UWOL #4: Water Is Life by Catherine Russell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi Cat.

A circular polarizer is a filter that you attach to the front of your camera, and it spins (almost like a focus ring). By spinning it, it allows you to change the amount of reflections on water, windows, glass - anything.
For example, you could have your camera pointing thru a window. You have it so that there is no reflections on it, you then spin the filter to show yourself and camera (actor, or whatever is seen fit). Its a really nice little filter to have. I wish I had one during this challenge, it would have helped a lot..

Heres what you come up with when you do a search for them on B&H.

~Gabe
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #17
Trustee

Thanks Gabe!

That's awesome information. You're the best. It sounds like there are infinite possibilities with that kind of filter. Not only am I getting a kick out of your films, I would love to see your photography too, isn't that what you were doing before film?

I forgot to answer your question to me, please forgive! I do 90% of my work in Adobe After Effects. I will be 110 and still be cracking the tip of the iceberg as to what you can do with it. It is very powerful. Like the circular polarizer, if you can afford it, it is very worth the investment.

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #18
Major Player

I know... - Just kidding.. Hahaha.
Thank you. :) Umm, before I got into DV, I had a Hi8 cam that I used with some friends.. Mostly all improv stuff.. But around that same time, we got a point-and-shoot 2MP camera that I used (and still do).. I would just bike or walk up to a park, and whatever I see interesting, I would take a picture of it, and try to get creative with it. So yes, I did do photography before videography. But before that, I did lock-off madness with a Hi8 video camera. So thank you for the kind words! I should look into posting some more pics on my site.

Ah, very nice. If only I could come close to affording it... In to future someday, maybe I will. :)

~Gabe
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Hey Catherine,

Cool video...I only wish it had been edited a little faster and that you had used the reflection transition as a common thing throughout the video.

It was very tranquil and enjoyable...too bad the little koi didn't snap up that pesky yellowjacket :)...that would have been sweet!!!

Good relaxing piece

Jeff
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #20
Trustee

Catherine, cool video I liked it very much. Sorry that you missed the deadline.
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Catherine, your film is the first one I watch, so you are my top 1 at the moment, haha.

To make a long comment short, FANTASTIC!
I really like what you made.
The music fits well, the reflections in the water...

Next time we'll make sure you sign up before the deadline! ;-)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #22
Major Player

Been trying to download this video for 3 days now,but with my lousy bandwidth its been a bit of a mission.Now that I have it downloaded I can see what everyone means by the editing.Its stunning,I have to learn to do that....good work
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi guys! Thanks for the comments, as always... so very much appreciated!

Trond, you simply crack me up! But I think you're on to something! Simply watch my video first and no one else's and my film will always stay number one on your list! Yeah, I like it! HA!

Jeff, thanks for the watch! I understand, slow moving pieces take real talent to keep them interesting!

John, it's so nice having you a part of the uwol family. Thanks for the kind feed back.

Per, this film must have been a sleeper after the thrill of filming wild bears 100 yards away!

Take care you guys and thanks for watching!

Cato
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:12 AM   #24
Major Player

Cat
To bad you missed the challenge. Some shots may have been a little long for me but over all it was an interesting video. You’re definitely getting better with AE.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:12 PM   #25
Major Player

Catherine,

I really like the way the dissolves create a dreamy feel, when you aren't quite sure when one image merges with another. Very creative. The koi were beautiful, are they your fish? The globe spinning at the end was a dramatic touch, you are great at computer editing.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM   #26
Trustee

Hi Ruth and Gordon:

Thanks for the input, I sincerely appreciate and respect your comments.

Gordon, I agree with you. Overall, I liked how it came out, but to really snag people's attention in a very slow-moving clip takes great talent. Perhaps if I had one more "dimension" to it that would have done the trick. Isn't it amazing how long 3 minutes is in film?

Ruth:

So glad to have you back in the loop! How was your vacation? Welcome back. Thanks for your kind feedback Ruth, I always look for your comments. The koi live at a neighbor's. I had a kick out of adding them into the fountain by special effect. I actually fooled Kevin R who thought they were really in there!

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; August 1st, 2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Trond, you simply crack me up! But I think you're on to something! Simply watch my video first and no one else's and my film will always stay number one on your list! Yeah, I like it! HA!
Cat
Yep, I had to watch your film first to see what you came up with this time.
And you delivered a great film as usual.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM   #28
Trustee

Wow Trond:

You are kind, and simply put a real friend. Thanks for looking out for me and giving me the heads up I missed the sign up deadline. I don't think that's really something to notice, I know I wouldn't have if someone missed the deadline! You're the best.

Cat
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #29
Trustee

I hope my fish gets that big, lol

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge