DVinfo sub-forum in one week. look for a sign-up thread on june 22 or thereabouts...
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks

Thank you for the replies.

The weblink didn't work, but I'll keep my antenna out for more info.
Ben Eldredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Trustee

Ben, give it another try. I just clicked on the link given and the site came right up.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Trustee

Ben,

I just tried the link again and it works fine on my end as well.
You'll find all the rules etc there so it's a good place to start your planning for UWOL#4
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Great idea,

I am going to go to two photoshops and solicite prizes and see if I can get them to sponsor our group, even if in a small way.
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #12
Wrangler

it's great for people to solicit new players and get the word out about the UWOL Challenge on the internet to other potential players, but please, please, please do NOT solicit prizes on behalf of the Challenge.

we are cultivating very specific relationships and arrangements with our sponsors, and there is no way for the players to know what these are. with the best of intentions, you could unwittingly damage these relationships. so please don't attempt to represent the Challenge to sponsors without express permission.

if you talk with someone who is interested in acting as a sponsor, either give them my e-mail (uwol@comcast.net), or else forward their e-mail to me, and i'll be happy to contact them.
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #13
Major Player

I was told a couple of weeks ago about a film event running in London - called "Cannes in the City", run by a group of indie film-makers - they are running an event tomorrow, and hopefully be showing my UWOL entry on the big screen later on in the evening (I didn't realise it was actually a competition, and it didn't make the final shortlist, but they liked it enough to want to show it). Hopefully a good bit of exposure possible there ;-) I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Cheers!

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Wrangler

i'd be happy to start a list of UWOL screenings to add to our website. for instance, i screened per's and mat's winning entries (with their permission, of course--nobody should do this either without getting the winners' okay first--the players own the rights to their work, not the UWOL Challenge...) at the Boulder Adventure Film Festival to help get a little exposure for the Challenge locally.

if your film screens in a festival or local showing or something, send me a blurb and a link to the event, if possible, at uwol@comcast.net and we can add it to our website, once we have a few of these.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge