DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#4 "Hellesoy in sealine" by Vidar Vedaa (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99631-uwol-4-hellesoy-sealine-vidar-vedaa.html)

Vidar Vedaa July 24th, 2007 01:46 AM

UWOL#4 "Hellesoy in sealine" by Vidar Vedaa

First I myst give all in DVInfo a great tanks for this challeng.

I have some nice day on Hellesoy outside Bergen,in WestCoast
of Norway.I come nere by the sealine were the sea normaly is
wery hevy.Dyving on 1-3 meter and make clip on crab,shrims,lobster
baby anemona and many more.

EAW dyving bag
Clip made on Sony hvr-a1e
Edit in Final cut at 720p 10bit uncomp
Mucik by Willy Oleide my wifes broder

Film link HD-720p Quicktime mov H.264 74mb
http://web.mac.com/vidarjohannesveda.../Hellesoy.html

And good luck to all of you
Lock forward to see youe film.

Go now on 3week Holyday!!!

Mark Williams July 24th, 2007 06:53 AM

Vidar,

Very nice piece of work. I really liked the shot of the lighthouse then going under water. Wow, the water was really clear. I think you crafted a good story flow starting off on the shoreline, going into the water and coming back out again at the end. It felt like I was getting a very special view of something that most don't get to see. Also, nice music choice.

Regards,

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 01:26 PM

Good afternoon,

I think you a did great job cutting this together. I liked that it had a beginning above water, slide underwater(middle or body), then concluded outside of the water for the finale!! I am getting more interested in this under water videography!! the possibilities arre huge, and it is literally another world!!!

Nice job, thanks for sharing!!

Vidar Vedaa July 24th, 2007 02:29 PM

tanks Mark and Dale

Have some plane to make a 20 min film aboat the life to this diferent
creps.I think ther cold be alot in this macro world.

vved.

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 04:28 PM

Wow, nice film. The underwater scenes were beautiful. The clarity was amazing.

The only thing that didn't work, for me at least, was that the sound of the waves never changed as we went underwater. I think maybe I would have let the silence of being underwater speak for itself and just let the music play.

Nice film!!

Markus Nord July 25th, 2007 12:13 AM

Hi Vidar… Nice to se one more UW film… If I can come with some suggestions, it’s good to begin above the surface but try to move the viewers down to the water edge. It begins nice with the person at the water but then comes the close ups on the flowers. Show that you are still at the water edge and then move down into the water. During the water scenes, try not to have to many moving shots after one and another, maybe try to get some shot when you are still but the fish are moving. I always try to have one still shot before and after a moving shot. Thing that the moving shot is like transportation around at the reef, “the fish are taking you on a tour”. The sea life just at the water edge is so cool… I love that part… I don’t know how many days spend snorkeling or diving with my camera there.

About the wave sounds… I think they work… maybe not that strong... try to tone it down a little bit. Or keep the sound at the beginning and exiting the water. That would give the view the idea that you are getting deeper, away from the surface (and the surf).

Good job

Markus Nord

Rob Evans July 25th, 2007 08:04 AM

Hey Vidar,
I thought this film was simply beautiful throughout - the colour, clarity, use of light and editing. Most impressed!!!

Cheers,

Rob

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 07:41 AM

Hi Vidar.
This video is just great, I loved it. Maybe because I live near the sea.
Beautiful music fits the video. Those under water scenes where awesome.
Maybe you should have lower the water sound a bit when finished with the intro? Wish you all the best and good luck in uwol.

Geir Inge

David Gemmell July 27th, 2007 01:39 AM

Hi Vidar,
This truly was a great movie with so much happening under the water. I watched a few entries with some friends and this one certainly caught our eye. I do agree with Markus regarding taking the viewer down to the waters edge and would also have liked you to taken use through some of the events with narration - if possible.
I note Kevin's comments regarding the sound of the waves however, I thought it worked well. Perhaps the sound of a diver breathing or the sound of the bubbles may have been better - but I did find the wave sounds worked fine for me.
The music was very nice along with the clarity and colour.
Well done on a very nice entry.

Per Johan Naesje July 27th, 2007 05:25 AM

Hi Vidar,
you got a stunning uw-film here, I liked it a lot. So much life just under the surface that we don't see if we don't dive.
After viewing your film I'm thinking about doing some uw-stuff myself though I haven't any decent housing to my camcorder yet.
I agree with Kevin about the sound, but my overall impression was that this was one of the top entries in this round! It's not easy to get so good pictures from under the surface and you did it, good job Vidar!

Jeff Hendricks July 28th, 2007 09:20 AM

This is a superb piece of work. I have a love of staring into tide pools and this reminded me a lot of doing that...so I was enchanted by it. Very clear crisp images and a good pace to the film.

My only comment would be the sound of the water splashing was a little annoying. I would have liked the underwater bubbling sound much better or perhaps the wave’s sound at a very soft, low level. But that is only my take on it...your piece your choice on the sound.

Wonderful piece of film you have there...fascinating stuff.

Meryem Ersoz July 28th, 2007 10:27 AM

hi vidar: welcome to UWOL. i shoot with a ewa marine bag occasionally, and i know that they are not that easy to handle. i'm impressed with some of the footage you managed.

Trond Saetre July 28th, 2007 05:07 PM

Vidar, nice that you finally joined the UWOL family.

I like how you start and end above the water, and your music choice fits the film well. The colors are amazing.

As others have mentioned, the sound of the seas hitting the shore doesn't seem to be right when you are below the surface.
I would have removed that sound, or at least turned the volume down.

You did a good job, and I'm looking forward to see more of your films.

Catherine Russell July 29th, 2007 05:45 PM

Hi Vidar:

Welcome! I think Jeff Hendricks described it perfectly with the word enchanted. It simply was, enchanting. Nicely done.

Cat Russell

Vidar Vedaa July 30th, 2007 02:35 AM

Tanks Allot for all coment,
I must say this challange was rely facinating.
Tanks alot to dvinfo people and all challenger.
Look forward to Uwol#5.

Best Regards
Vidar Vedaa

http://web.mac.com/vidarjohannesveda...Info-home.html