Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #61
Wrangler

that's fantastic. bring on the roos and polar bears and meerkats. this is going to be a most entertaining round of films....this is gonna be so much fun to watch.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #62
Trustee

Nice pics from your films John and David.
Don't know about you all, but I feel definitively that nr5 round of uwol is the most exciting one. Maybe because there will be many different animals to watch from around the world. Polar bears, roos, merkat, etc...
Also because, for me, the ultimate challenge is to catch wild animals on tape.

On the other hand, as for now, I still twine my thumbs patiently waiting for the rain to go someplace else.

The picture shows the place/little island where I'm heading to catch my last shots for uwol5, if only the rain will stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5-riste.jpg  
Old September 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #63
Trustee

David - This is fantastic. I love the way roos use thier tails as props while sparing. This is going to be fantastic....I'm stoked someone has brought roo's to uwol....if only it could have been me, unfortunately the distance is just a touch excessive!!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #64
Major Player

Awesome looking stuff guys!

Hm... Speaking of Roo's, who here on DVinfo was talking about 'Roo-Bars'? I need to go find that thread now. lol.

Still have not even touched my camera.
~Gabriel
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #65
Major Player

Geir you can send the rain my way. Need some before they will let people back into the mountains.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #66
Major Player

Good Morning:

That's it the reasonably good weather this weekend allowed me the opportunity to grab the last of the footage I was hoping for. Now if I can get the story that's running around in my head out the other end of my editor I'll be a happy camper.

Tonight with fingers crossed I'll start the edit process......with any luck I should be offering up five arctic animals.

All the best and good luck to all....man am I ever looking forward to seeing the entries.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #67
Major Player

well,shoot

My first plan for this challenge fell through. Went out over the weekend but only managed to get some footage of some insects. Not a mammal to be seen. Never heard back about permission to film after-hours at the local preserve, most likely they'll say 'yes' on the 24th...thats how things tend to work out. hahaha.

Plan B is in the works for this weekend as I'll be camping in central California. I haven't been to that area since I was a kid, but back then it was teaming with wildlife. If things haven't been too destroyed, I think I'll be able to find something.

If that doesn't work out - I still have a Plan C to fall back on. Hoping it doesn't come to that though.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner View Post
My first plan for this challenge fell through. Went out over the weekend but only managed to get some footage of some insects. Not a mammal to be seen. Never heard back about permission to film after-hours at the local preserve, most likely they'll say 'yes' on the 24th...thats how things tend to work out. hahaha.

Plan B is in the works for this weekend as I'll be camping in central California. I haven't been to that area since I was a kid, but back then it was teaming with wildlife. If things haven't been too destroyed, I think I'll be able to find something.

If that doesn't work out - I still have a Plan C to fall back on. Hoping it doesn't come to that though.
Hey Lisa:

What part of central California ?
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #69
Trustee

Well, for once....

The talent I needed didn't let me down. Had to reschedule a couple of times but yesterday at 5PM we got started.

It's a horse story, Cinco is an older quarter horse that has been used as a "lesson" horse, one people learn to ride on. So when Mike got him he was so used to being ridden only in an indoor arena kind of place, he would "freak out" when someone attempted to ride him out on a trail or in a pasture.

Mike has worked with him and now the two enjoy getting out and Cinco loves to "move out".

The stable owner says Mike is the first person he has ever seen Cinco develop a close relationship with.

Our film (Mike is an old friend from active duty times) will show this and portray one incident that actually happened.

I've got the first edit done but there is some "smoothing" to do and transitions that need work.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Hey Lisa:

What part of central California ?
Out near Lake Isabella, an area called Cedar Creek up in the mountains.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Today I got some shots for my main plan.
My sister is getting a baby dog in a few weeks, and we went to see it today.
I'll tell you one thing. It's very hard to film a bunch of puppys running all over the place. Had to go all hand held (of course).
Hopefully I can use some of it. If not, it's back to the backup again.

Gordon:
I'll do my very best to send some rain your way. We got way too much of it lately. :)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #72
Trustee

It's now or never!

As Elvis sing in one of his songs: "It's now or never......!!"

Well I put my cards on the weekend Sept 15. - 16. to go to the mountains and get some footage for the challenge.
Geir Inge emailed me a interesting link for weather forcast, which I have been looking into for some days and it's seems pretty accurate!
http://www.accuweather.com/world-for...RKINN&metric=1

Cross my fingers now! If not... ...plan B... ...hmm... let me see....
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #73
Regular Crew

You’re right Per Johan it is now or never, it’s the best bit of weather we’ve had in the southeast UK since April /May and my car is still in the workshop.
Ron Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #74
Trustee

Well I woke up at 7 am this morning and the sun was shining!!!
I couldn't believe my eyes, after weeks with rain, finally the weather's on my side.
I ran to the bath to wash my face and get dressed for some real nice shooting. Back in the kitchen again I looked out through my window :(
The sky was in total change, cloudy and the rain was pouring down - again.
Well, I just have to be patient I guess and maybe it'll change on sunday, at least the weather forecast looks promissing.
To get to my little island and film the rest of my uwol5, the sea must be calm and no rain. You can only disembark this island when the sea is really calm, as there is no dock. Just big waves/sweell from the North Sea, hmmm.
If you all think I'm moaning at this time, Yes I am :)

PS to Per Johan.
If I only had the time to make a trip to our eastern part, I would have considered "Langedrag".
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post
I'll do my very best to send some rain your way. We got way too much of it lately. :)
Thanks I hope you succeed.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge