DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #4 "Transformation" by Brian McKay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99555-uwol-4-transformation-brian-mckay.html)

Brian McKay July 23rd, 2007 09:17 AM

UWOL #4 "Transformation" by Brian McKay

When the theme was announced I thought no problem this one is going to be so easy....how wrong can one be. This was the toughest of the challenges so far. But what the heck it's been fun as always.

Unfortunately I kind of broke a promise...I said no snow in number 4 and well although I didn't show any snow I did show a lot of ice.

For a bit of added fun I used some super slow motion at the beginning then threw in a few shots taken from one of my helicopters.

I look forward to your comments..and of course seeing all the entries.

Brian

Rob Evans July 23rd, 2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian McKay (Post 717085)

then threw in a few shots taken from one of my helicopters.

From "one" of your helicopters?????!!!?????

How many have you got????

can i borrow one for the next challenge??? ;-)

Brian McKay July 23rd, 2007 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Knowing that my wife may read this post I'll only mention the three capable of carrying a camera. The whole helicopter thing is another hobby of mine, I build and fly big scale models. By taking off the scale body and adding a tail boom etc they will lift a camera slung below the landing skids.

Yes you can borrow me and the machines anytime just let me know when and I'll supply the address for you to send the airline tickets LOL.

Brian

Rob Evans July 23rd, 2007 10:26 AM

Ha! Fantastic ;-)

Being an avid powerkiter I've spent ages playing around with getting shots from on the kite, using mini cameras and wireless links. I love the perspective it gives you - really looking forward to seeing what you've done with the footage ;-)

As for the ticket - how MUCH weight can one of those things carry and will it do a cross atlantic trip on one charge? hehehe :-)

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 10:41 AM

Brian,

I think you did a grat job portraying the change of season of the tundra!!! I liked the pace, never a dull moment! I liked th last shot where you start from above and move down eventhough it was a bit shakey!!

Marco Wagner July 24th, 2007 08:26 PM

You sly fox! I loved it.

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 08:50 PM

Brian,

Nice to see something other than snow and ice up your way. Looked awesome.
For footage from a model helicopter, it was surprisingly good.

Sure looked like the fox wanted to take it all in one trip! :-)

I thought it was a good film. Really showed your neck of the woods coming alive!

Brian McKay July 25th, 2007 05:32 AM

hello guys:

thanks for the comments, as always i had fun doing the film. i learned a few things along the way.

i'm slowly getting to see the entries, a long process up here.

again thanks.

brian

Kevin Railsback July 25th, 2007 05:33 AM

Brian,

I'll hook you up again, just kind of swamped here at the moment.

Brian McKay July 25th, 2007 06:53 AM

no problem kevin, when you have time it will be great. in the mean time i'm pulling some of them down one at a time.

brian

Catherine Russell July 25th, 2007 09:02 AM

Hi Brian!

Nice job here. I couldn't help contrasting the radical difference in the surrounding environment from uwol3 and uwol4. Wow, when spring comes... it really does it in splendor!

Thank you for this! It was wonderful.

Cat

Jeff Hendricks July 25th, 2007 09:55 AM

Interesting film...you make watching ice melt actually enjoyable.

Hey so I have to ask...did you bait the rock so that the little fox or coyote (whichever that was) would come? It was really terrific footage.

I liked the helicopter stuff but you will need to figure out how to put some kind of stabilizer on there so that you can get real smooth footage...if you can do that you can sell your talents.

Nice work, thank you

Jeff

Gabriel Yeager July 25th, 2007 08:47 PM

Hey Brain!

Thanks for posting this video! Its great! Absolutely enjoyed it..
I sure would like to be in a place like that some time.. It looks cool!

Thats cool you do model Helicopters. I have always wanted to get into the hobby, but never had the money....

Great stuff man! I look forward to your next one! :)
~Gabriel

Brian McKay July 25th, 2007 09:07 PM

thanks for the feed back. when it came to the baiting my intention was to clean up the left overs from our fresh fish shore lunch. my intended customer was the gulls, what a great surprise when the arctic fox showed up. since then i found the den complete with new born pups.

the most difficult part of the helicopter thing is eliminating the vibration and or isolating the camera from it, still working on it. the new mount i made recently seems a bit better then the one i used here....time will tell.

thanks brian

David Gemmell July 26th, 2007 02:40 AM

Hi Brian,
Really enjoyed your entry - such a diverse range of activity taking place in such a remote area. The Artic Fox (I assume) shot was wonderful, along with the diverse bird life.
The transformation as the snow melted really came across well in your story - which I thought was a great theme.
Well done...