Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #46
Trustee

[QUOTE=Geir Inge;740330] just remember a uwol film can also be about chasing an animal, but you don't necessary have to find it. That's a story too, you know :)
[QUOTE]

Good point Geir - I think it would be interesting to see a behind the scenes 'chase' as a uwol entry !!

Are we are going to get Orca in UC5 too !!!? :-) ....wow that would be fantastic!

Last edited by Mat Thompson; September 6th, 2007 at 01:43 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #47
Major Player

I live on the south side of Washington. I can find all sorts of mammals, yes, but I can't get to them. I have no means of transportation other then my bike. That gets me a hole five miles from home.. Thats great, but I live in the city -- five miles will not get you anywhere but to more buildings. My park that I use to go to, and shot most of my little entry's at is being destroyed.. Ticks me off too. Heh, maybe I could do one of those little PSA's that you always see...

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. That would be fun.

I'll keep thinking about it..
~Gabriel
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post
I live on the south side of Washington. I can find all sorts of mammals, yes, but I can't get to them. I have no means of transportation other then my bike. That gets me a hole five miles from home.. Thats great, but I live in the city -- five miles will not get you anywhere but to more buildings. My park that I use to go to, and shot most of my little entry's at is being destroyed.. Ticks me off too. Heh, maybe I could do one of those little PSA's that you always see...

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. That would be fun.

I'll keep thinking about it..
~Gabriel
PSA title: "Mammals Need a Place to Go"
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #49
Trustee

Sorry to hear about your park, Gabriel, that's too bad.
And I guess I'm forgetting, in Norway we don't really have any big citys.
Oslo, our capital and largest city, lives about 600 000 people, and I guess that would be a small town in the USA :) at my place there's only 700 people and evryone know eachother.

Some more ideas though:
Man against mammals, use the destroyed park as an example.
Different kind of pets, ask your friends or if you have a pet yourself.
People and their pets, people in the street walking with their dogs.
Blind man and his leader dog.
Rats.

For instance, if you're filming a cat or a dog, or any animal. Try to be this animal in the way you move your camera, low shoting as you walk.
Though the limit of uwol films are 3 min, it don't have to be that long.
And remember it's just our fantacy that stop us from creative thinking.
Even the shape of a cloud can look as an animal.

All the best
Geir Inge
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Our Doberman has been going mad tonight, because the foxes in the area have having one of their noisy gatherings, screeching and yapping while running across my workshop roof and the neighbours sheds.

All I could see was dark shapes against the night sky, so I’ve cooked up half a dozen sausages , for camera smiling food early tomorrow morning, you can bet it will attract every crow in the heavens.

I know they love eggs I videoed some a couple of years ago at my sisters house, they pick them up so carefully
When they were feeding their young, my brother-in-law left out a packet of chicken drum sticks every other night the foxes took the leg behind his workshop to eat them, they I have some sound of the tucking in to their night meal with the sound of crunching bones
Some vid grabs of the egg eater.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...chant/Fox3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...chant/Fox2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ant/Fox101.jpg
Ron Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #51
Major Player

Hi Mat,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to capture the big red kangaroos, as they live further north in the interior outback regions. I will be filming the many Grey kangaroos that we get down south.

I hadn't been very excited at all about this theme however, your comments regarding kangaroos have got me fired up a bit - thanks.

Hope all is going well with your entry.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #52
Major Player

I've always loved to photograph wildlife (my first photography book was all about wildlife photography and what to put in your kit, how to get rid of your scent, where to look, etc...published in the 1980s). That was back in high-school days, when I could pursue hobbies. Through my working life, I lost track of that ambition (when I found out it didn't pay very well, that didn't help).

I have to thank this contest for re-sparking my interest in filming wildlife - though now I'm doing it with video instead of still film cameras. I am quickly relearning and recalling things I had studied before. New things too! Even though I haven't turned in anything I'd consider from "the wild", I am on the path to doing so soon.

But one thing that is really awesome about this contest. It has led me to discover things in the area I live that I didn't know about. I've been in Las Vegas almost 5 (long) years now. In all that time, I didn't know there was any wildlife other than the ducks at Sunset Park and the weekend party people. However, because of these contests, I have found 2 wildlife preserves - one only about 2 miles from my house, the other one in the middle of town!

I'm planning to visit both this weekend and am currently waiting on one of them to give me after/before hours permission to visit so that i can film some nocturnal Mammals ;-)

Anyway...that was a long post about not much I guess. Thanks for reading.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #53
Trustee

David : Yeah I love the big Reds, so much character to them but greys are very interesting as well. Have you ever seen 'Faces in the mob' ? Great film that follows the greys for a year. For me Roo's are just such a unique animals in so many ways I find them captivating.

So get fired up !.....you managed a roo starter in your last film....time for the main course fella :-) !

Lisa : Nocurnal will bring something new to uwol........tough stuff....best of luck !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #54
Trustee

Weather forecast

There's supposed to be a fjord and some land out there.
Sigh....
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5-regnver1.jpg  
Old September 7th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #55
Major Player

Hi Mat,

I believe I have seen "Faces in the Mob" - which, if it was the same documentary - was absolutely fantastic footage!

Thanks for your kind words on my last entry (given your standards, this does mean a lot). Now you have really got me excited about getting into this challenge!

I've decided to take a six hour drive to a very special place - where the scenery is absolutely beautiful and the kangaroos bountiful and in their natural environment (rather than the local golf course). Some very early mornings coming up this weekend...
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #56
Trustee

Have been rather busy in the past. My mammals at the mountains have to wait until next weekend. It's rain/snow and fog up there now, the forecast isn't any better for this weekend!
Interesting to hear about the plans from the others, I think we are going to view quite amazing entries this round!!?

Good luck and happy shooting to everyone!
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #57
Major Player

Managed to get out and video a few animals,got some elephant,buffalo and some buck on video.Decided however that these guys were a whole lot more fun and are only found in parts of Namibia,Botswana,and many parts of South Africa.Right now they are the stars in my next UWOL blockbuster.Dont be mistaken and think that this is Timon from the Lion King,they all just happen to look the same
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5-meer1.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5-meer-2.jpg  

Last edited by John Dennis Robertson; September 8th, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #58
Trustee

Uh oh. I was think of shooting that particular mammal myself. I'll switch to something else.

With any luck you will see a deer that stands on it's hind legs to eat higher off of the tree. Very odd looking.
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dennis Robertson View Post
Managed to get out and video a few animals,got some elephant,buffalo and some buck on video.Decided however that these guys were a whole lot more fun and are only found in parts of Namibia,Botswana,and many parts of South Africa.
You have so many exotic animals in your part of the world.
I'm looking forward to see your video.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #60
Major Player

Finally got all my footage and generally pleased with the results - although, the weather wasn't the best for those lovely backlight shots, etc. Anyway, I have something that I am quiet happy with.
I have attached a clip to give you some idea where I am heading.
Hope you are all progressing well.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5-bucks-fighting.jpg  
David Gemmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge