DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #4 "Drinking water" by Markus Nord (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99560-uwol-4-drinking-water-markus-nord.html)

Markus Nord July 23rd, 2007 09:30 AM

UWOL #4 "Drinking water" by Markus Nord

Hello folks

This is my thread about MN_UC4_Drinkingwater.
My film is about such a simple thing as your tap water. I wanted to produce a UW film but with a simple meaning, a story that could begin, Highlight and end in 3 minutes. The challenge with a 3 minute film is, what I thing, to come up with a story that work during 3 minutes. It’s hard to get the story to work…
I, personally, don’t like films that only show pictures to music. I want a meaning or at least a story.

Story behind the film:
One morning I sat down with a glass of water in my hand. I looked down in the glass and the idea struck my… I’m going to produce a film about drinking water…
I know that the lake that my town take there drinking water from is located just 10 km from were I live. So I packed the car and took of. The shots I got during one hour dive were enough. Than the problems come… how should I transport the viewers to the lake? I come up with the idea to film in a pipe… but how? I remembered that I got a surveillance camera that is rated to 10 meter of water depth, which I never used. So I taped the camera to a fishing pool and than flood a pipe and stick it in…
I hooked the camera to my XL2 and recorded the image… pretty ease. Than the beginning shot in my kitchen… done!

Please… give me some feedback on everything, Filming, editing, voiceover (I know, my voice is not the best and English is my 2nd language), soundtrack, storytelling.

Thank you for viewing my film!
Cheers

Markus Nord

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 01:43 PM

Marcus,

I just finished viewing all the videos and evaluating them for my own edification. I must say that yours place farely high on my list!!

I liked the pipe view, how did you do that?

nice underwater footage.

good job!!

Bruce Foreman July 24th, 2007 02:05 PM

I can't see your film. It loads with the QT symbol in the middle of my screen then when the file transfer looks complete a large question mark appears and nothing more happens.

Do you have a version of it on another website?

Markus Nord July 24th, 2007 02:39 PM

Bruce:
I think that you need to download. Right click and download the film.

Dale:
Thank you... I did the pipe sequence with a small surveillance camera taped to a pool. This is some “behind the camera” photos:

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/963...0056lz9.th.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/566...0057ax3.th.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/737...0059kp0.th.jpg

The camera got about 40 IR diods that works in low light (for night surveillance).

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 04:21 PM

Mmm, I get audio but only a black screen. SOunds good from what I've heard. :)

Catherine Russell July 24th, 2007 05:59 PM

Hi Markus:

I'm having trouble too. Like Kevin, I get audio but not your video. When it comes to technical problems with movies, I feel for ya. I've been chasing mine all day.

Let's figure out what's going on and get it fixed, from Dale's excitement it must be fabulous.

Cat Russell

Markus Nord July 24th, 2007 11:38 PM

It sucks that you can’t view my film… Have you tried to download the film? I just did and it works for me. It is a .mpg film so I don’t know what could be the problem. I’m playing my film in VLC, maybe some weird problem with your media player… please try again.

Lisa Shofner July 25th, 2007 04:15 PM

I liked your film, and was able to view it using Winamp. Funny, you had almost exactly the same idea i did for the film. Some of the same shots (yes, i had planned a pipe shot too). Glad you got yours done and posted though. I hadn't planned on any actual underwater footage though - vegetation in murky lakes freaks me out (just watching your video was giving me the heebee geebees).

I wonder, if you color corrected to remove some green would the images underwater look clearer? I'm most experienced with murky photos and correcting color and levels has amazed me in the past. Of course, then the video probably wouldn't terrify me so much. ;-)

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 06:40 AM

Hi Markus.
It was nice to watch a film from our neighbor country, Sweden.
Well done both storytelling and narration.
I would love to hook up that great fish (gjedda).
Those clips from the pipe was awesome, but maybe I loved your diving scenes the most.
Sweden is a beautiful country and as in Norway we are lucky to still have clean water.
Nice job done and good luck in uwol.

PS
Two years ago I was padling canoe on the lake "Western Silen" and it was great. I stayed at Sommarvik camp. I also had a trip to "Glaskogen".

Geir Inge

David Gemmell July 26th, 2007 11:05 PM

Hi Markus,
Very nice.
Lighting and colour was excellent and I really enjoyed the relaxing, almost hypnotic feel as you took us on the underwater journey.
I didn't realise pike would allow you to get so close, the shot was like the opening of "Finding Nemo".
Lovely underwater piece with a very nice overall feel to it.
Well done.

Vidar Vedaa July 27th, 2007 06:05 AM

Markus,
I am not a filmexpert,But I rely like yor film.Underwahter photo loch
realy facinating,lock forvord to see more of yore movie ,and lern
from you.

Jeff Hendricks July 27th, 2007 10:25 AM

Beautiful film,

A story from the eyes of a water molecule. Really nice film. I think you are one of the only entrants to actually film underwater. Great story nice photography and interestingly narrated. I wanted to take a big drink of the lake water as I was floating around with you.

Wow cool to find out about how clean the water is there.

I enjoyed the ending photography as well...nice job.

Thanks

Jeff

Meryem Ersoz July 27th, 2007 10:43 AM

hi markus: i viewed your film using the VLC player just fine. but the quicktime player played it audio only (screen was black), and when i tried MPEG Streamclip, it had the same audio-only outcome. seems weird. usually MPEG streamclip has no problem handling mpeg files.

i'm wondering how you compressed this--fortunately, i have every player on the planet loaded into my computer, but not everyone does. we want to be sure that everyone can view your entry.

Markus Nord July 28th, 2007 12:27 PM

Hi everyone… Thank you all for you words.

Lisa:
That sounds cool that you got the same idea. I have color corrected the UW shots a lot… But in the same time, if you would correct it to much that the fresh water filling would be gone, but I made the UW scenes a lot more “blueish”.

Geir:
Thanks Geir… That Pike was not that big… but big enough. I’m pleased with this film; I think that the storytelling worked. Yes, we are lucky that some of ours lakes are still so clean. I need to have a chat with you… you seems to be a cool dude. I think that we could do some cool productions together.

David:
What I have noted is that fresh water pikes allow you to get closer that the one that lives in the brackish water of the Baltic Sea. And of course, you need to move really slow, no sudden moves what so ever.

Vidar:
You can always ask any thing about UW filming. I’ll try to help you with everything I know. It’s a big step to take you camera under water… its so many new things you need to think about, and new things you can do with the camera. Just get out and explore!

Jeff:
Thanks Jeff, some times a do take a drink of the water during my diving… you are getting really dry in you mouth because the dry air you are breathing. I think that the ending shots is a nice cool ending and it shows some of the above/under water life if you know what I mean.

Meryem:
I have edited the film in PPro 1.5 and exported to mpeg 1. Some times the QT player doesn’t play mpeg films in the right way. I don’t know why, but it sucks… I compressed the film in the Ppro media encoder so I don’t know why if doesn’t work for some.

Markus Nord

Trond Saetre July 29th, 2007 11:41 AM

Markus, your film plays fine to me with windows media player.
(I had to download and save the file to my computer first)

I like your underwater film. It was well made!
And your narration and story was interesting.
Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to see more of your films.