DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #4 – At The Waters Edge by Ron Chant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99697-uwol-4-waters-edge-ron-chant.html)

Ron Chant July 24th, 2007 05:51 PM

UWOL #4 – At The Waters Edge by Ron Chant

In between the rain in the UK I managed each Thursday morning to get the short bits of footage for my short, it made a nice change from filming anglers and their catch.
Made a mess on uploading the 16x9 left with black bars.
The banks of the river that I took the video from is now under 4 foot water and looking like strong tea.

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 06:15 PM

Ron,

Stunning work man!
That was awesome.

You have a thing though for long vertical grasses or reeds in the left third of your frame though don't you? :)

The music was perfect for this piece. The image of the swam meeting it's reflection was killer.

Liked the crushed blacks and the nice colors too!

great job!

Dale Guthormsen July 25th, 2007 01:24 PM

Ron,

great Job!! you are in my top 4 .

I really liked the slow back zooM!!!

curiously, was it shot in letterbox or full 16x9

Audio was awesome!!!

Ron Chant July 25th, 2007 03:01 PM

Thanks Dale, I used a XL2 and shot in 16x9 when editing I for got to tick the 16x9 box in Final cut.
The thing is I was also cooking Sunday dinner for the family, and trying to edit, I’m getting to old for multi tasking, my eldest son works for Apple he said he’s had enough of using computers through the week but he did upload it so I blame him ?

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 07:34 AM

Hi Ron.
Colorful birds together with nice and relaxing music.
Loved this one, maybe the zoom out at 37-40 sec should be left out?
It was a beautiful little bird though.

Geir Inge

Rob Evans July 27th, 2007 10:21 AM

Hi Ron,
Some really well captured scenes there, and flowing editing.
Really like that swan reflection shot - pure genius!

Cheers,

Rob

Jeff Hendricks July 27th, 2007 05:39 PM

It was very mellow and cool...it had this calming effect on me. For some reason it reminded me of an introduction to "On Golden Pond" or something. You had Great shots of the birds and captured their cozy little environment as well.

Great job...thank you

Jeff

David Gemmell July 27th, 2007 06:40 PM

Hi Ron,
This entry has a very professional feel to it - I really liked this one.
The scenes were razor sharp and beautifully composed - which combined beautifully with the music.
I love filming birdlife and know how difficult it can be to get the shots that you managed. I also enjoyed your use of the different shots from differing areas of the waters edge, with different lighting conditions. This looked very nice and really added to the overall feel.
I think you have done a wonderful job here - even with all the multi tasking going on in your life. Well done Ron.

Per Johan Naesje July 28th, 2007 02:46 AM

Ron, this was a beautiful peace of work! Loved it very much. The mute swan sequence was top notch!
Sorry to hear about the flood

Meryem Ersoz July 28th, 2007 10:32 AM

hi ron: welcome to UWOL. that swan's reflection shot was breath-taking. it's always amazing to have moments like these, when it all just works. hope to see more from you.

Catherine Russell July 29th, 2007 05:33 PM

Welcome Ron:

Beautiful filming! Captivating. It takes you away to another place. The piano specific for the film added a lot too. Thanks for this one.

Cat Russell

Vidar Vedaa July 30th, 2007 04:39 AM

Ron,
Saw your film,and I must say It again you UK pepole have a
fantastic way to cut your movie.Nice Work!!!! so harmonic.
And fine music.

Love to see your next movie.

Trond Saetre July 31st, 2007 03:36 AM

Ron, welcome to the UWOL family.
I hope you stay with us for the next challenges, because your film is awesome!

The music was a good choice and perfectly fits the film. And I really like your editing. Well done!

Ruth Happel July 31st, 2007 02:36 PM

Ron

This was great. As others have said, the swan and its reflection was stunning. Keep up the great work!

Ruth