Shark Tank for UWOL #5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #31
Major Player

Hey guys,

Its not about time, themes, or anything like that! I think this challenge is very generous in those areas. And in General. Its lack of the capability to fallow my dreams. I normally have plenty of ideas, just flowing like crazy! However, none of them can be done in my situation, and can't be for another few years. This is of course, due to lack of transportation. I know I say that every time, but its the truth. I'm not making up excuses or anything like that, so please don't get me wrong...

When you are in the middle of two (big) cities, and what parks are there, got destroyed and turned into playgrounds, the only thing 'wild' you will ever find is most likely something dead (other then drunk drivers... But I repeat, something dead).

I had the option to do this killer documentary on the Humane Society not to far from here. However, I passed this opportunity up... This is not my kind of likings, it could have been a winner, but would I really care to get a prize, or even a shirt (I do want the shirt though!) if I hated what it was I did?

At this current point, I'm not even sure if wildlife is what I want to get into, I've never even tasted the wildlife experience in video (me doing it, that is)! I find the thought behind going out in the middle of nowhere, throwing out a tripod and letting it role as you capture and discover all sorts of things you never have before, absolutely amazing! But I honestly don't know if that will ever happen, or if it is just a dream...

Its just a tough time for me right now, and the ability to think clearly was lost back sometime in May of this year... So I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant or anything, not my intentions... But I've had a long and stressful night (and past couple of months), and it just seems to keep getting more so as it progresses.

So thank you guys/gals for trying to keep me out of the tank, but I'm still on 'the plank.'

We'll see, only one week left...
~Gabriel
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #32
Major Player

Hi Gabriel,
I get the impression life in general is really difficult for you at the moment (and in recent months). Hope the issues are not too serious and something you can manage.
Hang in there, and don't let life's pressures build up too much.
All the vest best...
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #33
Trustee

wow - where did the time go!

I actually got some footage of roos but it was the first time I've used the A1 and the HV20 and ... well I must have had the wobbly boot on.

I tried to keep something but ended up with under a minute of very average stuff

I hope the water's not too cold!
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #34
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I really could relate to your situation after getting about two hours of what I thought was reasonable material (Kangaroos) - only to struggle to put 3 minutes together of "quality" material.
I am seriously thinking of taking the long drive back to "my" spot up in the mountains to get some more shots.

Good luck Paul - I'm sure it will all work out for you. Still another week left...
Looking forward to seeing your entry.
David
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #35
Trustee

Go on guys.....more roo action !!!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Good morning,

Work has been blistering for me. first time on the computer in ages.

just finished reading all these posts!! so much so well said!!!

I had a documentary idea about Real canadian beef, wife and i worked it out. Just could not bring myself to do it, as kevin said, no passion for it.

I finally got some mammal footage (where I live is bird paradise), non domestic, but nothing to compare to what some people will get, like wolverines, bears, cougars or such!!!

Besides the HUGE learning experience, I just love seeing what people have to film in other parts of the world!!! We get to see things we would never have the opportunity to see.

so if kevin shoots only squirrel footage it is still of huge interest to me.

I also really like to see how people put their footage together!!! no matter what it is.

So guys, several days left, get after something, I will miss not seeing your goods.
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #37
Trustee

Tack me to the wall, all I can say is I'm totally done. It has been one disappointment after another these last couple weeks, I have nothing left to give at this point.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #38
Major Player

Come on Marco! You think of something...

Its amazing how such a "simple" theme can become so difficult! I would have thought this one to be easy, but its not...

Hopefully you can get something in. I would normally offer some thoughts right now, but I really don't have any myself.

Try to get something in though! I'm sure you can and your just not seeing it..

Best of luck everyone.
~Gabriel
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #39
Trustee

Thanks Gabriel, for the push. I just have had three attempts shot to shinola in the last two weeks and now have a huge pile of stuff on my plate. I'm not sure I'll even have time this week to film anything, not that there are many mammals around that aren't in cars...
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #40
Inner Circle

thought

Marco,

this has been a difficult one: Here is a thought

the local grocery store has lots of mammals in it. It is a totally different perspective. Different texture, looks, taste. You want live food? In the orient cat makes a good meal, in other parts of the world dog made a good meal in hard times. Ground up blackbirds (feathers and all) look better than the best ground beef, wait, thats a bird scratch that. You could have some fun creating a dialog for it too!!

think different
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #41
Trustee

And Meryem thought she was throwing us a bone. :)

Since it's killing me to be sitting on the sidelines, I've been cutting some of my recent Yellowstone footage late at night. Maybe it'll give some of you teetering on the edge some inspiration.

When I talk about passion, I talk about Yellowstone. It's the bar I set for myself when I work on these challenges. Although I know I'll never achieve it shooting here in Iowa, it keeps me reaching for that bar.

I haven't even come close to capturing and sharing with you the feelings I have when I'm in Yellowstone. Maybe if I keep plugging away, I might get close some day.

But for all of you in the tank or thinking about jumping in, this is for you. I hope maybe it will encourage you to go out and give it one more try.

I hope you like it.

http://www.silverphoenixllc.com/Yellowstone.mov
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Marco,

this has been a difficult one: Here is a thought

the local grocery store has lots of mammals in it. It is a totally different perspective. Different texture, looks, taste. You want live food? In the orient cat makes a good meal, in other parts of the world dog made a good meal in hard times. Ground up blackbirds (feathers and all) look better than the best ground beef, wait, thats a bird scratch that. You could have some fun creating a dialog for it too!!

think different
um, I now have to change my nickers after that one. I don't think I've laughed that hard in at least two -three days. So you guys aren't going to let me fail and I'll probably end up completely bewildered around 11:59pm on the 23rd. lol

Here's the straw... I was invited to a wildlife reserve to film several surgeries yesterday -a tiger, a white wolf, snakes, and some big rat looking thing from Padagonia (?). Without badmouthing anyone, this is so hard, we (me and two other animal techs, one other person) were shooed away from the pens long before or after I could get any good shots. It is very hard to go into as this is a public forum. But in so many words, they (everyone important) knew we were coming to film and it "seemed" like certain 3rd non-decision making parties (doctors and owners excluded :-) ) were not going to let that happen. They won. I got shots of chainlink fence and maybe a little bit of the wolf behind it before the shooing. I got other shots, but nothing that any of us can't get at the local zoo and no where near enough. Then I left. I'm not allowing myself to complain any further as it was a great "chance" at getting something hardly seen by the public. I'll post some pics of the wolf surgery that I did manage to grab. Maybe the lion that was upset and his pride.
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post

Now that is nice!
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #44
Major Player

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing this with us.

As I have said before, you are so talented, and I just love your work.
If some day I can create those sort of images and capture the feeling that you do, I will be very happy.

Got a sort of depressed felling, now that I have to go back to editing my UWOL entry.

Looking forward to you getting out of that tank so I can marvel some more.

David
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #45
Trustee

Kevin, absolute amazing and stunning footage from Yellowstone! I have to ask how are you shooting the bear scenes? Are you sitting in some kind of hides, in you car or just walking among them!!?
Yellowstone will definitive be on my wish list for places to go to before I'm leaving this world!

Thanks for sharing Kevin!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge