DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#4 Touching Generations by Jeff Hendricks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99612-uwol-4-touching-generations-jeff-hendricks.html)

Jeff Hendricks July 23rd, 2007 08:12 PM

UWOL#4 Touching Generations by Jeff Hendricks

Feedback thread for the film “Touching Generations”, filmed in the Hope Valley, Sierra Nevada Mountains…I am looking forward to enjoying all of your films.

I would like to give a special thanks to Brad Murphy “Murph” and the band Slipstream for allowing me to use their song “Waterbound” in my film. They are an outstanding bluegrass/traditional band out of Boulder Colorado. I put their band’s website at the end of the credits please feel free to check them out and take a listen. Cool band, great music, and terrific people.
Thanks Slipstream.

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 01:29 PM

Jeff,

This video touched me!!! No it gouged me!! I have you in the top four to be certain!!! maybe it is because it is because I am older and more emotional, but all all I can say is great job!!

Jeff Hendricks July 24th, 2007 02:09 PM

I appreciate that very much Dale, Thank you

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 04:37 PM

Jeff,

Not just a great film but a great story too!

It really reminded me of "A River Runs Through It."

Beautiful imagery!

Steve Siegel July 24th, 2007 08:39 PM

Wonderful story line, excellent video, perfect music, tight editing, and very wet water. You might have had the mom call Ryan's name just a little bit louder at the end, but as far as I'm concerned, you have the winning entry.

Rob Evans July 25th, 2007 08:16 AM

Hey Jeff.....

Spot on.

Tight in every example - where your UWOL 3 film was ever so slightly overwhelming at points, you've stepped back, had a think about it and produced a piece that is perfect in pace, visual and vocal storytelling, and really captivating throughout.

I think the whole concept of sharing the same space of generations past and "echoes down the ages" will really touch a large portion of the audience - it certainly did with me...

Great work ;-)

Jeff Hendricks July 25th, 2007 08:44 AM

Thank you all for the very kind words, I am humbled

I am glad that it conveyed what I imagined, generations of people separated by hundreds, even thousands of years touching the exact same molecules of water; essentially touching history.

Jeff

Jeff Hendricks July 25th, 2007 08:48 AM

I forgot to give a big thanks to my terrific actors...so Todd, Ryan, Norma and Aiden...you guys were amazing in this thank you...

Love Jeff

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 06:24 AM

Hi Jeff.
I love this kind of films.
People out in the nature and kids playing around.
As I said to Chris, this is what makes us better persons.
Great storyline, great editing and great music and the link between the old man and the boy :)
Well put together!

Geir Inge

Mark Williams July 26th, 2007 07:49 AM

Jeff,

Very nice piece of work. You obviously put a lot into this. Great story that touches us all. I think you have a winner here.

Regards,

Ron Chant July 26th, 2007 12:11 PM

I can see that a good amount of time and effort put into this short, great story line giving a nice emotional feeling.

Chris Barcellos July 26th, 2007 02:15 PM

Jeff:

Glad to see something more dramatic in this challenge. Sometimes I think we try to keep all humans of our "nature" films, thinking that we humans are a contamination. This film shows that we are part of it, and have a choice of the mark we leave..... nice film.

David Gemmell July 27th, 2007 02:48 AM

Hi Jeff,
Well, this is one of my favourites - perhaps the winner!
I don't really know where to start but I always love films that bring out emotion in people, and this really did it for me.
The filming was sensational - effects, colour, composition, etc. But it was the story and how you conveyed this that was so powerful.
The filming quality was excellent Jeff - you should be very proud of what you created here - both my wife and I loved it!

Jeff Hendricks July 28th, 2007 09:01 AM

Wow, thank you all so much for the wonderful comments on my film. I have to say that I am glad everyone is seeming to understand it the way it is because I was almost ready to scrap the whole thing (on the Monday of the deadline no less) and re-edit the entire piece to make the story flow differently.

Thank you all again,

Jeff

Catherine Russell July 29th, 2007 05:40 PM

Hi Jeff!

I somehow didn't get the audio with this, but with your excellent filming and beautiful story, I don't think I needed it. It was so well done and touching. I'm certain the music would bring it all home, but like I said it is such a strong message it works without it.

All the best in uwol 5

Cat Russell